WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post
    So, I've researched a little and it seems these practices were mostly cracked down on back in 06/07/08. It's been 5 years since then, so I'm wondering--

Are there still undercover officers riding the Cog, looking to charge anyone who moons it?

Charge them with WHAT? Is this act somehow illegal back there????

Images

Indecent exposure, I imagine. Which these days is probably an actual sex offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin2013AT View Post
    OK guilty as charged. We hiked 2 weeks in the Swiss Alps and saw very few people. The journey ended at the Jungfau where there is a tourist train up to the top. There were zillions of people there (we knew by their waistlines we weren't in Oz anymore). We were the ONLY ones hiking up and they were staring at us like we were doing something crazy (hiking in the Alps!). After the fourth train went by we mooned the fifth. It seemed appropriate at the time.
    Hey, I hear ya, let your freak flag fly...but iffin some mother wants to press charges, and gets in the ear of some prosecutor about how little johnny is scared for life....it could be "Katie bar the door" and "Bailiff, whack his PeePee"and that'd be gettin off light

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Indecent exposure, I imagine. Which these days is probably an actual sex offense.
    Somebody had to say it. It's sad, but true. Do you really want to be a registered sexual offender for the rest of your life?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Yeah, in the scheme of things, we live in a VERY prudish society, unfortunately.

Images

Mooning might be a possibility, but hiking naked is not for me. It maybe for you though if your trail name is tripod.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Personally I have no desire to see someone's hairy ass hanging out

The USFS has a special regulation in effect that bascially bans all nudity in the WMNF. Given the limited staffing I expect that enofrcement is low on most staff's priorities. Unfortunately the cog is a very profitable money maker and the owners have political connections, therefore rules of importance to the cog get enforced. Unlike the old days, the AT crosses the cog very close to the summit operation so the folks on the cog arent the only ones who get a view, all the car loads and vans also get a view. If one child get a view, I think the individual could be prosecuted for child sexual offenses. The concept of mooning the cog was partially dirven by its belching of soot and sulfur from a very primative coal boiler. They now predominately run biodiesel driven trains that sound like a tractor trailer rig coming up the mountain so they can claim to be "green". They still do run the coal trains on occasion and charge extra.

Yeah in my research the mooning of the cog was in protest to its noise, pollution, and general capitalistic endeavor. I've never been to the spot where mooning takes place. Maybe I'll do it for a split second to say I did it, who knows.

Apparently because it's apart of the NFS you get a FEDERAL ticket/citation because you're on gubbament property.

Images

Instead of mooning the cog, I'll just watch Southbounders again.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    In THEORY it shouldn't take anything more than saying, "PROVE that it was MY buttocks you saw." Impossible to prove, but the system is stacked against the little guy.
    In the cases where hikers were busted, it was pretty easy to prove. The FS ranger and the state trooper walked up to them while they had thier pants down and tapped them on the shoulder. They were issued the fine right there on the spot. They were given a choice, a $500 fine (I forget the catagory) or a $200 fine for indecent exposure and your name on the sex offender list.

I'm pretty sure the Cog right of way is still private property, just like the auto road.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In the cases where hikers were busted, it was pretty easy to prove. The FS ranger and the state trooper walked up to them while they had thier pants down and tapped them on the shoulder.
    Well that's a whole new kettle of fish. Like I said, not familiar with the turf.

A whole new kettle of fish and they deserved what they got for being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post
    Yeah in my research the mooning of the cog was in protest to its noise, pollution, and general capitalistic endeavor. I've never been to the spot where mooning takes place. Maybe I'll do it for a split second to say I did it, who knows.
    just a buncha sheeple hypocrites do it

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    I'm not sure which states on the AT consider it criminal to sleep with your unmarried partner. Yet we read daily about hikers sharing tents and hostels and hotels with their girlfriend, boyfriend, fiancee, or what ever they want to call it.

Maybe it's time for some undercover police and some jail time?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

A friend of mine did a three page article about obscure laws still on the books. How many of you have passed a car in RI without beeping your horn? That's illegal. & if a woman drives a car in that state without a man 50' in front carrying a lantern, same. To much thread drift to go on. If you are going to play, be prepared to pay.

I did both in 98 when I was 25. Naked hiking - just my luck I came up on a very pretty young woman hiking in the other direction. I very quickly put my shorts on so as not to offend. Didn't hike naked after that. too aware of others. Than again I saw lots of naked hikers out west, but they were mostly traveling in groups. I think there is something extra creepy about people (alone) walking around in the woods naked. A gaggle of naked hikers some how seems much more OK.

Mooned the cog too - no big deal. Probably wouldn't bother today, but only because I'm lazy and don't really give a ****!
    I say to each his own, but just remember there are potential consequences for all sorts of things that people do everyday - you've got to be willing to handle all that comes

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

HYOH doesn't mean you get to selfishly do whatever you want and the heck with anyone else.

If you don't care about laws, then at least realize the AT is also frequently traveled by youth groups and families. Care about them

Head for the naked beaches in Europe if you really feel the need to depart from clothing.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Interesting - giving you a choice on the charges. It makes sense from a prosecutorial point of view. I won't be doing it as I know the federal magistrate judge in NH - wouldn't really want to have to explain it to her. Pretty sure no one would want to see me on hike nekkid day anyway. Too old.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++