WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I taken about a dozen international trips, and close to that many domestic ones with all of my climbing/hiking/backpacking gear, always simply checked it, never had any problems, even with my various stoves and fuel bottles. I always disassemble the stoves into the smallest pieces possible and put them in triple zip-locks and separated in the luggage. for simple backpack trips, I just put the backpack in a large trash bag, wrap tape around it, poke a hole in the top to be able to grap the haul loop, and check it. I did use a box once, that works well too. Basically, they just don't want loose straps on checked luggage. that plastic wrap stuff around backpacks works well too, in fact, the Denver United check in has that stuff available to use.

Of course, you cannot check fuel of any sort.

As said below, don't over think this.

I am aware that you can have issues with packing stoves on flights. Has anyone had a problem with packing a pepsi-can stove?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I bought a cheap hockey bag and put my pack and poles in it. When I arrived in Atlanta my bag went to the oversize area for pick up.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I am aware that you can have issues with packing stoves on flights. Has anyone had a problem with packing a pepsi-can stove?
    Nope. Taken penny Stove and Fancy Feast stoves, cross-Country (AL-CA) a couple of times and took the alcky stoves because I didn't want the hassel of finding an outfitter for butane canisters. Even used the stove 2-3 hours for morning coffe the day of my return flight. Burn all the fuel out then let it sit till cooled down, all the alcohol should be evaporated then.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Nope. Taken penny Stove and Fancy Feast stoves, cross-Country (AL-CA) a couple of times and took the alcky stoves because I didn't want the hassel of finding an outfitter for butane canisters. Even used the stove 2-3 hours for morning coffe the day of my return flight. Burn all the fuel out then let it sit till cooled down, all the alcohol should be evaporated then.
    Sweet. That's great to know.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Good ideas about the box and cheapo suitcase.

When flying anywhere, especially from overseas, I usually put every restricted item including my hiking poles inside my pack, tighten down all the straps, click together anything than can, and put it in a plastic bag or some kind of sack if I can find one. Onboard goes my sleeping bag and any unrestricted gear that I would prefer not to replace at all or on short notice. So far, so good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++