Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Keep the boyfriend
    Wear some pants
    Get out in the woods and dance

Tell the folks who just don't know
    "That was Fun" "Told you so!"

Images

I personally think going to the mall or even to work is WAY more dangerous. It is a waist of time to try and make people that never allow themselves to be alone to understand that Humans need some solitude to stay sane.
    Just do it and don't feel obligated to explain it to anyone. People that do understand won't need the explanation and the others don't matter. Enjoy your hike and just listen to your instincts.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

I started as a solo hiker for my thruhike on the AT. I did end up hiking with a group of women, but I struggled with giving up my solo hike while also appreciating the benefits, few of which were safety related, mostly financial benefits (sharing rooms, shuttles, etc).

Use their criticism and doubt to motivate yourself. Prove them wrong. You don't have to engage, but you could also tell them to put their money where their mouth is. Make them bet against you. That way, when you win the bet by not dying or whatever it is they claim will happen to you, you made some money as well.

That ought to shut them up.

While I agree that walking the streets is more than likely more dangerous. One thing I do, even as an adult male is carry a telescoping stun baton. It will add aprox 1/2 lb to your load but believe me, if you need it , which I seriously doubt, it will discourage anyone who has bad intentions.

Go enjoy your hike.

As I prepare for my thru hike I'm getting sick and tired of my family of naysayers. Anyone want to adopt them? Any of this sound familiar?

"Aren't you afraid that:"

--a bear will eat you?
    --a tornado will get you?
    --you'll fall down the trail and break your leg? (OK...that one has some merit given my history)
    --someone will cut your neck with a razor blade? (REALLY?!)

And let's not forget the:

"A lone woman.................."
    "What if you get robbed?"
    "What if a mountain man gets you?"
    "You're going by yourself? Alone? In the woods?"

And my personal favorite so far:
    "What if someone crawls in your tent?

Clearly the AT has some sinister underbelly that White Blaze is not informing me of.....

I've LOL'd about as much as I can...March had better get here fast or I may have to go postal on the fam......

Images

I did not read all the comments before but to me it seems OP is type of person who wants to keep every body around her happy and supportive. That is an almost mission impossible . Once somewhere I read that one who wants to keep every body happy ends up making every body unhappy including himself. That sounds right to me. There are dangers every where in our life including on AT ,But that is the fun part of the life, dealing with dangers in the safest way possible.

Let the challenges makes you stronger . Make yourself happy and others start to follow.

Wear a Neck Knife -use a toggle no a knot- and snap it out of its sheath and tell them "I'll be fiiiiiine."

LoL, Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    You gals are lucky that you even have the option to hike alone... I don't. Just the thought of it strikes fear in my heart.
    I used to feel that way about swimming or getting into water more than waist deep. So I forced myself to take scuba diving lessons in order to get over it. It worked, and I've been fine now for 25 years. In fact, just ten days ago, I was diving at 140' depth in the Blue Hole in Belize, with a sheer wall beneath me that plunged to 407' deep. The mere thought of doing this before I forced myself into the water would have given me a panic attack.

Moral of the story is, maybe you can get over your fear too.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries

I hiked with a partner and my 70 lbs dog last year and I'm soloing this year. When my mom inevitably freaked out about the solo part I told her that I'd have to be crazy to return to something that was that unsafe. You don't hike the trail if you're afraid of people, you hike the trail to restore your faith in them. She hasn't brought it up since. My dad is still trying to get me to bring bear mace, however.

Images

most people do not like when other people do something that is off the regular path of life. people get so caught up in the current moment living their tunnel vision lives and never leave their comfort zone. those people have nothing better to do than criticize people that do things out of the ordinary. i usually stick their useless commets in the back of my head for future use. to all the naysayers out there, get off your programed asses and do something different in life before life runs away from you. also try to support people around you not try and tear them down....ignore all negative BS and do your thing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    I used to feel that way about swimming or getting into water more than waist deep. So I forced myself to take scuba diving lessons in order to get over it. It worked, and I've been fine now for 25 years. In fact, just ten days ago, I was diving at 140' depth in the Blue Hole in Belize, with a sheer wall beneath me that plunged to 407' deep. The mere thought of doing this before I forced myself into the water would have given me a panic attack.

Thanks for the encouragement Hot Flash. Your dive sounds wonderful!!

I tried to scuba dive in the Bahamas but I couldn't get the breathing right plus my brain couldn't handle sitting on the bottom of the pool for 15 minutes, without "coming up for air." I've heard of others having that same issue. I'm sure I could learn to get over that feeling too.

Anyway, I'm fine being alone with myself for a lil while. I'm an extrovert so I recharge by being around people. I also start feeling vulnerable alone in the woods. I don't like that feeling at all. I'm a controlling person. I don't feel like I have much control, alone in the woods. Being female, I'm sure, has a lot to do it. I have never taken any defense classes so I know that would help me feel better, if I took some classes. Alpine Bomber mentioned not bringing bear mace. Alpine Bomber!

Ahhh..... Good grief, I would have to have SOMETHING with me to feel a little bit more secure while hiking alone.

For now, I just sit back and admire all the people that can hike alone......

Stay away from the negative people. If your bf is approving and supportive then discuss with him. If you have family members and other friends who are supportive, then share only with them. You're doing all the research and ensuring your personal safety so just tune out those people who are trying to talk you out of what may be the start of a big adventure for you.

just do it! i'm a 25 year old lady and i've been on several road trips and (hitch)hiking trips by myself. you can almost find humor in some peoples' reactions when you tell them that you're going solo.. "you're not bringing a man? or at least a dog?" i thoroughly enjoy traveling on my own, and wouldn't give it up for anything. it's enthralling and empowering and i honestly think that the negative reactions from others stem from the fact that they are too scared to attempt something similar.
    all of us have a place in history. mine is clouds.

Images

I am a almost 60 man and my mother who is her late 80's still thinks I am crazy for hiking in woods by myself and I have doing so for 40+ years. Don't listen to them and go have a good time.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

What kind of people are you hanging out with that give you crap for doing someone so awesome? This seems like a pretty implausible story; that everyone would be berating you for it so much so that you'd post on here about it. The only explanation I can think of, and I don't mean this in an insulting way, is that you're somewhat out of shape and they're saying this might contribute to this not being a good idea.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Journal Entries

I started my hiking on the AT March 10th. This is the first real hiking I have ever done. I was really nervous. However, now I feel much more relaxed about hiking alone. I am hiking alone during the day and camping around other hiker during the night, mostly at shelters. When I say I am hiking alone during the day that does not mean I don't ever see other hikers. I honestly say I feel safer out there on the trail then at Walmart. Be prepared, use your senses and tell other people where you are going and when.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Cypress View Post
    While I agree that walking the streets is more than likely more dangerous. One thing I do, even as an adult male is carry a telescoping stun baton. It will add aprox 1/2 lb to your load but believe me, if you need it , which I seriously doubt, it will discourage anyone who has bad intentions. Go enjoy your hike.
    No good against those AT hikers with a blow dart gun or crossbow. The would get you before you would get close enough to use the stun baton. Heck, i could take you out by throwing a rock at you. What you need is a bazooka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post

Similarly, got over a concern for heights by going up to the roof of my grandmother's 20 story building and walking around the 8" wide outside perimeter ledge.

I got a lot of flak when I attempted a thru hike with my dog in 1997. Now, I drive across country (CA to NY) every year and this year hope to tent most nights rather than rely on motels. I've always gotten flak for driving alone and never paid any attention. Now I'm going to sleep in a tent alone in the National Forests & National Parks, and I'm keeping fairly quiet about it. My kids probably don't care for it but they know better to say anything. Just ignore all the naysayers and have a great time.

It's not always a matter of eliminating or minimizing risks. It is sometimes a matter of balancing risks and rewards. Still, I would much rather balance risks and rewards in the context of self vs nature, not self vs evil idiots. On option would be to find a trail with much fewer people, but if you have a particular love or hankering for the AT, you shouldn't have to. Anyhow, once you have balanced the equations to your own satisfaction, world be damned.

"With age and experience, comes.....indifference."

+1

You are young, so you end up trying to please people, talking to everyone, & think everyone has your best interests in mind (or wish to think that - I know I did when I was in my teens & 20s). But it doesn't work that way in human nature. People are jealous or intimidated or scared or naturally bossy, loudmouthed, etc. They may not even realize they are, either (not many people are introspective about themselves actually).

So really, the best advice is to ignore people like that, dont even hang around them, they aren't worth your time. They're useless (to you & themselves as they cant even figure themselves out, ie: why they do what they do).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++