WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cumberland Mountains near Interstate 75

Hi, I currently live in Powell, TN and from my home if I look north up I-75 I can see some of the Cumberland Mountains that are near the interstate that are pretty high up and I was wondering if anyone knows the particular names of each one or even the tallest one near the interstate, I think they might in in the big south fork park but they look closer to me than that, anyone know? If I have to I will take a picture and post it.

Frozen head is just west of there and I believe the second highest peak in the Cumberlands. I forget the highest, but I believe it is near Frozen Head. Black Mountain is near I-40 crossing, and you can drive up to the trailhead there. I don't know the specific names of the peaks you are referring to tho.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You might be talking about Devils Racetrack. The rocky pinnacle ridgeline feature near Caryville/LaFollete. I believe the whole ridgeline from I75 to Cumberland Gap is considered Cumberland Mountain. Last I heard CTC is still trying to get easement rights and build trail from US 25 to Cumberland Park.

Check the Cumberland Trail Maps.
    http://cumberlandtrail.org
    http://cumberlandtrail.org/cumberland_mtn.html

also check the maps on mytopo.com
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Peakhunter-

I live in Powell also. Small world. I know a few of the peaks, although I'm not sure which specific ones you are seeing. The tallest peak peak you are most likely seeing is Cross Mountain. Frozen Head is taller, but is also much further beyond that first line of mountains you see across I-75 and is obstructed from view. Devil's Racetrack is the most prominent landmark. The Cumberland Trail will take you to the top of each of these. From the Bruce Gap trailhead - 3 miles to Devil's Racetrack, about 3.5 to the top of Cross Mountain. There are 2-3 terrific waterfalls on the way to Devils Racetrack.

Ryan

Thanks TN Viking and VG, I appreciate all your help and I hope to hike it soon. Ryan, do you hike in GSMNP much? If so maybe we could plan a hike sometime.

++ New Posts ++