WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Haven't needed a Handbook for a couple years so don't know if this has been changed, but for some reason the Handbooks send you to Helen from Unicoi and Hiawassee from Dicks Creek Gap. Just as easy (actually easier now that Ron Haven gives free shuttles) to get to Hiawassee from Unicoi. Hiawassee has better hiker services than Helen. Maybe the authors want to spread the hiker wealth around.
    I answered your complaint in another thread, and added the option, so maybe you need to buy a 2013 Companion!?

Images

I agree with Chin.......if I can shave a few pounds at the cost of a few extra dollars, I am all in. I don't believe there is a wrong or right way though. If you want to pay for convenience, do it. If you want to take more time from hiking and go to a town to save a few bucks, do it. Have been amazed on many occasions by people who would walk 5 miles to save 5 bucks.
    I felt like MC's supply was what I would have expected from a business perspective. I dont imagine fresh bread or veggies or fruit would work other than maybe late march or april. Wouldnt be enough takers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I answered your complaint in another thread, and added the option, so maybe you need to buy a 2013 Companion!?
    You're right, I do need to get a new Companion and I will.

I wish someone hadn't mentioned fresh bread. Now I will be thinking about it at the 30-mile mark.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You're right, I do need to get a new Companion and I will.
    Thanks. Any other suggestions will be happy to try and oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I wish someone hadn't mentioned fresh bread. Now I will be thinking about it at the 30-mile mark.
    Subway on wheels.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Chin, Have your wife overnight you a maildrop with fresh bread the day before you get there!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Savvy hikers who read whiteblaze now know they can send a mail drop to mountain crossings with all the goodies they need.

Up to and including fresh bread and produce.

I am gladly planning on a resupply at MC. Just saving me from carrying an extra few days of food from the start is well worth the tiny increase in food price.

Why would someone choose to carry more food from the start when MC is right there?
    Ditto.

Double ditto.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Oops. Found the aforementioned $7 toothpaste tube in my bathroom drawer today.

Actual price $2.79. My bad.

Funny thread, especially the comment about the "reality" is that Mountain Crossings occasionally runs out of things on really busy weekends. Yes. I acknowledge this. That is indeed reality, as it is in any other retail establishment during really busy times. Stores run out of things sometimes, especially little stores. I wasn't aware that this "reality" was some kind of secret.

For those keeping track of such things: The most popular toothpaste presently in stock (as of this afternoon) was listed at $1.79. It also comes with a toothbrush, so this seems pretty reasonable to me. And as has been previously mentioned, anyone unhappy or uncertain about what is available here at Mountain Crossings is welcome to send a parcel ahead of time, and the staff will happily hold it for you. Or one can hitch or walk to Wal-Mart where prices are lower and they tend to stock things in larger quantities. It's only around 20 miles away. In any case, we try and make people happy here and we help them as much as we can. I'd like to think that our efforts in this direction generally succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Funny thread, especially the comment about the "reality" is that Mountain Crossings occasionally runs out of things on really busy weekends. Yes. I acknowledge this. That is indeed reality, as it is in any other retail establishment during really busy times. Stores run out of things sometimes, especially little stores. I wasn't aware that this "reality" was some kind of secret.

For those keeping track of such things: The most popular toothpaste presently in stock (as of this afternoon) was listed at $1.79. It also comes with a toothbrush, so this seems pretty reasonable to me. And as has been previously mentioned, anyone unhappy or uncertain about what is available here at Mountain Crossings is welcome to send a parcel ahead of time, and the staff will happily hold it for you. Or one can hitch or walk to Wal-Mart where prices are lower and they tend to stock things in larger quantities. It's only around 20 miles away. In any case, we try and make people happy here and we help them as much as we can. I'd like to think that our efforts in this direction generally succeed.
    $1.78 has a better sound to it!

I feel your pain with the pricing for a small store. Your options for purchasing groceries are very limited due to minimum orders with distributors. Too many expect wal-mart pricing everywhere without any consideration that you can't purchase at wal-mart costs.

The thing is, if the place closed up shop, people would be complaining, and wishing it would reopen. Personally, I'll be glad to stop in, and hopefully spend the night when I pass through this year.

Gear prices are in line.My brother bought a hammock and some suspension stuff.We ate at the hostel-pork chops by Pirate. Great night. My resupply filled up my pack with too much food. My brother and I sent home some clothes, crocks, and even some food we didn't want to carry. I didn't see their food prices.

having been a small business owner---I appreciate this fine establishment run by Winton, Pirate, and the rest of his staff. Always helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Their supplies are more than adequate for resupply and fairly priced for the convenience. They know what hikers need, and stock accordingly. I live about 1 hour from MCX and purchase most of my large gear items there. It is closer for me to go to REI, Dicks, etc but for the quality of equipment and service, I make the drive to MCX. Quality equipment cost some money, but you cant always get the excellent service that they provide. There could not be a better place for hikers, many that are inexperienced, hurting, and in need of help, than MCX.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++