WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Summer Bags - Marmot Atom and others

I'm scouring the market for a summer bag. I'd like to spend under $200 and the closer to 1lb, the better. I found a marmot atom for $165 and free shipping. There's only 1 left in stock. Anybody got reviews for this bag? Should I look elsewhere? Suggestions?

or as close to $200 as possible, nothing over $300 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    or as close to $200 as possible, nothing over $300 for sure.

http://www.moosejaw.com/outlet/shop/...8_10000004_-1_

Top Shelf, found this, don't have it or no anything more than what it says...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    http://www.moosejaw.com/outlet/shop/...8_10000004_-1_

Top Shelf, found this, don't have it or no anything more than what it says...good luck!
    I've looked at this bag quite a few times, 16 oz with 800 fill down. The Atom seems to be a little more roomier, a few inches all the way down. which is what i need with my stockiness

That Marmot Atom is a great bag,especially for that price!

I have the Atom and love it. It is my go-to bag for most of my trips.

Very compressible with an accurate temp rating, at least for me.

Default Summer Bags - Marmot Atom and others

Took the atom on my thru hike the whole way last year, loved it. Added a liner for April and may.

i just went ahead and bought it, got it through o2 gear shop and used the code FALL2012 for an additional 30% off. so this bag is no longer available but they do have the mountain hardwear phantom that you can get for $171 or so.

I love my MHW Phantom 32. Super warm and very light

TopShelf, indeed that's good price on the Marmot Atom $171. It is a summer bag though. If not a gram weenie and desire a tiny bit room you did great IMHO. Could have gone with a quilt for summer use too.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
    I love my MHW Phantom 32. Super warm and very light
    The Phantom line is nice. I have the 45 and have found it very conservatively rated. I have been fine in it with a bivy and one layer of clothes at 18F and could go lower if I had to. It is very light, packs tiny, and the price isn't too bad.

Alas, mine is not as warm. Perhaps I need to wash it proper.

Support your cottage industry - UGQ Flight Jacket 50 They also make a 40 degree version that's under 200 as well.

Uh, wasn't Marmot once a cottage industry company started by two Cali university students desiring to make their own gear? So now that they been bought out we should no longer buy from them?

Quote Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
    Alas, mine is not as warm. Perhaps I need to wash it proper.
    Maybe, but more likely it is just a matter of the wide variance in individual hikers. I sleep super warm compared to most and probably should have made that disclaimer so that someone didn't assume that since one person gets a given result that they will necessarily get the same one. On most trips I am comfortable and folks around me with warmer bags are freezing.

That disclaimer aside it is a very nice bag and warm for it's weight and bulk.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm enamored with my Enlightened Equipment 50* quilt at the moment.... 17.1 oz and that's synthetic instead of down so if it gets wet it'll still keep me warm....

Images

Kelty Cosmic Down 40
    1lb. 13oz.
    $110, or so.

Nothing spectacular, but it's cheap and efficient.

Dogwood, I think the same can be said for most companies. The fact of the matter is Marmot is NOT the same company it was at the time you reference. UGQ offers what the OP is looking for at a price far less and happens to be an American small business. I do understand that the way I stated it presents the small business as the first priority and that is my mistake.

Also, if supporting a small business is not important to you that is okay with me (heck; Jardin, the corporate owner of Marmot is American too. Though the referenced sleeping bag is "imported") but I like to when it makes sense to.

Never met someone from Kalamazoo I didn't like. Nicely stated.

Personally, I'd suggest something with a full zip or a quilt (down or otherwise). Some bag manufacturers have their eyes on the scale too much to take other factors (like ventilation on hot days) into consideration. Avoid something with a 1/4 zip unless you're a cold sleeper.

Also - as in winter (spring, fall, too) summer sleeping gear can be a system incorporating a light fleece or down top, long underwear, or even cotton pajamas.

I'll take this occasion to try to steer lightweight hikers away from liners, since they only do one thing well (you can't run around in them as you can with clothing - which will add warmth and keep your sleeping bag clean just like a liner) just make sure you don't get your sleepwear dirty, or it won't keep the inside of your bag clean.

Oh, fwiw (I use that a lot) my personal summer bag is a Montbell thermal sheet, which is down filled, has the lightest fabric I've ever seen in a sleeping bag, and has (the most important thing for me) a full zip, so I can open it right up on nights when a bag is too warm and no covering is too cold.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...5&p_id=2321806 Don't forget to bring a hat (but you won't have to worry about getting the hood dirty.
    Last edited by Tinker; 04-02-2013 at 15:24.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++