WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Will A Swiss Army Knife Be Good Enough ?

I was planning on a regular Swiss Army knife for my blade it features about a three inch blade, nail file, can opener, and both a philips n flathead screwdriver and I think that's suitable.

My father says that it's too small and not a suitable wilderness knife and insists I take his hunting knife which is like this big Buck Bowie type knife that must weight afew pounds by itself.

So will my little Swiss Army knife do or should I take daddy's hunting knife?

Images

Some argue the swiss is overkill. It's more than enough for most needs. You will most likely find scissors the most used item on it.

I use the smallest Swiss Army Knife. It's all you need. I expect your dad want's you to have a weapon, which is another discussion.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The Swiss Army knife with those features IS ENOUGH. Tell your father, "dad, I know you mean well but why do I need a large heavy wilderness RAMBO type hunting/survival knife when I'm not hunting anything and I'm really not going to be in deep wilderness? The AT is within 60 miles or so of large towns/cities on a consistent basis." You are 31 yrs old and have the User name FiestyHikerGal. It's time to start living up to your age and that name!

Images

A razor blade is almost too much for some people.

How many phillips and flat head screws will you be screwing? How many cans will you open? Will you use the nail file?

For me, the answer is "non" or "no" to all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The Swiss Army knife with those features IS ENOUGH. Tell your father, "dad, I know you mean well but why do I need a large heavy wilderness RAMBO type hunting/survival knife when I'm not hunting anything and I'm really not going to be in deep wilderness? The AT is within 60 miles or so of large towns/cities on a consistent basis." You are 31 yrs old and have the User name FiestyHikerGal. It's time to start living up to your age and that name!
    I know but you know how fathers are in his eyes I will always be daddy's little girl actually they both think I am crazy but I told my parents this is something I just have to do to get it out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    A razor blade is almost too much for some people.

How many phillips and flat head screws will you be screwing? How many cans will you open? Will you use the nail file?

For me, the answer is "non" or "no" to all of the above.
    It's just the basic Swiss Army Knife not the deluxe one with everything I have also thought about a Leatherman but that's even bulkier

I carry one like this, and it's more than adequate. The scissors comes in handy for cutting moleskin; the blade for salami and cheese. the tweezers for removing ticks and splinters. It's small and light.
    http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...rmy-classic-sd

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

53001_swiss_army_classic_red_58mm.jpg

This is all you need, unless of course self-defense is a legitimate concern of your dad's (or your's). It's a hair over two-inches long and weighs about an ounce. It won't stop an attacker, but few knifes or guns will, since they're the only ones who know what's about to go down.

Basic Swiss army knife is more then adequate. Leatherman multi-tool is not needed.

I perfer a small, 2" pocket knife with locking blade. Scissors are real handy, I carry a small pair of those.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Take your daddy's hunting knife, and walk with a pleasant smile and a hefty stick.

You need one with tick removers (pliers) like this one. Also has Phillips tip, slotted tip, file, scissors, wire cutters, and the blade. It's a Leatherman Squirt ps4. It weighs about 4 oz.

ps4.jpg
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Or you can get one of these, which I got as a Christmas present - umm, er thanks this will come in real handy...
    SANY0204.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyHikerGal View Post
    I know but you know how fathers are in his eyes I will always be daddy's little girl actually they both think I am crazy but I told my parents this is something I just have to do to get it out of my head.
    Does Dad also own firearms or possess a black belt in Karate? I feel sorry for the guy that shows up on your doorstep for Thansgiving Dinner. Better tread lightly. Have a great hike FeistyHikerGal.

LOL. Slo Go 'en, never know when you require two separate saws and a hex head wrench while hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Or you can get one of these, which I got as a Christmas present - umm, er thanks this will come in real handy...
    SANY0204.JPG
    That will come in handy for nailing down non free-standing tents in the Whites. Do you recomend 20d or 16d?

Journal Entries
    Images

Take your dad's knife and leave it at home - He will feel better, nobody needs to be wiser. - This isn't survival - although I disagree with the above posts the Micro Swiss is prone to break -
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Slo go 'en is it UL? Got to keep a hatchet, saw(s), knife, wrench, etc etc etc under two lbs you know. What do these Chinese companies think we're doing over here in the states? - going on hikes chopping and sawing everything down in our paths? Unloosening/tightening every hex head bolt that we come across?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Slo go 'en is it UL? Got to keep a hatchet, saw(s), knife, wrench, etc etc etc under two lbs you know. What do these Chinese companies think we're doing over here in the states? - going on hikes chopping and sawing everything down in our paths? Unloosening/tightening every hex head bolt that we come across?
    It's *only* 11 oz and 6" long! "This deluxe multi tool featuring a dual axe head with spike hammer is a must have at any campsite." (Always wear safety goggles)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyHikerGal View Post
    My father says that it's too small and not a suitable wilderness knife and insists I take his hunting knife which is like this big Buck Bowie type knife that must weight afew pounds by itself.
    What does he expect you to do with it . . . . Wrassle' a B'ar ?!?!

All you'll likely need a knife for is slicing the occasional bagel, spreading some pnut butter from time to time, and other minor tasks along the way.

A small Swiss Army knife with scissors and tweezers should be sufficient. Scissors can be used to clip your nails and the tweezers can be used to remove the inevitable tick.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

maintenance videos
    how to hike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++