WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default how much money should I have?

Ive seen people say 2k to 3500 but thats simply not possible for me. I plan on possibly starting in the spring and will hopefully have 1500+. I plan on not using motels often (not sure what hostels are but see people mentioning tjose in costs) maybe once a month, I wont be stopping at bars or anything either (see people saying that takes up a lot of money) and will rarely be eating out (maybe a super cheap 5 dollar or less meal once every week or two). I also read people spend a lot of money at the hotsprings (what is it that costs so much there? Whatever it is I wont be doing it lol) but I just don't know if itwill be fiscally ppssible for me without loaning money from my parents or aomethong. Can I get some advice?

I'm not going until I have 5-7k. There are endless discussions on here about money and how its easy to say you won't stop into towns or get hotels etc etc but that just isn't the case. Its not realistic and I bet for 99% its not possible..
    I want to do it once, and do it right. I've met a few hikers who were running out of money, begging family, surviving off hand outs from section or weekend hikers..like cmon dude. So doing it right means having the money.$5000 minimum.

Ive seen people say 3500 is plenty, 5k is luxory lol. I really don't mind not having a bed. Im used to sleeping on floors and in tents. I plan on using a hammock which imo is better than a bed lol.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Well, if all you can get is $1500 that's how much you'll have - it doesn't matter how much you should have.

Try it - worse case you can just hike until you run out. Beats sitting at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddin View Post
    I plan on possibly starting in the spring and will hopefully have 1500+. Can I get some advice?

Is the $1,500 just to cover your own costs or do you have to pay for Kumar's trail costs also?

Datto

Hike until you run out of money. Enjoy the trip and don't obsess about the destination.

I plan on possibly starting in the spring and will hopefully have 1500+. Can I get some advice?
    Now appearing at the Franklin, NC drive-in theater:

handkat1500.JPG

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

not-this-again.jpg

Oy vey...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Stir Fry

You will make it to VA. Not much more on $1500.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

Pick a 2-3 month section that you would like to do or a different trail to hike. You could do the Colorado Trail or the John Muir Trail for that much and have a great time.

Kumars cost? What lol? And section hiking is great if you don't have a job. Not going to quit mine for a section hike. I can get into a fed ex position starting at 15 an hour and plan to keep that job until I finish college. The longer. I put it off the longer until I can grt that job. And I really hate to co tinue working at minum wage any longer. I like my job but I need an upgrade and if I t was either "hike til yiu run out or don't hike" im going to have to probably either not hike or start in pa and hike north from there. ( I lve in ohio btw) i just r eally wanted to do a thru hike, I don't want to end up 60 years old and look back at a life of dull work since age 16 . Maybe I should just be happy with half the hike but its just not the same if you know what I mean

or start in pa and hike north from there.
    Connecticut northward to Maine is half the cost of an AT thru-hike.

I'd be better to start at Springer Mountain, GA in April and hike to Damascus, VA (454 miles or so). That'll use up your $1,500 and you'll have money to get back to Ohio.

Datto

Yea seems like that would only take a month or two, I don't see how that would cost so much mone.already said wont be using motels. If some1 could break down price costs into some estimates that would be great cause if you don't go to motels / restraunts idk how you could spend that much that quick. Maybe this trip just isnt realistic for me like I stated above I wont be quiting work for a short month or 2 hike :/

Someday I'm gonna hike the AT
    Do I have money, well no.
    These days you don't really need it,
    With a hiker box in tow.

Can't wait to use the privies.
    Can't want to yogi my food.
    Can't wait to hitch into town
    And be a dumpster diving dude.

Cause when you hike the AT
    It's adios reality.
    They say he's gone insane
    With all the sweat and pain.
    And the pressures that go with...

Datto

You don't have much choice do you? A) you go with what you got and hope it lasts or B) you wait until you have more money. Pick one.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't see how that would cost so much mone.already said wont be using motels.
    Wait 'til you see the rain. That would be with a capital R.

Wait 'til you see the climb. That would be with a capital C.

Wait 'til you see the mud. That would be with a capital M.

Wait 'till you see the bugs. That would be with a capital B.

What's that spell? AT

What's that spell? AT.

Freebird!

Datto

Well im going to wait til I have the money, thats why I am asking for advice... im just trying to prepare / grt informed. Would I like to do it this year? Definately. Will I have an opprotunity to do it next year? Probably not. Am I going to take all the risk of a thru hike (ie quiting my job and being unemployed when im done) for a shorter trip? Probably not. Im just trying to figure out what some realistic expectations are. Anywas thanks for the responses everyone looking like its just not realistic

Figure about $1k/month after you get there. Most folks don't last a month anyway.

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Figure about $1k/month after you get there. Most folks don't last a month anyway.
    Ya I think about 1/2 quit in first 30 days
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Wait now I'm curious how do you figure 1000 per month? no one is counting gear in these costs right? I'm talking strictly expenses on trail like food, and thats basically it...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++