WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Regarding sizing up a hiker. While I as anyone else will size up a hiker, I also know that that's a preliminary step. Some people will manifest clinical behavior, but you'll see false positives and false negatives. I also believe from previous experience that few thru hikers would be a problem. But no matter how nice or safe a hiker (or anyone) seems always require safety of at least two adults whenever strangers are present. As a hiker I would never be alone with a minor no matter what the circumstances.

Dont wish to sound negative but advise to size up a person/hiker can be foolish. Don't let fear stop from hosting hikers as its certainly a wonderful endeavor.

I agree but not anymore foolish then inviting someone you met over the internet into your house.

I don't think it has to be a one or the other choice. And I also like the idea of stopping by the nearby hostel to see what you'll be getting yourself into as well.

Images

I wouldn't do it.

Here is a thruhiker (oops, hike got ended early) do you want him in your home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGgH...23855AE817C465

Images

You have been given a bunch of good advice but I will add one more bit. Stay current with whiteblaze as the really "weird" AT characters will usually be quickly identified here, many times with a picture. Also, be aware that a "dodgy" hiker can change his/her trail name many times, for their convenience. Be prudent and have fun with it. There used to be a farm known as the Red Roof Barn and they had a cooler and map on their porch and hikers could buy ice cream and snacks and their children could ask hikers about their hometown, etc and put pushpins on the map, all supervised. I think that the children were home schooled in a Christian way. They were a stone's throw off the trail with a sign/price list at the road crossing. A very welcome and pleasant break. Enjoy.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is certainly a safety factor here, as kids and strangers are involved. Having said that, I think it's an admirable idea and one that needs to be explored so all the downsides can be evaluated realistically. I agree it could be a great opportunity for your kids. If you read our initial post, you know that our entire plan to section hike the AT is a homeschool adventure, and my grandson and I are truly hoping for some positive interaction with other hikers and trail angels. Unfortunately it is not in our 2013 plan to be in northern Virginia, but it may well be a possibility in 2014. If you do find a way to set up some sort of station or welcome, perhaps we will see you then, and even maybe camp in your yard? I know my grandson would absolutely love to find kid-friends along the way! Also, just knowing there's someone friendly up ahead waiting to be met can inspire a leg of the journey! Please keep in touch and let us know how this works out.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Trail Magic View Post
    Great questions. I've provided lodging/food for some hikers. What I've noticed about trail magic...don't advertise unless you're opening a hostile/shelter. When the opportunity presents itself for lodging, etc., you'll just know. That's the "magic" on the giving end of TM. I invited 5 thruhikers into my hotel room in Dalesville and ended up getting a call from them when they came to my home state in Maine. I never invite just one if I'm alone. You'll learn to recognize and "smell" a true thru-hiker vs a day hiker. Too clean, no beards, etc. then wouldn't make an offer to welcome in. When taking day hikes, carry an extra bag w/ trail magic. It doesn't have to be food. It can be simple medical necessities (Ibuprofen, bandaids), duct tape, fruit rollups, SNICKERS BARS, oatmeal or hot chocolate packs, personal items (small toothpaste)...anything LITE weight. That way, you're not leaving food for the critters, not having to sit in one place waiting for hikers, and still making some magic/contacts. If you plan on participating in trail magic, look for some great sales and use coupons to stock up now. When it comes time to take a day hike, make little brown paper, "party" bags w/ the items and just hand them to the hikers. They LOVE this! I make up bags w/ a little bit of everything, sometimes even dumb little toys (party favors). You'd been surprised how many grown guys love this! Just keep it lite. Once again, you'll just know when it's right! The AT truly is magical all in itself. Good luck w/ the penpals. If you homeschool, why not be a family of thruhikers. Have the girls plan out a trip for 2014: math, geography, biology, nutrition, culture all wrapped into one adventure!!!!
    This is brilliant! My grandson and I will definitely be making up some "goody bags" this year as part of our "paying back" to the trail!
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-25-2013 at 14:36.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++