WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pack Weight?

Also, carry three eyehooks -- you may have a storm come in frontwise into the shelter and will want to block the storm with your carry-on shelter. Use all that "rope" you've got listed in your backpack contents to string between the eyehooks to drape your shelter over.

Datto

By the way, my backpack weight at the very start of my AT thru-hike when I signed in at the Approach Trail Visitor's Center was 37.5 lbs including food to get to Neels Gap and 2 liters of water.

That was too much weight and I adjusted quickly to get to 30 lbs with same food and water and less pack contents. Even with that the climbs in Georgia and North Carolina were difficult -- I was 6'-1" and 205lbs when I started my AT thru-hike and I was in pretty good shape to start.

As you get further north, your appetite will start kicking in and you'll dump even more "stuff" out of your backpack in order to carry more/better food. I think the most my backpack ever weighed on my AT thru-hike was just over 40 lbs in the 100 mile wilderness of Maine. By that time, pack weight wasn't that big of a deal to me since I was in great trail shape. That extra food came in handy for what was in store for me in the 100 mile wilderness.

Datto

Datto, lots of great info and opinions. You made some good points and Ill definitely be making some changes.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Someone posted once about bringing a garbage bag to pull over the legs while at breaks, if you decide to not bring the rain pants, maybe this would be a viable light weight option so you can at least get some relief while your legs/pants are soaking wet and cold with wind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    * Nalgene Bottles -- most thru-hikers don't use those because they weigh too much -- A standard Gatorade bottle weighs much less and is very rugged.
    Forgot to add -- when the Dark Green Slime (DGS<tm>) hits your bottles on your AT thru-hike (Nalgene or any other) you just throw the Gatorade bottles away and get some new ones. If you're using Nalgene bottles that weigh more, you have to clean them out.

Datto

Just so you know, when I started the process you are now doing, I was at 28 pounds and I felt for sure I'd never get it down to 25. When I got to 25 I figured 23 was my personal lowest possible weight. When I hit 20, I was ecstatic and claimed victory. I'm now at 18 and I'm looking for 2 more which I know is impossible Shakedown hikes and relentless research helps a lot, as does a willingness to return almost anything shamelessly. Keep all of your receipts, take good care of things and launder them thoroughly before returning them and you'd be surprised what retailers will accept.

Also, AT thru-hikers should all take earplugs. If you have ear canals that are sensitive buy the brown-colored Hearos brand earplugs to take with you.

If you use earplugs in the shelter you'll get much better sleep at night and the sound of things in the woods (ie, animals, tree branches falling, ice crashing into the ground) won't be heard in the beginning of your AT thru-hike so you'll get better rest.

Datto

Better yet, don't sleep at shelters.

Journal Entries

shelters suck for sleeping
    but they are good for getting a quick easy start in the morning
    especially if it rained overnight

Suggest you view Lynne Whelden's Video "Lightweight Backpacking Secrets Revealed" [No, we're not related in any way.]

Take 1 ounce off of each of your 60 items and you'll lighten your load by 3 3/4 pounds. Some items you can reduce by many more ounces than just one. You may have to spend some money though.

And from what I'm looking at, your list reflects your insecurities. Take it down a couple notches. You have a heavy pack but a light tent? You have a lot of redundant items. Nearly everything should do Double Duty.

A pound on the foot is five on the back. But with the weight of your empty backpack, you probably do need the heavy boots.

Don't use all those storage sacks. Use post office style Rubber Bands or put like items into ONE storage sack or just use a waterproof liner [trash bag or compactor bag].

You have a lot of clothes. One set to wear, one set to sleep in and walk into town in.

You could put some items in your bounce box.

Watch the video a couple times and then decide what to change.

Personally, I'd start with the pack and the clothes and limit the redundancies and the size of your first aid kit.

LOTS of great gear lists on line to look at.

Good luck, Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

I am hiking the foothills trail two weeks and my pack weight for that trip before food and water is right at 23lbs. This is the lightest my pack has ever been for a trip and I believe it is because I weighed each of my items individually. After my trip I am going to go through all my gear and eliminate unused items and see what my weight is at after that. I'll keep you all posted.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    Forgot to add -- when the Dark Green Slime (DGS<tm>) hits your bottles on your AT thru-hike (Nalgene or any other) you just throw the Gatorade bottles away and get some new ones. If you're using Nalgene bottles that weigh more, you have to clean them out.

Datto
    If you want indestructable water bottles and weight is not too much of a concern, try Kleen Kanteen stainless bottles. They can be used to boil water (right in the bottle - leaving the top off) and hold up much better to boiling water than Nalgenes. I have dropped mine numerous times on rocks when it was nearly full and it has the dents to show for it, but it is still water tight (and I like the slightly smaller mouth for drinking out of - Nalgenes tend to spill water out the sides of your mouth, and it's nearly impossible to drink out of them while you are still walking). If for some reason I got separated from my pack and had some matches and my bottle, I could boil and purify water for drinking as well as being able to sleep with it as a hot water bottle. I use it regularly in my hammock.

Side note: I've noticed that slime does not build up on my stainless bottle even after several weeks of use without washing. It never gets the funky smell that plastic bottles do, either.

One more thing: In the summer, when I need to gather more water (on ridges where you have to travel a long way for water), I bring a water bladder (I like Platypus) because 40 oz. (the size of my Kleen Kanteen) isn't enough for dinner, breakfast, and the first part of the next day.
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-21-2013 at 18:14.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    One more thing: In the summer, when I need to gather more water (on ridges where you have to travel a long way for water), I bring a water bladder (I like Platypus) because 40 oz. (the size of my Kleen Kanteen) isn't enough for dinner, breakfast, and the first part of the next day.
    This is such a great idea if you're going to be making camp soon (and/or don't want to walk back down and up that hill!). I did the same thing last year by filling up my gravity filter holding bag without the drain hose attached. Clipped it to my pack and made my way back up the looong hill to camp. Had plenty for the night all the way up to noon the next day.

Journal Entries
    Images

I will start this off with the hikers first commandment "Thou shalt hike thine own hike"!
    Don't let fear make gear choices for you. We need much less than we think we do to get by. I myself am a reformed gear junkie. I have been shedding pack weight for the last couple of seasons. I am no gram counter. Nor do I claim to be an expert on ultralite backpacking. But as the saying goes ounces equal pounds. My big three pack, bag, and shelter are roughly 5.5-6 lbs Golite jam 50, Noah's 9 Tarp w/ground sheet I bought at REI garage sale and a homemade down quilt (Thru-hiker.com) which I beef up with a SOL escape emergency bivvy. I also carry a sawyer filter, homemade stove and 16 oz capacity anodized pot from Walmart, Z-Rest and not much else.
    I drink as much water as possible a all sources I come to and unless I'm in a very dry area I carry only a litre of water.

I would say ditch the books and use the saved weight for food. The spice container could go also, try putting it in straws then heat a knife and melt the open ends closed. Try freezer bag cooking to eliminate the need for soap and scrubbing pads and extra water to clean. There are tons of ultra light blogs and videos. Most of which give sound and more importantly cheap or even free ideas to save weight.

Humans need food, sleep, shelter and water everything else falls into the want category. Be creative and have fun finding ways to re pack or live without to save weight.

A couple quick suggestions. Get out and use the gear even if only on some overnighters, take food for 5 days at simulate your thru hike. Keep a journal of what you used and how, scrutinize everything and take it from there. I have done this for years to get to a comfy 15# base weight for me. Do take the advice to hke your own hike, but the more weight the tougher the hike will be on your body. The two items that stick out most to me are the Pack and Bag, you could shed 3 pounds there pretty easily. Good luck.

Thanks for the input guys. HYOH is a good motto to live by and that's exactly what I am trying to do. I am no ultralight backpacker and I don't plan to be one. I take a grain of salt and little suggestions from everyone and it has helped a lot. Keep it coming.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Images

Great stuff here....I have nothing more to add but I would like to stay updated on your progress if you drop your weight anymore!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

So I loaded up my pack for the first time since I updated alot of my gear. Amazing! I feel like I was missing some stuff because there was so much extra room in my pack. I leave for the foothills trail on Friday, March 8th and I am excited to see how I deal with the new pack weight!
    Transcend the Bull$hit

I enjoyed reading this thread as I also am in the weight-shedding process. Over the past few months my pack weight has gone from 35lbs to 22lbs . I know i am carrying a few luxury items still but hey, HYOH right? By the way I really liked Coosa's idea about taking only 1 ounce off of each piece of gear.. I'm going to give that a try and hopefully reach 20lbs base weight before I leave on March 17th for my thru.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    But that took many trips over many seasons, slowly gaining experience and confidence along the way. You'll figure it out, probably not all at once.
    Indeed. I like busting this list out to show my own evolution. Took a while!

http://www.pmags.com/the-evolving-ge...%E2%80%93-2006
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++