WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Showers/laundry

Default Showers/laundry

Doing my first section hike in April. Is it pretty easy to find a place to shower and do laundry once you get to a town?

Images

What section would help. Generally yes, pretty easy. Get Awol's guide or the Companion for detailed info on hostels, motels, laundry mat, & maps of trail towns + a whole lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    What section would help. Generally yes, pretty easy. Get Awol's guide or the Companion for detailed info on hostels, motels, laundry mat, & maps of trail towns + a whole lot more.
    That is great info, thank you. I am starting at Springer Mtn and traveling to Franklin, NC. If you know of a good place to park in/near Franklin, that would be great as well. Thank you again.

Images

Hostel & Shower at Neels Gap http://www.mountaincrossings.com/ 30 miles in along with an outfitter & resupply right on the trail. For Franklin; RON HAVEN! Runs a free shuttle bus from trail to his motels in town. Check here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-amp-Hiawassee. He may be also be able to do a shuttle to Springer or help arrange one. He is a stand out when it come to people providing services along the trail.

Your question made me think of a news story from last week. When that Carnival Cruse ship lost power in the Gulf of Mexico, one news reporter said that "the passengers would be without fresh food, toilets, or showers for several days". Of all the things they went through, I thought it interesting that they highlighted "not having a shower for several days", considering that most of the people on the planet (and all thru hikers) do that on a regular basis.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Your question made me think of a news story from last week. When that Carnival Cruse ship lost power in the Gulf of Mexico, one news reporter said that "the passengers would be without fresh food, toilets, or showers for several days". Of all the things they went through, I thought it interesting that they highlighted "not having a shower for several days", considering that most of the people on the planet (and all thru hikers) do that on a regular basis.
    To bad there wasn't any water around to do a sponge bath in! If it was that bad I'd think even salt water would do, not to mention the swimming pools most cruise ships have. I even saw a report where it rained.
    Last edited by Mountain Mike; 02-20-2013 at 00:41.

It's such a shame that they had to live in such terrible conditions for so long (5 days) when there are so many more in third world countries that have only lived in far worst conditions for only several years.

OK, I purchased the AT guide, but I still can't find anything aroudn the 70 to 80 mile area to get off the trail and have a shower and laundry, anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    OK, I purchased the AT guide, but I still can't find anything aroudn the 70 to 80 mile area to get off the trail and have a shower and laundry, anyone have any suggestions?
    Just keep walking. Dont be affraid of the stank

Journal Entries
    Images

I still trying to understand what happened to skinny dipping and a bar of Ivory that floats....what happened???
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hiawassee.....

Look for Dicks Creek Gap. I think it is closer to mile 65. I prefer the Blueberry Patch for this stop.

Right, Blueberry patchm how did I miss that?! Is it very far from the trail? Can you walk there? Also, how far is Mountain Crossings from the trail? Thank you!

Right, Blueberry patchm how did I miss that?! Is it very far from the trail? Can you walk there? Also, how far is Mountain Crossings from the trail? Thank you!
    trail goes through mtn crossings

Images

The trail goes thru the arch at Mountain Crossings under the building.

hitchhike.......

Thank you!

You are likely to find someone at the road crossing going that way. It's one of those places where rides just appear. Good place for a mail drop too, even if they usually do runs to town. You don't really need a town trip that early in a hike, enjoy the property and the creek and the hospitality.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You are likely to find someone at the road crossing going that way. It's one of those places where rides just appear. Good place for a mail drop too, even if they usually do runs to town. You don't really need a town trip that early in a hike, enjoy the property and the creek and the hospitality.
    That was in reference to Blueberry.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

If I get really grungy I heat up a pot of water and take sponge bath in the tent before crashing, not a hot shower but it helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++