WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Bashing Water Filters?

Since I have joined this forum I have heard a lot of bashing on filters (easy to cross contaminate, heavy, hassle to use, etc.) and I have heard a lot about not filtering or purifying at all. I have used a filter every time I go backpacking and have never been sick. Personally, I like filtering my water and don't understand all the bashing of filters. I don't see anyone sticking up for filters and everyone leaning towards purification or nothing at all (typically from ultralight backpackers).....Is there anyone on this forum who still uses filters?.....Is there anyone on this forum that isn't an ultralight backpacker?
    Transcend the Bull$hit

I support water filters! I love clean water with no wait, well worth the burden!

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    Since I have joined this forum I have heard a lot of bashing on filters (easy to cross contaminate, heavy, hassle to use, etc.) and I have heard a lot about not filtering or purifying at all. I have used a filter every time I go backpacking and have never been sick. Personally, I like filtering my water and don't understand all the bashing of filters. I don't see anyone sticking up for filters and everyone leaning towards purification or nothing at all (typically from ultralight backpackers).....Is there anyone on this forum who still uses filters?.....Is there anyone on this forum that isn't an ultralight backpacker?
    I use one and from what I could gather, so too do quite a few others. I'm not fond of extended chemical use, but Aqua-Mira has a proven track record. My latest filter is the Sawyer Squeeze and while it seems a bit fragile, it's stood up to quite a few trips already, albeit shorter ones. I think today's filters are better than ever, but unless they're light, they're tough to lug for miles on end (relative to a lighter option, anyway). Thru-hiking is a different beast than "normal" hiking or camping and every ounce counts in large amounts. Thus why most relay on chemicals, as they can be much, much lighter.

The opinions that you receive are from those taking the time to type you out a response. This does not necessarily reflect the general hiker population, in some instances, it is just a vocal minority.

I filter and I do not qualify as ultralight backpacker as my kit is a few pounds over. There are UL hikers who do treat typically it seems going with chemicals. A Sawyer inline filter is also another reasonably light solution.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Right here dude. While I've yet to attain Ultra Light statice, cutting weight for me is a medical necessity, and I hope to fall in the lower end of traditional 30# w/ food and water. Using a filter for me will be a bonus for not contracting anything that would harm a weakened immune system, (again medical necessity) and having Aqua Mira as a back up and or in addition too probably couldn't hurt either.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-22-2013 at 17:47. Reason: Katahdyn hiker pro/aqua mira

I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro. Sawyer Squeeze might have been better choice. I know the tablets are lighter, but I do not like putting chemicals in my body if I don't have too. I have had the Giardia infestation once and don't plan on it happening again. I would carry the filter even if the only option was a 10 lb one.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I filter in lower elevations where the risk is much higher for water borne illness. For small streams I use Aquamira. For springs I don't bother. For me it is about risk potential. At 50' elevation in NC I am 99% convinced the water is contaminated and about 1% concerned that water coming directly out of a spring is contaminated.

I mostly use the MSR Mini. Happily, too. I would hesitate to use it in freezing weather due to possible filter damage, but mostly melt snow in winter.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I use Aqua Mira or my old MSR filter; whichever strikes my fancy when packing. The problem with a filter is that it takes out all the bugs and leaf bits, depriving me of a good deal of protein and roughage.

one thing I like about filters is the ability to just suck water out of any little puddle. I usually drink it straight, camel up and don't carry much.

Journal Entries
    Images

tree nerd i have used & always will use filters. I use the katahdyn hiker pro & am very pleased with the performance of it. 2 hell with all the bashing on filters IGNORANCE IS BLISS

Another fan of the Katahdyn hiker pro. I prefer to drink my water as soon as its available (I drink a ton of water so im usually rationing my remaining water by the time I get to the source) and if there is a puddle, I am able to do so.

You guys are making me feel better about my choice by the post.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I mostly use the MSR Mini. Happily, too. I would hesitate to use it in freezing weather due to possible filter damage, but mostly melt snow in winter.
    Do you have problems getting your filter to work? This is the second MSR filter I've had and I don't know that if in the process of trying to make it idiot proof....they've built a better idiot.

Images

I use aqua-mira and don't consider myself an ultra-lighter. The reasons I don't like filters are: 1) They are too much work for me 2) due to the silty conditions of the streams in the Appalachians the filters clog too frequently and are expensive to replace 3) It's heavier than aqua-mira and takes up more space 4) the fewer things I have that can't break and don't require maintenance, the better 5) it's easier to find aqua-mira than whatever replacement filter you need for your filter.

I used filters before I thru-hiked and think they are just fine for short sections. But I'd never carry one on a thru, you need to make things as easy on yourself as possible.

I will say that there are occasionally water sources where I wish I had a filter but not enough of them to justify carrying a filter. I can just run the water through a bandana to filter out floaty things.

Basically I'm lazy and don't like to filter and don't want to have to worry about crap breaking and am cheap and don't want to spend a bunch of money on replacement filters.

Journal Entries

If I can get water as it comes out of the ground I don't bother to treat. I use this home made dipping cup with filter ( top of liter bottle with sport cap, faucet filter stuffed into top 0.6 oz.) to filter debris.Attachment 19905Attachment 19906 If I must treat I use the SteriPEN journey because its fast in my Gater bottle. And lastly, I use Aqua-Mira as back-up if I fill my Camelbak for later use.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

I actually enjoy the solo walk (usually hike with the wife) down (or up) to the spring. Then pumping the water thru the filter into our containers. And no, I am not an ultra-light hiker, although less weight is good. When it comes to comfort of sleeping & warmth I'll gladly put up with a bit of extra weight.

pur/katahdyn hiker pro
    i have never had a breakdown with my hiker pro, & have never been sick
    i started with a sweetwater 98'(not a fan)switched to a PUR 99' & have always enjoyed it since :-)

Images

A good filter is worth it's weight in TP several times over. I don't treat if I get it directly out of a spring, but do most other times. I have had seen several hikers over the years get giardia. It's not fun. On the AT you are mostly high up with little chance for contamination. But is that stream you drink out of from a beaver pond or a cattle field? Years ago Pittsfield, MA & Berlin, NH had giardia outbreaks in their public water system & they are close to the trail. Many have gambled & did fine. My luck sucks...my filter goes with me. Out west even more so. When you reach the only water source in 20 miles & there are cows in the pond drooling, pissing & dumping in it. I really came to love my filter.

Just not worth the risk not filtering. Some water sources in the smokies didn't pass my basic requirements for being untreated, and those were coming right out of the ground

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++