WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Monadnock-Suanpee Greenway Trail

Hey all,
    For anyone interested in thru-hiking the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail, I did a documentary of my hike of it last spring (2012). check it out www.trekkingon.com www.youtube.com/tuts999
    It was an uplifting experience hiking through the picturesque area of western New Hampshire. It's not as popular with the tourists as the White Mountains, but is just as ruggedly beautiful. The trail is 50 miles and has great shelters. Let me know what you think of the film.
    Tuts

The MSGT is on my list of trails to hike. What time of year did you hike it? Looks like early spring. How were the bugs?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Thanks for sharing - good videos!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuts View Post
    Hey all,
    For anyone interested in thru-hiking the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail, I did a documentary of my hike of it last spring (2012). check it out www.trekkingon.com www.youtube.com/tuts999
    It was an uplifting experience hiking through the picturesque area of western New Hampshire. It's not as popular with the tourists as the White Mountains, but is just as ruggedly beautiful. The trail is 50 miles and has great shelters. Let me know what you think of the film.
    Tuts
    already watched them except for the last clip and like usual very good stuff. thanks for sharing..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    The MSGT is on my list of trails to hike. What time of year did you hike it? Looks like early spring. How were the bugs?
    he hiked it in april with above normal temps.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    he hiked it in april with above normal temps.
    Quite right. It was April, which would normally be the tail end of ski season, but with the warm winter/spring we had in 2012, it was quite nice... not to mention dry. Thanks to everyone for the compliments. It's such an amazing trail.

OH, also, the bugs generally weren't bad... April is a bit early for the bugs... they generally don't come out until early May.

AT 2012

would anyone care to compare this trail to the long trail? just wondering how different/similar they are... they are both equidistant from my house... i do think i need to hike the msgt soon!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    would anyone care to compare this trail to the long trail? just wondering how different/similar they are...
    The Long Trail is a mostly a ridge trail, keeping you at higher elevation than the MSGT and away from developed areas.

Monadnock, of course, is a monadnock, by definition not part of a ridge. When walking between Monadnock and Sunapee, you're generally walking at lower elevation though there are some hills. I did the MSGT in the height of summer and it was HOT. There were areas where we walked past developed areas, highly used lakes with motorized boats, streets, etc. With permission, we once took shelter in someone's garage when a violent thunderstorm passed through. It's not so bad that I wouldn't recommend the trail though.

Of course, it's a much shorter trail than the Long Trail so if you want a longer trip, consider continuing on the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail to the south or the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway trail to the north.
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

++ New Posts ++