WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I thought I saw somewhere-maybe someone's journal?- that there was a place that had like a 2 pound hamburger challenge??
    I imagine youre thinking of the WhiteHorse (?) Burger challenge in one of the trail towns in Maine. Drawing a blank on the particulars, but basically a 1lb burger loaded with mushrooms, bacon and all the other fixin's with a 1lb of french fries.. Eat 3 of these and you get them free!

Images

I think you are right. Anyway I remember seeing a picture of guy with a burger about the size of a dinner plate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thru-Hiking Traditions.

FINISHING.
    I think that is more of an anomaly, the actual tradition is to drop out somewhere between Neels Gap and Harpers Ferry

Since the op brought up hike naked day I though this might be some food for thought:

http://www.wral.com/topless-bill-bus...ttee/12102043/

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    The only true thru-hiker tradition is to start at one end of the AT and walk to the other in one calender year. All others are just a bunch of crap.
    Sounds to me like someone has lost a few challenges .....
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    I imagine youre thinking of the WhiteHorse (?) Burger challenge in one of the trail towns in Maine. Drawing a blank on the particulars, but basically a 1lb burger loaded with mushrooms, bacon and all the other fixin's with a 1lb of french fries.. Eat 3 of these and you get them free!

It's at the White Wolf Inn in Stratton, ME. Three White Wolf Burgers, each of which are a half-pound patty plus at least that much more in fixings--cheese and mushrooms featured prominently if I remember right. I came in hungry, put down one and was very full. Three would have been impossible. At that time (early September) only six people had completed the challenge so far that year, which tells me that it's a good challenge. No point in calling it a challenge if everyone and their mother can do it (*cough cough, Half-Gallon Challenge).

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Sounds to me like someone has lost a few challenges .....
    Uh, yeah. Maybe it shows that I've spent too much time on WhiteBlaze, but anytime someone brings up food challenges, there's always at least one voice who chimes in with, "They're all stupid! Getting up each day and hiking is all the challenge I need!" Those people must be a lot of fun to be around IRL.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstableCuffe View Post
    So I've heard about quite a few of these traditions, but there are two i have questions on.

1. June 21, National Hike Naked Day. How many people actually do this and oh yeah... How on earth is this even legal?!?!?!
    Did it in Vermont this year. Had a bandana tucked into my hip belt if anyone came by. It's completely legal in Vermont.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I think that is more of an anomaly, the actual tradition is to drop out somewhere between Neels Gap and Harpers Ferry

Since the op brought up hike naked day I though this might be some food for thought:

http://www.wral.com/topless-bill-bus...ttee/12102043/
    LOL. While that's true for the AT it depends on what trail your on and in what circles you normally associate.

AT tradition. walking the Creeper trail out of Damascus. for many it's their first blue-blaze

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    AT tradition. walking the Creeper trail out of Damascus. for many it's their first blue-blaze
    ...and is this an "acceptable" blue blaze, or does it incur the wrath of the "oldtimers" for it's lack of purity??

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    ...and is this an "acceptable" blue blaze, or does it incur the wrath of the "oldtimers" for it's lack of purity??
    there are no "acceptable" blue-blazes according to purists. must be tough being so anal

CF97 > Everything Else.

there are no "acceptable" blue-blazes according to purists. must be tough being so anal
    Of the blue blazes I took the Creeper was by far the best! Easy hiking (slit up hill) and a meandering creek.... wonderful.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Journal Entries
    Images

Who makes up so called hiker traditions? I think that many of the so called traditions are made up by boared hikers sitting around a fire at night and go no further than that. As I said before," the only AT tridition is walking to Maine."
    Grampie-N->2001

I dont know if you would call them 'traditions'. There are a lot of things that hikers hear about from previous year (or many years) and decide they want to do them too. And there are several places on the trail that have hiker 'challenges'. I wouldnt exactly call them traditions, more like options.

Here is a list of some that I have heard about....

- carry a small rock from one terminus to the other
    - hike mileage equal to your age on your birthday
    - 4 state challenge... start in VA and hike ~40 miles and finish in PA
    - Full moon and/or Summer solstice night hike
    - 50 mile challenge... Kincora to Damascus in a single day
    - Half Gallon challenge... eat a half gallon ice cream IronHorse Manor PA
    - blueberry pancage challenge.. Andover ME
    - Vermonstor challenge.. any Ben and Jerry's store in Vermont can provide all the details
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

I find the "hike naked" thing just a little creepy.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    only creepy guys do it. you never see gorgeous females doing it.

Images

only creepy guys do it. you never see gorgeous females doing it.
    Reminds of a shelter log i was reading through a few years back in SNP, Guy said "thankfully I saw no nude hikers yesterday, but did see three ladies at one of the overlooks who I wish were hiking nude."
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

The 96er.

--louis

Thanks everyone for all the info. I've got a little leather journal with a bunch of info in it and much of these are going in it. And I do agree with some people that the only tradition is to actually finish. Although when it's you and the same two people talking everyday for months you run out of things to say. So some interesting things had better happen or your in for a boring time lol

Journal Entries
    Images

You are bit mixed up. It's the ATC that has the issue with blue blazes-- at least with regard to that organization's 2,000miler recognition.

Here is what the ATC tells hikers and then literally asks them to sign a document telling them you have hiked the Trail to their standard:

"In the event of a trail closure or a safety hazard (such as a swollen stream, a forest fire, or an impending storm on an exposed ridge) hikers may take alternate routes (including by vehicle) and still receive official 2,000-miler recognition."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++