WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

How about a vizla. Check out this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lif6o...eature=related

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    How about a vizla. Check out this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lif6o...eature=related
    Great looking dog but it looks more like a medium sized dog than a small dog.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Believe it or not a poodle is a great choice. Hike with ours last summer 100 miles. http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?trailname=13832

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Treeing Walker Coonhound. Lovable, cuddle champions, smart and need extensive exercise and activity.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

If you are looking at Jack Russells then look at the Rat Terrier. They are very similar, but the Rat is more in tune with the owner and less wild. They are harder to find though.

Has anyone owned or know someone who has hiked with their Rat Terrier? Maybe I'll look at a Rat Terrier Jack Russell mix or something.

Beagles would be on my list! My beagle(who my dad kept, more of a family dog) did an 18 mile day unannounced with my trail pup and myself in the middle of our thru. He used to do day hikes and follow behind when I rode my horses all the time.. They're bred to run all day..

Luckily my beagle can go off leash to some extent.. Most can't, they'll follow their nose anywhere. So keep that in mind.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hauptman View Post
    Dog says oops.
    Human says where did fido go?
    Small hole says yummy puppies!

As someone who works with Jack's that did not go over well. just saying.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by sterling98 View Post
    Has anyone owned or know someone who has hiked with their Rat Terrier? Maybe I'll look at a Rat Terrier Jack Russell mix or something.
    My JRT, Max, affectionately known as Ratdog, short legged and shorthaired, would gladly hike your legs off.He walked in front, but never out of sight, chased rabbits, squirrels, deer, etc. a few dozen yards, then resumed his lead dog position. Hiked, canoed, drove many many miles with me. Best friend ever. He tubed down Wilson Creek with me and my family and loved every minute. I really was lucky to have his company. I've had other Jack Russells, and they were all tough as nails, exuberant, and fun. Max was the only one who was both very intelligent and eager to please. If you get one from a shelter, spend some time getting to know each other. Good luck and have fun hiking with your knew friend!

If there ever was a big dog in a small dog suit, Max was it.
    Last edited by aficion; 02-12-2013 at 20:40.

I had a wonderful mini poodle/westie mix that would walk for 15 miles a day with me...loved that little mutt, pound puppy. Now I have a broder collie/australian shep mix that is a big couch potato, won't walk more than 2 or 3 miles and then wants a nap!!

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    I met a couple with a small border collie -maybe 35 lbs - I found this dog to be very smart with loads of energy and almost perfect for the trail, ...
    I know very little about dogs but I hiked off/on for 10 days with a woman I met on the Colorado Trail who had a small border collie who did very well - completed the entire 486 mile trail.

Images

Default Small Dogs good for long distance hiking

My chihuahua Brie hikes, camps and goes kayaking with me the more you take them out the longer there endurance gets
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    I had a wonderful mini poodle/westie mix that would walk for 15 miles a day with me...loved that little mutt, pound puppy. Now I have a broder collie/australian shep mix that is a big couch potato, won't walk more than 2 or 3 miles and then wants a nap!!
    That's hilarious! Two of the most active breeds...haha
    Last edited by tds1195; 02-13-2013 at 16:42. Reason: spelling error
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

When I was looking for a dog I did alot of research about small dogs and distance and the I read some great hiking stories about Corgis but they are really expensive and not seen in shelters often. I eventually bought a deer head chihuahua on Craigslist for $50 because the shelters were almost all full of pits. I feel like I rescued her from the family she was with and she is the most affectionate loving dog and she likes to hike, kayak, camp, etc. my little minature outdoor companion. Her name is BRie.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    When I was looking for a dog I did alot of research about small dogs and distance and the I read some great hiking stories about Corgis but they are really expensive and not seen in shelters often. I eventually bought a deer head chihuahua on Craigslist for $50 because the shelters were almost all full of pits. I feel like I rescued her from the family she was with and she is the most affectionate loving dog and she likes to hike, kayak, camp, etc. my little minature outdoor companion. Her name is BRie.
    Do you have a pic you can post? I'm a chi person myself

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    Beagles would be on my list! My beagle(who my dad kept, more of a family dog) did an 18 mile day unannounced with my trail pup and myself in the middle of our thru. He used to do day hikes and follow behind when I rode my horses all the time.. They're bred to run all day..

Luckily my beagle can go off leash to some extent.. Most can't, they'll follow their nose anywhere. So keep that in mind.
    And they have very selective hearing, and when they do hear, they just ignore you.

We have a JRT/RT/vermint dog mix; the only thing I can tell you is as others have said she get cold when it is cold. Now she thinks that outside is only for going potty and a walk when mama's able (my lab mix and I walk daily but the little dog goes with my wife when she goes which is not much since my wife has been having hip pain). She will get the shivers when walking; she also comes into the house after a potty stop wanting to share (steal) human body heat (she will also cozy up to the lab mix if he will let her).

I've got a three year old beagle who I take with me on any kind of hike and a few kayaking trips. Great little hiker. She can go over, under, or around most obstacles on the trail. She wieghs 24lbs so with a ruff wear harness I can lift her over anything she can't manage by the handle. and if she gets to tired she naps behind my head on the pack straps and my shoulders. On cold hikes she small enough to fit into my sleeping bags footbox, her nose sticking out of the bottom part of the zipper. Portable feet warmer. As for sounding off, she only does that when i'm out of sight. A bad habit from before i rescued her that i haven't been able to break.

I've got an Australian Cattle Dog mix (stray from the shelter so the other part is a mystery) and she's awesome for hiking. She's about 35 lbs., light enough to carry if I had to but big enough to handle all the obstacles on the trail (though maybe bigger than what you're looking for). I've never taken her for an overnight trip, but she has become very loyal and listens off-leash very well. Making sure I pick a dog that can hike with me will always be a priority when choosing a pup.

I know this is a little bit old, but I figured I'd give some quick advice in case he hasn't decided on a breed yet

Firstly, THANK YOU for adopting instead of buying from a breeder. I've been in both worlds, and I definitely say adoption is the right thing to do in most cases. You know, one of the top reasons for dogs to be surrendered or put down is because of their energy, which is sad, because a lot of people want that energy, like people wanting to hike.

When it comes to adopting a dog, I highly recommend volunteering in the shelter and caring for the small dogs yourself. You would be amazed at which dogs have energy, and which don't, despite their breed. For example, we once had a few Border Collies who had zip energy but this mixed medium stocky dog that I would not of guessed had any athleticism from a picture had more energy that anything I had ever seen. Would of made a champion agility dog.

Volunteering at the shelters is what I do when I am looking for a new working dog.

Another good thing about picking a shelter dog is you have less chance of getting one with health problems, especially mixed breeds.

____ My Doggy Reviews___

Nearly any terrier will be good for hiking, but they most have that "terrier" personality, which is fine if you know how to handle it. Also, they make great ratting dogs, which can be helpful in the shelters. Most terriers can make great obedience dogs and are commonly seen in competitions. Also, you have to be careful with any lines around JRT because of overbreeding. Many have high energy, but like German Shepherds or Golden Retrievers, you can find some that have health problems and are very delicate.

Poodles are very intelligent and usually very happy to learn with little genetic vices, such as a tendency to have an independent mind associated with hounds or the sparky personality associated with terriers. However, small poodles can be either two ways: a) Delicate and stubborn b) strong and very energetic; Both though can be fine dogs with training.

Two GREAT athletic breeds are Papillons, Shetland sheepdogs, and Corgis, which all are the leading small breeds in agility competitions. However, the Corgi's short stature can cause problems with basic trail obstacles.

Shiba Inu's and Basenjis tend to be very energetic dogs. Basenjis also are known as the "barkless" dog.

If you are just interested in light, then another option would be a Whippet, which is a smaller version of a greyhound. They are very athletic and not as delicate as they look. There is also the added benefit that they are very calm dogs that just love curl up in your lap. However, these dogs are more sensitive to weather and would need to have winter clothing and boots. These dogs are a little bit independent minded, but nothing major, and are VERY loyal to their owners. In general, they are not aggressive. These dogs are sighthounds though, so they are not food addicts (and don't require as much due to their light weight) and will chase and kill small animals if not trained (I haven't had any trouble).

Hope this helps and that I'm not forgetting anything.

Good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++