WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

We have a schnoodle - now too old to hike very far, but she was a great hiker in her day. She has long legs for a small dog and loves people. They're known for being friendly. Ours is normally TOO friendly, but the exercise of mountain climbing usually calmed her to the point where she was perfectly fine. I called her the trail "social director." Her wagging tail and insistence at saying hello to everyone seemed to be asking folks if they were having as grand of time as she was out there.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Hey, I just wanted to give an update. We finally found the perfect dog at a shelter! We think she is part sheltie part who knows??? Maybe part papillion?? 100% adorable though. We've taken her on a couple three mile day hikes and she's done amazingly. She even hiked a mile or two off leash right by my side. Her name is Foxie but I think she needs a trail name haha.
    FOXIE.jpg
    Thank you all for the breed suggestions and helping me find the right dog!

Images

Congrats & enjoy !

Images

Is that an earring?!?!

Pretty little dog.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Is that an earring?!?!

Pretty little dog.
    No, just some fluff on her ear.

Images

She is absolutely beautiful and it looks like she has the body type to make her agile enough to do the difficult parts. She looks like she might have part Border Collie in her. If so, you'll have a great dog. Congratulations!
    Follow your bliss......
    Joseph Campbell
    http://www.trailjournals.com/rockie/

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I have a pure bred Sheltie and have walked a 550 miles trail averaging 13 miles per day and week long hikings averaging 20 miles a day with no problem. At the end of the day he is still ready to play and chase squirels.

Anything with the Sheppard or Sheepdog attached to their name means they are genetically suitable for long hike herding sheep or cattle for long distance. Your dogs face and body build looks more like a sheltie than anything else. He is my 4th dog( and breed) and my final choice of a hiking dog and I will take him for 2014 AT thru hike.

Default Small Dogs good for long distance hiking

Congrats on new buddy...

I would suggest that almost all small terrier breed would be good small dog on the trail. They generally have loads of energy, some have dual layers for warmth at night. That said we have what we think is a Norfolk Terrier mixed with something else. He is a good trail dog. I've only taken him on a max of like 7.5 miles in one day. So far he doesn't carry his own food. However he does rest comfortably in the hammock with me. The only downside to small dogs is that if you a large enough raptor flies by you may be sans dog in a matter of seconds if he or she does not stay close to you.

Looks like you've found a good dog. Make sure you don't make her hike ten miles with only a few two or three mile hikes with her. Dogs need to build up their endurance just like we should. They can't tell you when they're too tired to continue and you could wind up hurting her.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++