WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Has anyone heard from the Rifle man.

I am sure he ran into some very nasty weather. Has anyone heard from him lately?

From his TJ, he said he was about to enter the Smokies a week ago, which is when the artic weather hit. Wasn't there also a good storm in those parts as the cold front came through? Hopefully he's hold up some where waiting for it to warm up again. If he doesn't up date within another week or so, then it's time to start to worry. When did 442 wash out?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I`ve been watching his journal as well with no updates, hopefully we hear something soon.

where is his journal?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    where is his journal?
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14325

No updates. Just sticking the link there for mtntopper.

I was hiking Stecoah Gap to Fontana last weekend (1/19-20) and a "Rifle" had signed the registers about ~1 day ahead of me. Saw his sig at Brown Fork and Fontana

Edit - I guess that jives with his last journal entry and above posts.

Last I heard, he was carving each of the 62 names listed in the graffiti thread in towns along the way, probably just stopped for a new knife.hope your doing well rifle. G speed

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Oh, rocketsocks. You're on a roll today. But don't quit that day job just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Oh, rocketsocks. You're on a roll today. But don't quit that day job just yet.
    Ain't working right now
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 01-27-2013 at 09:30. Reason: please report me, I can't stop

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Whoops. Wishing you gainful employment soon then.

Images

On his last entry on TJ he said he would update next time he has internet. Since it has only been 8 days I would not worry as the pace in winter is slow due to not as much day light. Not sure where his next resupply is but we will probably be updated in Hot Springs.

Very early starters tend to disappear on us. Not that anything happens to them. As an avid TJ folllower, I notice that the earlier you start the less the odds of finishing. The reality of 2200 miles combined with Winter trail life takes that early enthusiasm away. The lady who started early last year on TJ did very well and made it somewhere near half way. It was a very mild Winter and warm early Spring. It is so hard to keep your nose to the grindstone for very long in cold conditions. Money can be a real issue for some. Hiking in a bad Winter drains away funds as you are forced to hide out in towns. I hope Rifle makes it all the way to Maine. He would if he would just go home for about 2 months then pick up the trail where he left it.

Rifle was getting into Standing Bear on Thursday afternoon. Curtis shuttled me that morning.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Rifle was getting into Standing Bear on Thursday afternoon. Curtis shuttled me that morning.
    It's a long drive from Wilmington to the AT isn't it....? I always enjoyed getting to Spartanburg because I could see mountains on the horizon.

Ever consider moving this way? For me it was a magnetic pull I just couldn't resist.

Granted it is winter, but just heard there calling for some more bad weather in the middle of the week stretching from North Western Georgia up through Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K:1402649
    It's a long drive from Wilmington to the AT isn't it....? I always enjoyed getting to Spartanburg because I could see mountains on the horizon.

Ever consider moving this way? For me it was a magnetic pull I just couldn't resist.
    I'm hoping to get a transfer in the next couple of years to someplace with mountains.

I'm hoping to get a transfer in the next couple of years to someplace with mountains.
    We can help you with that!

http://denver.craigslist.org/fbh/3574114276.html

Maybe New Zealand?

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Whoops. Wishing you gainful employment soon then.
    Nooooo, Whyyyyyy!

I just spoke to dispatch and the backcountry office in GSMNP. They're looking into it. Anyone know his real name?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++