WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Small Dogs good for long distance hiking

Hi,
    I'm looking at adopting a dog from a shelter and need some advice on breeds. I know I'll have to find one with the right personality, etc, but are there some breeds that are better for the trail? I was looking at Jack Russell, Shipperke, Shiba Inu... Any suggestions??

Thanks

Don't get a dachshund
    Are you looking at long day hikes, overnight trips, or multi-day trips when you say " better for the trail"?
    Some dog breeds are more genetically predisposed to physical issues, such as luxating patella, hip dysplasia, etc., so you might want to do a little research, maybe talk to your vet, etc. before settling on a breed. Once you do find your new little buddy, be sure to get your dog a complete physical exam at the time you adopt, so you'll know if he has any underlying problems that might limit him in this area.
    That being said, most small dogs enjoy a good walk that is appropriate for their size, fitness level, endurance, etc. I have a 7 lb. chihuahua that has day-hiked as much as 7 miles but he's got very strong, long legs and he's an unusually fit little guy in this respect. Once you have your pup, start out with short walks and be very observant of how he seems to tolerate the exercise. Carry water to offer him while you hike and be careful not to let him overheat in hot weather. (Just common sense stuff you'd do anyway).
    And thank you in advance for choosing to adopt from a shelter or rescue group. Rescue dogs rock!

Images

Jack Russells are perfect long distance hiking dogs. I have two. They are sweet, loyal, loveable, and have the energy to go all day, but I do experience some listening problems. If they are off leash and see a squirrel or anything else that moves, there is no stopping them. That is the only negative thing I have to say about jacks on the trail. They are also pretty easy to clean up at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepocachers View Post
    Jack Russells are perfect long distance hiking dogs. I have two. They are sweet, loyal, loveable, and have the energy to go all day, but I do experience some listening problems. If they are off leash and see a squirrel or anything else that moves, there is no stopping them. That is the only negative thing I have to say about jacks on the trail. They are also pretty easy to clean up at the end of the day.
    How far do you hike each day? I've had a couple of friends with JRTs, and the amount of energy these guys have is amazing!

Images

10-12 miles is a good average for them. They are so much fun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure about on a long distance hike, but FWIW you might find this of interest:

http://tomandatticus.blogspot.com/

jack russell would be perfect mine was with me for 18 years, but they are a little sturbon with selective hearing
    but great faithfull friends, I still miss Judy

Default holed

Dog says oops.
    Human says where did fido go?
    Small hole says yummy puppies!

Our Dozer wasn't the sharpest pencil in the JR pencil box. Being stubborn & a varmint dog, he never did get the porky pine math right. Great hiking companion, but...... middle name Mischief.

My 1 yr old shorty jack can easily do 15 miles per day but need warm bag for sleeping...get cold easily...ok while hiking in cold Just get cold when still.. Loves to hike...stays close in front or behind... Great hiking partner..

Our Jack Russell had energy to spare for hiking, but she had the typical problem of not listening. Too hyper to be leashed on the trail, I spent as much time untangling us as we spent walking. We went on day hikes together, but couldn't imagine trying to do a multi-day with her.

I'm planning several hikes in the 3-5 day range and eventually a thru hike. Obviously, the shorter hikes would affect weather I even take him or her on the thru hike and I would have a place for him or her to stay at home, should things not work out. Possibly the dog would come for week long sections of my thru hike every once in a while. Although it would be ideal for me to have the dog to come along the whole way, it wouldnt be fair for it if it wasn't having fun and staying safe. Also, for those who hike with jack Russell's, do you keep them on or off leash? If off leash, what do you do when they go berserk over a squirrel??

Thanks

Images

I came across a hiker in 2009 SOBO who was quitting the trail in Gorham, NH because his Jack Russel's pads were tender and sore from hiking Maine.

Default allowed on at?

Any dog won't be allowed on the whole A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by matt923 View Post
    Any dog won't be allowed on the whole A.T.
    I'm aware of this and have plans for dealing with these areas.

The jack Russell sounds like a pretty good breed, does anyone have other suggestions? I was looking at an ACD terrier mutt mix but the dog would probably be bigger. Any ideas for different breeds?

Thanks

Images

I met a couple with a small border collie -maybe 35 lbs - I found this dog to be very smart with loads of energy and almost perfect for the trail, I hike with my english Black Lab that hikes very well but I would noy attempt a thru hike with him.

I've only had my jrt out for 3-4 days at a time and had no prob doing 12-15 miles per day. Sleep in tent at night in a liner in my sleeping bag w me. He gets alittle cold at night. We did the Albert mountain standing Indian loop a few weeks ago. Started at the back country sign at about 7pm up to carver gap by mid night...19 degrees cold and windy....walked in ice storm 12 miles the next day...dog has jacket and use heat pads did fine if we were moving..loves to hike. He does fine off leash...chases squirrels only a few feet from trail. Stays close....

I have a foster 2 year old female American Pit Bull Terrier living with me right now in NOVA with energy like you wouldnt believe. I am planning on taking her on a short 30 miles over 3 days in the near furture. If only you were a bit closer we could probably introduce you two based on your willingness to adopt a dog of this breed and how she does.

and thank you for looking into the adoption of a dog from the shelter as opposed to a breeder.

+1 for the Shipperke, a bit more build than the JR, similar in that they have a big dog personality in the small package, same high energy and tendancy to chase. Their heavier coat may be a bit of an issue in the warmest times of the year but better for cooler whether. A lot depends on the dog, my 7 yr old shipperke gives my German shorthaired pointer a run for his money.

One thing I've always felt good about with my schipp is that if he got injured, I could at least carry him a good distance.

David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++