WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Copycat Crocs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Copycat Crocs

Well, I guess Croc's are starting to creep into the mainstream (for better or worse). This week my wife drug me to the mall (a place I try to avoid). Dillard's department store is carrying Croc's for $30. This was a big surprise. An even bigger surprise was that Payless Shoes carried a copycat version of Croc's that they were selling for $14.95. Maybe this copycat shoe will drive the price down on Croc's which, in my opinion, are way overpriced.

Tripp

MRO here in Damasskiss has Croc wannabes for around $17.

I think I saw these there at Traildays. Holey Shoes, or something like that, right? These at Payless were yet another brand. They had an embossed tent or teepee on the back of the strap.

BTW, Wolf, I missed seeing you at Trail Days. I was trying to find you to to give you something. I'll catch you next time I am up there.

The ones at MRO are called Holz or something like that.

What am I missing here? It seems to me that placing my foot in a plastic shoe is awful uncomfortable. Brings back memories of the "jellies" that was popular in the 80's. Doesn't the shoe start to get clammy with the least bit of moisture? I'm sure socks would help relief part of that, but I also want my "dogs" to breath after a day of hiking. It may have been posted before.....are the crocs superior to the teva sandals? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Well, I have 2 pair of Waldies and one pair of Crocs. Indeed, at first I found them a bit clammy but not any more. They are, of course, well vented. They lose the stickiness after being worn a few days or less (but indeed the rubber/plastic material is a bit sticky when you first put on a new pair with bare feet). That's been my observation anyway.

I wear them when backpacking and around the yard and elsewhere after work and on the weekends. Very comfortable and convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Hiker
    What am I missing here? It seems to me that placing my foot in a plastic shoe is awful uncomfortable. Brings back memories of the "jellies" that was popular in the 80's. Doesn't the shoe start to get clammy with the least bit of moisture? I'm sure socks would help relief part of that, but I also want my "dogs" to breath after a day of hiking. It may have been posted before.....are the crocs superior to the teva sandals? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Mine are sooo comfortable that I plan on being buried in a pair.
    "In the abundance of water the fool is thirsty."...Bob Marley

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

After reading all the buzz about Crocs and Waldies, I just had to see what the fuss was about. I got two pairs (orange and red) and my mom got two pairs (green and yellow). My red pair has more massaging action, the orange has very little.

I was at Fontana Village in April for a Benton MacKaye Trail Association Board meeting and saw a lot of hikers. I'd guess that MOST of them that were at the Fontana Inn had them on. Now another way to spot a thru hiker from a mile away!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Feet
    Now another way to spot a thru hiker from a mile away!
    Last July I was vacationing in Killington, Vermont. As I was driving east down the hill from the Inn at Long Trail back to the condo, I saw a guy trudging uphill wearing Waldies. Assuming he was a thru-hiker, I turned around and offered him a ride up. His name was Texas and he was clearly a thru-hiker.

I also have a pair of the red Waldies that I wore to dinner when I passed through Daleville a few years ago. The girl in the buffet line behind me kept smirking at my lack of color coordination, but I figured it was better than focusing on the other stuff I was wearing.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Crocs are better than Tevas IMO - somewhat lighter and your toes are better protected when crossing rocky streams or stumbling around at night to water the bushes

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    Crocs are better than Tevas IMO - somewhat lighter and your toes are better protected when crossing rocky streams or stumbling around at night to water the bushes
    A lot lighter: on the order of 4-8 ounces for a men's size 10, depending on the style of Tevas. I haven't had problems with clamminess, but then I was wearing them in the Fall. They are comfy, if a bit bulky to pack inside your pack (a lot of hikers lash them to the outside of the pack).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    The big problem with Crocks is that they are slippery when wet and it's easy to slide out of them in a stream. I have been wearing Crocks around water since they first hit the market.

Speedo makes a version with a grippy rubber sole and they stay on your feet when you need them most. The Speedo is as light and has better drainage in the sole so your feet stay drier when on land.

I wish I new the model, I got mine for less $ than the Crocks as they were on closeout at a local sporting goods store.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Journal Entries
    Images

Default copy-cats?

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark
    Well, I guess Croc's are starting to creep into the mainstream (for better or worse). This week my wife drug me to the mall (a place I try to avoid). Dillard's department store is carrying Croc's for $30. This was a big surprise. An even bigger surprise was that Payless Shoes carried a copycat version of Croc's that they were selling for $14.95. Maybe this copycat shoe will drive the price down on Croc's which, in my opinion, are way overpriced.Tripp

YO TRIPPCLARK!

CROCS copied WALDIES, NUTHINZ copied CROCS, & the madness goes on & on & on...etc.,etc.,etc.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird
    YO TRIPPCLARK!

CROCS copied WALDIES, NUTHINZ copied CROCS, & the madness goes on & on & on...etc.,etc.,etc.
    Yeah, I saw and purchased both pairs of Waldies before I ever saw Crocs (the next year). I like 'em both.

Payless carries the "Airwalk Compel" which is a copycat of Crocs. HOWEVER, they are clearing out their stock of them and do not currently intend to carry them anymore. If you want a $15 pair of copycats (which are incredibly comfortable and just as good as Crocs in my opinion) you better get to Payless and hope they still have a pair or two in your size. They are sized quite large, though. I regularly wear a mens 12.5, but the mens 9 (which is womens 11) Airwalks are the right size for me. Good thing, too, as they were the only pair this big within all of Southern Maryland! Good luck and enjoy.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA -->ME 2005

Crocs: Still going strong among hikers?

i have wannabe-crocs from wal-mart and they work great. they were less than 10 buckaroos too.

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

I gotmy croc clones from AllHeart Medical Supply.

How's 10 bucks?

http://www.allheart.com/comfortclogs...int=clogbanner

Last winter I picked up what looks like lightweight crocs on steriods (a big luggy sole) in Vietnam for 6 bucks.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

On the other hand there seems to be a big movement AGAINST the big ugly rubber clogs.

Just do a Google on "Hate Crocs".
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I'm on my third year with Dollar Store Crocks that cost $7. I wear them year around as slippers as well as on the trail for camp or fording shoes.

They're great. I took the strap off and they weigh 8 oz.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++