WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The same thing has happened on the Foothills Trail between Bearcamp Creek and Horsepasture River. This section is in NC. If they can catch them in SC and get a conviction the perps will lose their vehicles.

It would be in interesting to find out why they did what they did. I have some notions but this isn't the forum for them.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    It would be in interesting to find out why they did what they did. I have some notions but this isn't the forum for them.
    Nice to see you post. I know you caused a big stir with your other post, but glad to see you have learned & manned up & apologized. Keep posting & have an awesome hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainsmike View Post
    Nice to see you post. I know you caused a big stir with your other post, but glad to see you have learned & manned up & apologized. Keep posting & have an awesome hike!
    Opps sorry, didn't look at your age. Not the person I was thinking of. Really sorry!

Images

I would bet that Rifleman and the young man that tagged the shelter are not the same individual.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I would bet that Rifleman and the young man that tagged the shelter are not the same individual.
    His name is just rifle.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I know that you're both saying this just to blow off steam, but a few years back someone in my county actually stretched a rope at chest level across an ATV trail, it killed a thirteen year old.
    I did say I'd draw the line short of it. But a man can still mutter.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I did say I'd draw the line short of it. But a man can still mutter.
    Trust me, I'm not in a position to criticize anyone else for muttering.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Yes I was wrong! Shame on me for not looking closer. Rifleman I apologize again!

Some pretty long streaches of the AT in NC were tore up by ATV's when I hike through there in the late 80's. It was hard not to day dream about making land mines....

As for why anyone would do that on Max Patch, obviously it was a lot of fun and you can bet they had a good buzz on at the time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Same thing happens everywhere. On a trip on the Long Trail atv route crossed it. A bunch of atvers pulled up & the female I was with at the time was concerened because most were wearing guns. I told her they were just good old boys trying to have some fun & pointed out as opposed to trying to rev out of a muddy spot the winch on his atv would be easier & tear up the terrain less they agreed.Picture or Video 4989.jpg Picture or Video 4990.jpgEven when one wanted to use a chipmunk for target practice, we managed to talk him out of it. It all ended well. They fed us & gave us some beers & hauled our trash & trash in the shelter to boot. I think we helped educate them some over lunch.

A few days while doing chores a pick up stopped beside us as we were walking in town. It was one of the group. He wanted to make sure we had a place to stay, & offered one if we didn't. It's not us against them, it's about education for all. Go in with a level head & you might make some progress. Go in arguing might mean a confrontation. You could eliminate the "Everyone else is doing it" mentality if you are civil. Many just follow the beaten path. If it's been done before, why not me? Be nice but set them straight if you have the chance. Maybe you educate some, if not walk on knowing you tried to make a difference. I did, & it worked.

Yes I was wrong! Shame on me for not looking closer. Rifleman I apologize again!

Could not help myself .

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Really though, what would anyone do about it? Even IF these people get reported and caught, the fine is probably inconsequential. With these people ripping out equipment, they know exactly what they were doing. At the very least, an eye for an eye would do nicely here.
    In Massachusetts, back a while, they caught some teenage boys on the AT with atv's, they were charged and had to go in front of a judge. On top of a fine, the teens, along with at least one parent each, had to participate in day of trail maintenance with the local club. That day we built about thirty bog bridges, wich included hauling the materials down the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBrown View Post
    In Massachusetts, back a while, they caught some teenage boys on the AT with atv's, they were charged and had to go in front of a judge. On top of a fine, the teens, along with at least one parent each, had to participate in day of trail maintenance with the local club. That day we built about thirty bog bridges, wich included hauling the materials down the trail.
    That is awesome! A judge that makes a difference in a logical way! If you can find an article on it please post it.

Images

Castration is the obvious answer here.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Somewhat joking--and somewhat serious with this idea. It could be interesting if well armed individuals (armed with firearms and/or cameras--your choice) camped on/near Max Patch continually in shifts. Such people could be law enforcement people, small groups of National Guard--or concerned and well-trained volunteers.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Somewhat joking--and somewhat serious with this idea. It could be interesting if well armed individuals (armed with firearms and/or cameras--your choice) camped on/near Max Patch continually in shifts. Such people could be law enforcement people, small groups of National Guard--or concerned and well-trained volunteers.
    To protect dirt? Seems a little over the top.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    We can make them, how many do you want?
    Attachment 19327
    Hey, nice work. Those look good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    To protect dirt? Seems a little over the top.
    No one is saying to shoot the vandals, although it'd probably an inconsequential loss to society if it happened.

Images

Well, when they get caught the case will be in Federal court and not local. Wonder if our two NPS LEO Rangers are in on this one? After working with them I would think they are.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++