Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default hiking in the first months of pregnancy?

I was going to be on the trail for two months starting mid-April, GA. I just found out that I am pregnant. My question is: should I abandon the idea of my dream hike now? or is solo long distance hiking during the first months of pregnancy still feasible? I am healthy and in shape.

thank you for your responses and
    happy trails,
    t.

Images

you should talk to your doctor, or find a doctor who hikes and talk to them (since the idea of long distance hiking is viewed as being completely crazy by some)
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

how pregnant are you?

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I second Gaiter, to discuss with a doctor.

Some other thoughts:

- Have you experienced any morning sickness?

- Can you get enough good nutrition while distance hiking?

- How hard were you planning to push yourself? Will your plans allow you to take it easy and listen to your body?

You might want to talk to Nocona... she was hiking one of the western trails (CDT?) with her husband when she got pregnant.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Cancel the hike. Long distance hiking is very strenuous. It is hard to replace calories lost. You will end up falling from time to time. It's not worth the risk. In about 8 years, you can take the kiddo with you. Until then, it's still a journey, just a different type of amazing adventure.

If you are healthy and active you should have no problems.Of course you should consult with your Doctor. I have 10 children and rode horses and hiked 'til birth. I actually think my deliveries were easier do to good muscle tone. The only thing my doctor advised was to stay with activities I was already involved with.

Well the simple fact you mention "solo" means it should be canceled. It doesn't matter if the likelihood of you completing the hike is 95% without a hitch, if you experience any difficulty while hiking that could result in any harm to either you or your baby, you'll be alone and unable to get to a doctor ASAP. The risks of such incidents are real for people who don't hike, let alone those who distance themselves from civilization. I just think it's not worth.

Now, bear in mind, I work as a personal trainer and the hiking itself, at least in terms of exertion, should not be too strenuous early into your pregnancy as long as you understand that you'll be eating for the equivalent of 3 or 4 (2 + the added calories needed to sustain your hike). This assumes that you're an active hiker at present. My reservations exist solely on the grounds that you could take a spill, fall ill, have an unforeseen complication, etc.; honestly, I'm sure you'd be fine, but if something does happen, lord forbid, you'd surely blame yourself and have to live with it.

If you must hike, definitely consult your doctor, but if possible, put it on hold an take your child in the future karoberts suggested.

In general I can't think of an activity more befitting a pregnant woman than walking in the woods and spending time in natural surroundings. Of course the devil is in the details. It depends on what sort of shape you are in, how many miles per day you would like to do, and what risks might be associated with your pregnancy which might make you want to stay within reasonable reach of medical attention either for you or yours. I think if your doctor is also a long distance hiker, or a marathon runner or something like that, and a mom, that would be ideal. I am none of those things. I just like the woods.

In general the only think that would concern me would be the remoteness. Everything else can be done in moderation. Even the remoteness can be mitigated somewhat depending on what sections you have planned. There is likely a healthy balance which should work for you which includes lots of hiking, though perhaps not an entire thru-hike, and perhaps not the most remote areas depending on your risk factors.

Images

Tanya, my mother's a doctor and I'll check with her, as I know she's been outdoorsy while pregnant too see what she has to say but here are my thoughts:
    To me, what sounds logical is to hike with someone and make the days slightly easier than you were already planning. Bring more food, slow down the mileage and have someone with you-preferably someone who might know something about health related type things. And carry a cellphone (in case there is reception).
    Of course, you should check with your doctor first.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Thank you for your thoughts and insights. They are greatly appreciated. Of course I'll consult with the doctor before making any decisions. But I wanted to raise this question here because members of this forum are hikers and understand the realities of hiking without overdramatizing them. I am glad to hear that some of you incline to think that it is doable as long as the mileage is reasonable and the food is plentiful and healthy.

Lillianp, I am looking forward to input from your mother.

happy trails,
    t.

Images

If you're basically healthy and in good shape, why not hike? It would be a good idea to pay extra attention to your diet--take a prenatal vitamin, get plenty of protein, eat more fruits and veg than the normal hiker.

If you start feeling bad (spotting or whatever), you can always bail temporarily or permanently. On the southern AT you're never that far from town.

Honestly, people act so crazy about what pregnant women should and shouldn't do. As if 90+% of the world's mothers don't do hard physical work every day of their lives, walking on foot wherever they need to go, drawing water, cooking over fires, etc.

Pregnancy can relax your ligaments in some surprising ways, so you'll probably want to keep your pack weight down. My blood pressure always dropped when I was pregnant, and I had to be careful about straightening up suddenly.

After the baby is born, long-distance hiking (and just about everything else you might want to do for yourself) becomes much, much harder for as far into the future as you will want to look. Hike now--it'll be a memory to cherish when you're nursing the baby to sleep.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I was going to be on the trail for two months starting mid-April, GA. I just found out that I am pregnant. My question is: should I abandon the idea of my dream hike now? or is solo long distance hiking during the first months of pregnancy still feasible? I am healthy and in shape.

thank you for your responses and
    happy trails,
    t.
    nobody has mentioned the emotional aspects as you will be away from the father during that time. Unless of course he's not in the picture....

Hike smarter, not harder.

Eat right, don't over do it, and take the neonatal vitamins. No big deal.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

This will be unpopular, but I don't think you should do it. That's alot of calories to be burning without a good diet to replace them. I don't think a prenatal vitamin is going to make up for a diet of ramens and lipton noodles.
    I'm just sayin', it seems kind of self-centered.
    Fillet me if you want, but you asked for opinions.

I know two women who got pregnant shortly before starting a thruhike (one on the PCT and one on the CDT) - both got off the trail because they felt thruhiking was too risky. One lost her child anyway. Those trails are more strenuous than the AT, but still - it is a risk.

There is also the fact that in the early stages of your pregnancy you will sometimes get very very tired. You may also have problems with smells (and hikers really do smell) and food tasting wierd and your appetite may not be sufficient. If your nutrition isn't good, you may lose hair and teeth. (My sister lost several teeth because of bad diet while pregnant.)

I would definitely talk to your doctor. If you do go on the trail - relax and do short days and be prepared to leave if something doesn't feel right.

Images

Addressing the "too risky" question in a very blunt way: Pregnancies that are meant to last, do. Pregnancies that are not meant to go to term, don't. It can be sad when it happens, but you really can't blame yourself--it happens, and it happens a lot. (It happened to me, too--I had one miscarriage and had three full-term pregnancies, which puts me right in there with a 25% average.)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ntage+of+pregn

Back in the old days, women used to do everything under the sun to terminate pregnancies (jumping off barn roofs and so on), and it almost never worked. On the other hand, women can take to bed, zealously follow abstruse dietary and medical guidelines, and still miscarry.

Diet is important in maintaining your health, though, as well as the baby's, especially folic acid, protein, calcium, iron, and all that good stuff. In the early stages, you don't need a lot of extra calories--if fact, one can make a case that most Americans, pregnant or not, get way too many calories. As Spirit Walker mentioned, dental hygiene is important--the chemistry of your mouth will change, and can lead to cavities and even loss of teeth, whether or not you go for a long hike.

So part of your honest assessment of whether this hike is a good idea for you is whether you have the $$$ to support yourself well during your hike, buying the proper food and taking days off in town if you feel the need. And, of course, this would not be the time to cut off your medical insurance by quitting a job.
    Last edited by Marta; 04-07-2009 at 06:21.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I have to comment that I am amazed at all the "advice" on this thread. IMO the only advice anyone should be offering (unless you are a physician AND have examined the patient) is visit a doctor.

it could be to risky, the question of WHAT IF would to big for me. and it may not matter that you are in great shape. anything can happen out there and you will be alone.
    as a woman, a hiker and trying and hoping to get pregnant soon i would not go on such a long trip alone.
    i wish you luck and hope you do well either way! may you have a happy healthy baby.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

First off, congratulations! I know it may seem your dream is now on hold, but that's okay. I waited 30 years for mine and my son ended up doing the trail with me as a teen. And when the baby gets older you can certainly do hikes with him or her.

But agree you should talk to a dr what you can and can't do. But I see no reason why you cant go out an enjoy day or weekend hikes. I hiked when I was nine months pregnant (day hike of course). Also backpacked for a weekend when I was newly pregnant and it was tough. I mainly stuck to day hikes.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Marta, as usual, is very wise.

Being pregnant is not the equivalent of contracting some awful disease. You can do pretty much everything and anything you could do before the pregnancy. You don't need to be coddled or placed in bed for the next nine months. Gesh, I was riding my bike daily right up until the week I gave birth! It's no big deal.

As for getting enough calories: a woman's body responds differently to long distance hiking than a man's body. She doesn't burn as many calories. Basically, she is built to carry babies to term even while toiling in the field during a famine. Which means she is also built to carry babies to term while long distance hiking.

Besides, even if you're not hiking, you won't be consuming as many calories as you might think during those first few months. Many women lose their appetites completely. It's the later months of pregnancy when the extra calories are needed most.

Things to think about, though: you won't have as much energy. You'll be tired a lot, and you may need to sleep more than usual. Chances are, you'll have to cut back on your planned mileage somewhat.

Morning sickness may also be an issue. Be sure to pay special attention to keeping hydrated. And of course, like other said, see the doctor, get prenatal vitamins, don't push yourself.

Other than that, I would think all that fresh air and exercise would be good for you and your baby!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++