WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    People have walked the trail in heavy boots
    in tennis shoes,
    in trail runners,
    in lightweight boots,
    in sandals,
    and even mostly barefoot.

It obviously doesnt make that big of a difference. You are basically just walking.
    My son put about 150 miles on a cheap pair of Nike trail shoes that were $39, without a single complaint before he outgrew them.
    My girlfriend got plantar fasciitis from hiking in foot ware that wasn't supportive enough and it's still painful for her to hike or even stand around over a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by hahni1274 View Post
    The thru-hike is still lots of expenses for me, and I don't think I can afford to buy 4,5 100$ shoes.
    If you have thru-hiked with just one pair of shoes, let me know what you have worn
    Thanks
    I picked up a pair of Merrill Moabs after I met a hiker with over 1,000 miles on his. Used mine from Bear Mountain NY through the end of the trail. I think that's something like 800 miles and they're under $100. Another option is to look for shoes on clearance, they had 60% off on some trail runners when I was at EMS the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by hahni1274 View Post
    Hi,
    I am looking forward to my thru-hike this Spring! (late April)
    I had an impression that many of people frequently buy a new pair of shoes every 500 miles or so.
    Is this trend? Or necessity? If so, why?
    Since I have week ankle, I would rather go for a heavy duty pair such as KEEN Oregon PCT, 20 oz http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1
    or Salomon Quest 4D, also 20 oz http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Womens...n+hiking+boots
    (Even though the toe part of Salomon Quest 4D will fall apart pretty easily)
    Are they still needed to be replaced every 500 miles or so?
    I see people say the insoles are made of EVA which flattens within 300 - 500 miles.
    Why can't I just replace the insoles?

The thru-hike is still lots of expenses for me, and I don't think I can afford to buy 4,5 100$ shoes.
    If you have thru-hiked with just one pair of shoes, let me know what you have worn
    Thanks
    On my thru-hike, I walked into Hot Springs barefoot, rather than wear the poor fitting Garamont boots I had. Wayne at Bluff Mountain Outfitters fitted me with a pair of $49 mid-weight Hi-tecs with Superfeet insoles. Never had a blister. Never sprained an ankle. Wore them all the way to Katahdin. No complaints here!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++