WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting through NC with a dog -- bypass Smokies?

Hello dog people. I am planning on doing the NC section of the AT with my dog. This will be her first long distance hike but we have done plenty of other hikes together and I take her climbing nearly every weekend. She knows her manners and responds to my commands. I am under the impression that this forum is a safe place to post questions about hiking with my pup but if you're going to lecture me about how much you hate dogs, I invite you to press the back button on your browser...

Anyway, I am aware that dogs are not allowed in the Smokies and I of course wouldn't want to violate any rules. Is there a nice trail we can use to bypass this area? I'm a climber, so I'm used to basically nonexistent trails and lots of bushwacking if that's necessary. I'd prefer not to get a shuttle but I guess if that's the only way I will do it.

If there is another post on this topic I would appreciate a link. Thanks so much for reading and any relevant advice offered. Have a lovely day :)

There is no easy way to by-pass the Smokies by foot. It would be about a 150 mile road walk! Look at a map! There are people who will kennel the pup and shuttle it around and meet you at the other end. Will likely cost you a couple hunderd to do so.

Since your from GA, it might be possible to have someone bring the dog up to you after your done with the Smokies. Or skip the Smokies and start at the north end of the park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is no easy way to by-pass the Smokies by foot. It would be about a 150 mile road walk! Look at a map! There are people who will kennel the pup and shuttle it around and meet you at the other end. Will likely cost you a couple hunderd to do so.

Since your from GA, it might be possible to have someone bring the dog up to you after your done with the Smokies. Or skip the Smokies and start at the north end of the park.
    This really is your best bet if you're trying to thru.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Last I had heard, Curtis takes dogs at Standing Bear

Cool, thanks for the help y'all. I guess I'll just go for another section, or start at the edge of the Smokies and hike north. I'm not through-hiking, just wanting to go for a bit of a stroll with my pup

i hope your dog is up to it i see so many people with dogs on trail that should never be out there. good trail to bypass would be I 40 or I 81

Quote Originally Posted by WishIWereHiking View Post
    Cool, thanks for the help y'all. I guess I'll just go for another section, or start at the edge of the Smokies and hike north. I'm not through-hiking, just wanting to go for a bit of a stroll with my pup
    Id rethink doing the section north of the Smokies if its your dogs first hike. The hike from Green Corner to Walnut is a long steady uphill. The carvers to 19 is a great section with lots of area for doggie to just run

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Last I had heard, Curtis takes dogs at Standing Bear
    I would not suggest leaving any valuables there, let alone a living creature.

I agree with those that have said to have your dog brought to you after the smokies, or perhaps doing another section.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WishIWereHiking View Post
    Or you could start at the other end (Fontana Dam) and head south. The NC section south of the Smokies is wonderful trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    I would not suggest leaving any valuables there, let alone a living creature.

I agree with those that have said to have your dog brought to you after the smokies, or perhaps doing another section.
    Why not? He officially kennels there, can provide transportation if you need to bail, or if you just want to check on doggy-dog midway through the smokies. Heard lots of fine reports of stays there.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post

Why not? He officially kennels there, can provide transportation if you need to bail, or if you just want to check on doggy-dog midway through the smokies. Heard lots of fine reports of stays there.
    Were the fine reports from 2012? I didn't meet anyone that was impressed with Standing Bear. Curtis may be nice, but the guy he had in charge was an alcoholic with a tough guy complex and a scar on his face. His story about fighting with a woman several times was very impressive. The kids that were doing "work for stay" or "work for ridiculous amounts of alcohol" were out of control. One kid literally almost pissed on several people in the bunk room.

I would suggest stopping in for a shower(that was great), DiGiorno, and maybe a resupply. But unless its under new management/Curtis is more hands on again........ I'd never send a dog "parent" to that place.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

Curtis admitted to me personally that he has kicked a dog that was kennelled. I don't know what the circumstances were (ie... if the dog was being aggressive), but I'm not going to pay someone to be a puppy kicker. Also, he has a nice place out in the country, and while I'm sure his intentions are good on this, he has told me that if the dog is nice, he will allow a boarder dog to wander around the property. With thru-hiking dogs, who are used to being with their owner 24/7 for two to three weeks before the Smokies, this is NOT a good idea. My dog would run off, looking for me.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

++ New Posts ++