WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2013 Pups Attempting to Thru Hike

I'm looking to do some trail magic this year.. And while I'll support all hikers, I'd like to focus on helping pups get their 2,000 Miler status.

So.. Whose going out this year? Reply here, or message me.. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you!

I have a female Doberman, Kimber. She will be 1yr old this Feb, but I'm not sure about bringing her yet because of the logistics and if I do it won't be the whole trip. Maybe at least the start to the NOC since my step-sis lives near there, but my Mom alreadly wants to keep her while I'm gone so I haven't really decided either way. I want to bring her along, but doing a flip-flop adds even more planning. Even if I don't get to bring her through PA, glad to see there will be some trail magic for the dogs as well.

We have a dog who's a great hiker, but we are weary about bringing him because 20 miles in a day is a lot to ask of a dog. We can't have him in the Smokies, but have considered maybe having him join us for some sections. Getting rides would be tough!!! We are from NH, so closer to New England would probably be the time we'd have him. Anyways, we're still struggling with the decision.

It truly depends on the dog.. I met dogs that didn't belong on the trail.. But there were others, like my Diesel, that were made for the trail. 20 mile days are/were nothing to him, he'd still bug people to throw his ball in camp.

He did the 4 state challenge with me in 15 hours..

The ONLY problem with taking my dog with me.. Is now he's miserable with the "normal" lifestyle.. Just like his mom!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    The ONLY problem with taking my dog with me.. Is now he's miserable with the "normal" lifestyle..
    That's funny! I have a dog with the exact same problem, I so much as touch a piece of hiking gear he gets all excited like we're headed out on the trail.
    Also thank you for being so kind, hope to see you in Pa with my dog Mo Cheese!
    Last edited by polechar; 01-31-2013 at 14:30.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Me and my border collie Gus are headed out March 15th down the approach trail. Gus can run all day and still want me to play fetch or tug with him after when I am spent. Really excited to start!

He did the 4 state challenge with me in 15 hours..
    Wow, that is seriously impressive for both of you. My dog has done 28 miles in eight hours and I thought I was crazy to try that. He didn't seem to mind though, except when I slowed down too much.

His paws are giving him trouble now though... Anything over about ten miles seems to wear his pads thin for some reason.

i am also planning to start 3/15 or so, with my rhodesian ridgeback 'salsa', hope to see you out there, and thanks for the kind gesture

Images

Quote Originally Posted by polechar View Post
    That's funny! I have a dog with the exact same problem, I so much as touch a piece of hiking gear he gets all excited like we're headed out on the trail.
    That's great, pole! What kind of dog is he?
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

521.jpg572.jpg638.jpg
    He is a Beagle Shepard mix (lol), He was a rescue dog from a shelter, He absolutely LOVES the trail. I'm so proud of his hiking skills. He never carries more than 6 pounds when he's fully loaded. He's a great friend to have on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by polechar View Post

Yup! Diesel loves the smelly gear! Haha. I'd like to stay in touch with everyone and give you guys contact info if you need help along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by doobe01 View Post
    Me and my border collie Gus are headed out March 15th down the approach trail. Gus can run all day and still want me to play fetch or tug with him after when I am spent. Really excited to start!
    Awesome! I wish we were going back out this year!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Wow, that is seriously impressive for both of you. My dog has done 28 miles in eight hours and I thought I was crazy to try that. He didn't seem to mind though, except when I slowed down too much.

His paws are giving him trouble now though... Anything over about ten miles seems to wear his pads thin for some reason.
    Diesel's pads got a tiny bit tender in the Whites. Coming down Mt Washington he took a few pathetic steps, so we went back up and found a ride down to Pinkham Notch. We stayed in Gorham for a few days, and while we were there I contacted a local Sled Dog company owner, who hooked me up with some booties. They were awesome. Simple, cheap, effective. I can look up the brand if you're interested.... He wore them for a couple of days after our break, they didn't phase him like I'm sure big sneaker booties would.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    i am also planning to start 3/15 or so, with my rhodesian ridgeback 'salsa', hope to see you out there, and thanks for the kind gesture

Great!! Keep in touch!

Images

who hooked me up with some booties. They were awesome. Simple, cheap, effective. I can look up the brand if you're interested.... He wore them for a couple of days after our break, they didn't phase him like I'm sure big sneaker booties would.
    I'm interested in finding out the brand if it's not to much trouble, Thanks.

I have a pair of Ruff Wear Grip Trex for my border collie. They work great. Even has Vibran rubber soles.

Diesel's pads got a tiny bit tender in the Whites. Coming down Mt Washington he took a few pathetic steps, so we went back up and found a ride down to Pinkham Notch. We stayed in Gorham for a few days, and while we were there I contacted a local Sled Dog company owner, who hooked me up with some booties. They were awesome. Simple, cheap, effective. I can look up the brand if you're interested.... He wore them for a couple of days after our break, they didn't phase him like I'm sure big sneaker booties would.
    Are they different from the style REI sells (link below for reference.) I've been considering these for a while, but I'm not sure how he'd do with them. I'm not as concerned with brand as I am with the way they fit.

http://www.rei.com/product/832662/rei-dog-boots

No trouble at all! It's literally just "dogbooties.com" They have different deniers available.. I think the woman gave me 500 denier.. They have a downloadable sizing chart..

Images

Great! Thank you

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post

Are they different from the style REI sells (link below for reference.) I've been considering these for a while, but I'm not sure how he'd do with them. I'm not as concerned with brand as I am with the way they fit.

http://www.rei.com/product/832662/rei-dog-boots
    Definitely different.. These are super simple.. It's just like a mini pillow case style.. If they twist, no big deal.. If one falls off along the way, no big deal(except karma- pick up litter along the way to make up for your missing booty!).. If they wear, throw them away(they were cheap)! The dogs paws can still function like normal, spreading/expanding/gripping.

I'd definitely recommend them through the Whites! Or for when you notice an off step..

Holy crap! Forget the difference in style, look at the difference in price! Thanks so much, these seem better yet they're 1/20th of the price! Since when is that the case?

Images

Just ordered a set!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++