WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Did Pirate REALLY thru-hike 9 times?

My wife and I were discussing the trail, and the more I think about it, the more astounding it seems that one person could get away with thru-hiking 9 times. Can anyone confirm or deny Pirate's claim to have thru-hiked 9 times?

hahaha. did he tell you that?

Of course he has. Probably more when your count every time he goes across the trail.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I can't remember where I heard it, but when I stayed at MC it came up. At the time I believed it, but didn't give it much of a thought. Don't know why I thought of it now.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

As a white blazer...no...as a blue blazer...who can say for sure?
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Of course he has. Probably more when your count every time he goes across the trail.

LOL reminds me of a shirt i saw in damascus " I hiked the entire width of the appalachian trail" my dad got one lol

hahah he told me the same thing...my bet is on NO.
    The funniest thing, I think, about the trail, is that I was almost always so inexplicably happy. Every night I had the most bizarrely cheerful dreams.
    Late Bloomer

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    LOL reminds me of a shirt i saw in damascus " I hiked the entire width of the appalachian trail" my dad got one lol
    Cool, I just saw that shirt on a hiker's page...

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Apparently Pirate said 10 times to this poor Trailjournals guy, who bought it hook line and sinker. Nine, ten ... who can really keep track after all?
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

i wonder if he went online and talked about other people hiking experiences and whether or not they were true. Prob not.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

What's the most legit times someones done the whole trail?

Quote Originally Posted by rgettman View Post
    What's the most legit times someones done the whole trail?
    s

I think these stats are correct.

Warren Doyle, 16 times. 9 thru hikes, 7 section hikes. Of the 9 thru hikes, 1 was a traditional backpacking trip; 8 were "expeditions" which are basically van supported day hikes where for the most part you are walking thru the woods carrying an apple and a pint of water hiking van to van on a tightly controlled schedule. Don't know about the nature of the section hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin13 View Post
    i wonder if he went online and talked about other people hiking experiences and whether or not they were true. Prob not.
    lol, pirate is a trail legend, and with that stigma comes the fact that people are going to talk about you. i only wish people gave that much of a crap about my trail exploits, whether true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin13 View Post
    It hasn't started yet, but wait till the thru-hiker wannabe crowd reaches it's crescendo as it passes through Mountain Crossings.

Pirate's Facebook page becomes one of the most entertaining every Spring.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Once is enough if you ask me. There are way too many trails to be walking up and down the same one all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    Nine, ten ... who can really keep track after all?
    If I take my shoes off I can track all the way to 20.

20 1/2 if I drop trou.

Journal Entries

I think He hikes about 1-3 miles a day, when he does go out. I think he enjoys pulling folks leg and reminding folks you are out here to enjoy not be stressed about miles. Tall tales are part of the trail experience. He gets that

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    s

Warren Doyle, 16 times. 9 thru hikes, 7 section hikes. Of the 9 thru hikes, 1 was a traditional backpacking trip; 8 were "expeditions" which are basically van supported day hikes where for the most part you are walking thru the woods carrying an apple and a pint of water hiking van to van on a tightly controlled schedule. Don't know about the nature of the section hikes.
    So that's really just one thru hike.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    s

All were 2000 milers. The ATC makes no distinction on how you hike the trail. The key word here is hike, not backpack. The certificate and patch are the same if you hike van to van with an apple and water or hike with a 70 lb pack. It's all about the journey, not how you did it.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Pirate rocks. I met him this last fall. Who cares how much he has hiked. He cooks a mean dinner and a meaner breakfast. Anyone stepping off of Blood Mountain in a torrential downpour sure would appreciate that he is at Mountain Crossings. He personally told me that he has hiked the trail 9 times. That is good enough for me.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++