WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Man up and carry your own supply for the 100 mile wilderness. It ain't all wilderness, but it ain't called the 50 mile wilderness either.

I was oggling the 1 lb whoppie pies...

Good job remembering the smiley....

BTW, one of the noisiest nights I had on the entire AT was camping near a road in the hundred mile wilderness. I forget where it was but it was near a campground that had a store that had recently closed. Cars drove by all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

BTW, one of the noisiest nights I had on the entire AT was camping near a road in the hundred mile wilderness. I forget where it was but it was near a campground that had a store that had recently closed. Cars drove by all night long.
    Well you are an exception. I don't think your little pack can carry ten days of food, even that stuff you cook on an Esbit. You could never go that long.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

mmm 1 lbs whoopie pies. every hikers dream

After the trail I was at a pizza shop in Concord, NH that had massive whoopie pies (for 3$) that they estimated at 5000ish calories! These things were about 8 by 3 inches. They looked like a cream (dream?) filled discus

I stopped by in late August 2012 for lunch and resupply. From talking with the guy, they seemed to be planning to be opened this year as he was talking about an upgrade to their credit card system for next season (ie. no longer having to telephone call a credit card number in for a high fee) that would lower the cost of using one.

Just checked the Whitehouse Landing web site and no news about the upcoming season, in fact it doesn't look like it has been updated for a couple years. http://whitehouselanding.com/index.html
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Just want to post that Whitehouse Landing Camps are open this hiker season...Thanks Linda & Bill Ware

Images

I stayed there when i did the 100 mile wilderness-Bill and Linda were great they were friendly and helpful . The food was great
    Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    My stay there was the highlight of the 100 mw. The food was great and both Bill & Linda were nice. I think that Bill is an introvert and as such comes across to some as unpleasant. Linda is just the opposite and is very outgoing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to return to do a multi-lake kayaking tour.
    White House Landing has always been my favorite place to stop on the whole Appalachian Trail. Bill and Linda are some of the nicest people I know.

Take the canoe out before dusk and you can watch Katahdin fade away for the night....beautiful!!

I had a pretty good stay there.

The only thing I found annoying is every time I'd get near their resupply food someone would come out and watch me like a hawk like I was going to steal a pop tart or something.
    Nothing wrong with keeping a tally of goods in a business. Bill and Linda have a correct total waiting like any business should.

I always had to get after Steve Longley when it was time to settle up at his place. He would give me an amount I owed and it would ALWAYS be much less than it should have been. I had to go down his list and figure what he wasn't charging me for. He would have lost $10 to $15.00 each time on just me. Can you imagine how much he must have lost over the years??

Think Keith Shaw didn't keep a tally??

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    Do you know of it will be buisness as usual this year....I am sort of counting on it as a resupply point...?
    Your question about White House Landing being open this year has been answered already as yes. I ALWAYS resupply there whether I'm walking north that year or walking south. It's about 70 miles from Monson for a nobo and about 30 miles from Abol Bridge for a sobo. I also pack out a pizza for the first night's dinner out of White House Landing no matter which way I'm heading.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Whitehouse Landing was contacted by Companion field editors in 2012 for the 2013 edition and any changes have been updated

Like any private resupply facility it's best to call before sending any packages.
    Sly....I don't believe they have accepted mail drops for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Man up and carry your own supply for the 100 mile wilderness. It ain't all wilderness, but it ain't called the 50 mile wilderness either.

I guess you could call it wilderness, but there sure are lots of people that drive to spots in "The Wilderness" in cars and a fair share of loggers and day hikers and lots of roads. A person can arrange to have a cache hidden for them or be picked up or dropped off there. It is more remote than most of the AT and nice walkin' though.

Quote Originally Posted by camp mom View Post
    Just want to post that Whitehouse Landing Camps are open this hiker season...Thanks Linda & Bill Ware
    Hello Linda.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post

Sly....I don't believe they have accepted mail drops for years now.
    Right, says so right in the description I quoted! (I think I was thrown off by one of the preceding questions)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Nice to see you're still alive & kickin' Stumpknocker!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++