WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

For my 1000th post............"The difference between men & boys is the price of their toys".

When I can afford it, I definitely subscribe to this.

As for my hiking gear, as with all hobbies that we are passionate about, they usually come at a cost.

My experience, the better gear is better gear and it usually costs more.

Cuben fiber is a great fabric for outdoor gear..............and I am certain that soon there will be something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    For my 1000th post............"The difference between men & boys is the price of their toys".

When I can afford it, I definitely subscribe to this.

As for my hiking gear, as with all hobbies that we are passionate about, they usually come at a cost.

My experience, the better gear is better gear and it usually costs more.

Cuben fiber is a great fabric for outdoor gear..............and I am certain that soon there will be something new.
    Happy 1000th DelQ, here's to many more.

Shocker, thanks for the input, that's what I'm looking for. Again, the hybrid sounds like a killer material, all the benefits, and, not much of the downside but it is new and needs some time in the field. Thanks for the input.

Images

My thoughts, if ULA is starting to use Cuben Fiber (CF) on their packs this is a new trend to stay. They are a great brand.

I saved up for a CF tent, went with Judy at Lightheart, amazing tent. Waterproof, light, packs small, roomy.........happy.

As with all things this evolutionary...............

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    My thoughts, if ULA is starting to use Cuben Fiber (CF) on their packs this is a new trend to stay. They are a great brand.

I saved up for a CF tent, went with Judy at Lightheart, amazing tent. Waterproof, light, packs small, roomy.........happy.

As with all things this evolutionary...............

Well, they are custom, not standard items, at least at this point. Its only the 2.92 hybrid material, as its more durable, and the price premium will make you say "ouch".

ULA has always done custom stuff, all you have to do is ask. What you see on the website, is standard items.
    I cant emphasize this point enough. Always talk to the cottage mfgs before ordering. What sets some of them apart , especially Zpacks and ULA, is the ability to customize things to suit you best. The ones that outsource their items to china, well, not so much.

Im personally more interested to be able to have a fairly waterproof ULA pack, than about weight savings of 4-5oz.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-13-2013 at 23:31.

"Im personally more interested to be able to have a fairly waterproof ULA pack, than about weight savings of 4-5oz."

so are you in favor of the Cuben? I'm not really sure which side you're on. My current setup is 9.5 pounds with Lux items like a solid camera, kindle, phone and chargers and cases. for 20 dollars an ounce the price for the savings isn't that bad, actually it's pretty good in my opinion. The only question I have is durability. Like I said in the begining, I'm not a fan of SUL, paper thin materials etc if they are going to fall apart. The hybrid sounds like a killer, best of both worlds, and some seem to love it, but I haven't used it personally so hence, the questions. Saving about 6.5 ounces for 100 (if you include ditching the pack cover) sounds nice.

But.... ULA's Robic is gorgeous, no exaggeration.

I am waiting for my zpacks arc blast and I have no concerns of durability. Can't wait

Looks like a gorgeous bag.

is it okay to call a bag gorgeous?

Absolutely it's ok.

I used the Zpacks Arc on the JMT last summer, loved it and will do the same on the PCT in...........49 DAYS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lvnv1212 View Post
    I used the Zpacks Arc on the JMT last summer, loved it and will do the same on the PCT in...........49 DAYS!!!
    How is it handling wear? Abrasion, punctures, fraying etc... Have a great hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gillum View Post
    Ferdi.... Shocker here. I have had "zero" durability issues with my Windrider. I use the pack under all conditions here in the Northeast, rain especially, without any degradation of the material or stitching failure and equally important, my gear stays dry without any additional compactor bags, pack covers etc. I use the pack as a day pack (rolled down top and cinched tight) to 5-day section hikes without replenishment. It has and continues to be a durable, reliable pack. In fact, my son purchased the same pack for his SOBO thru-hike starting in June.

Shocker
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i have had a similar experience with my HMG Porter. The fabric is a cuben, dyneema hybrid that is extremely tough. Similar to a 210d or higher Cordura. I bushwhack with mine and a part from being a little dirty right now, it shows no signs of wear. What HMG uses is remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    i have had a similar experience with my HMG Porter. The fabric is a cuben, dyneema hybrid that is extremely tough. Similar to a 210d or higher Cordura. I bushwhack with mine and a part from being a little dirty right now, it shows no signs of wear. What HMG uses is remarkable.

That is EXACTLY what I've been wanting to hear, so psyched.

HMG uses a heavier Hybrid than Zpacks 2.92 fabric, right? is there a SIGNIFICANT difference?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinand the bull View Post

HMG uses a heavier Hybrid than Zpacks 2.92 fabric, right? is there a SIGNIFICANT difference?
    The fabric used by HMG is actually very stiff when you first use it and then softens with use. It is nothing like 0.74 oz cuben, for example. It is a laminated fabric. I know that Dan Mchale is using a similar type of fabric for some of his packs. If Dan thinks it has very good durability properties, then I would trust that assessment.

Zero wear so far. Look like new.

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinand the bull View Post

HMG does use a heavier face fabric, something in the line of 70d versus 50d polyester with Zpacks/ULA. They both use cuben of the ~1.4oz variety. SIGNIFICANT difference? Not in my opinion, both fabrics are going to be more durable than many hikers need. Construction methods are still the most important. Still, if you are concerned with durability, go with the heavier HMG fabric.

Ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++