WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cohos trail

Journal Entries

Default Cohos trail

Any tips concerning useful guidebooks or maps?

Thanks in advance!

Everything you need to know and buy the guide book and maps is here : http://www.cohostrail.org/

I really should think about thru-hiking this trail as it is my back yard. I have of course done parts of it, it's just a real project to do it as a thru.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 02-24-2013 at 03:13.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by catch View Post
    Any tips concerning useful guidebooks or maps?

Thanks in advance!
    I have the map set and data book, brand new, that I will let you have for $10 includes postage
    I accept Paypal.

I hiked the Cohos NOBO this past summer and it was such a delightful surprise. I'll definitely be hiking it again, maybe even this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingus View Post
    I hiked the Cohos NOBO this past summer and it was such a delightful surprise. I'll definitely be hiking it again, maybe even this summer.
    Any challenges following the trail? I hear that that was problematic early on, but that it's getting better each year. I'm very intrigued by this, as I have not covered much ground in NH north of Mt. Cabot.

There was only one spot I got temporarily side-tracked and that was about 2.5 miles before the Percy Mountains, took a right up a 30 yard wide, mowed firebreak between the trees instead of taking a left. There were no arrow signs there. Other than that, didn't have a single detour the entire route. The maps and directions were pretty spot on. The biggest tip I could give you is that there are many more re-supply towns along the trail than the maps seem to suggest. They only list towns that are directly on the trail and I had very good luck finding towns with services the entire length. And once you get north of the Whites hitching gets alot easier.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I'd love to do this trail as Fall hike. Ah....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I'd love to do this trail as Fall hike. Ah....
    That would be the time to do it, towards the end of September. I may have to finally break down and do this as my fall hike this year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The Cohos is on my list after the AT (2014), and the JMT ('15).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Guthook reported on his hike of the Cohos trail in 2009 as part of hiking the New England Trail:
    http://www.guthookhikes.com/2009/11/...rough-102.html
    There are some adjoining hikes in Quebec that look interesting.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k2basecamp View Post
    I have the map set and data book, brand new, that I will let you have for $10 includes postage
    I accept Paypal.
    Do you mind my asking what year your materials are?

Journal Entries

I'm afraid someone beat me to k2basecamp's offer, but does anyone else have copies of the Cohos trail map and/or guidebook (the more recent the better) that they'd be willing to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by catch View Post
    I'm afraid someone beat me to k2basecamp's offer, but does anyone else have copies of the Cohos trail map and/or guidebook (the more recent the better) that they'd be willing to sell?
    Yes. ...........

If you have any questions about the trail, I'd suggest checking out "Friends of the Cohos Trail" on facebook. The trail maintainers are very active there, and spread lots of info about the trail and upcoming changes. In fact, there are so many changes to the trail since the last edition of the guidebook and map came out, that those two are probably almost useless at this point. They're supposed to be coming out with new maps and guides this year, I think. Check with the folks on facebook, and you'll get a lot of good info.

The Cohos Trail Association has been working on some new maps and materials. Not sure how soon they'll be out.

Hey all, new member here. Some things have come up and I'm scrambling to plan a vacation for a few days last week. The other plans fell through last minute. Most places are packed and with the stress I could use solitude, so I was looking at the Cohos Trail. I understand its best to get some guidebooks and maps, and have seen here the Friends of Cohos Trail FB group is a good resource. The materials were ordered and FB will be explored but I have less than a week. I'm looking for 2-3 nights out.

Does anyone have recommendations on such? And, this may be a leap, can I loop anything? It would be nice to not have to get a shuttle together and not have to backtrack. I'd also prefer to be away from the crowds. Thanks for any and all help!

I am not aware of any official loops on the Coos Trail. As an alternative you could do Grafton Loop trail over in Maine. It was built for backpackers. The stretch from Speck to Baldpate will be busy as it is the AT but the rest of the loop should be quieter as there are no official side trails to access it. There is parking at both spots where it crosses route 26. Plenty of campsites and water will not be an issue. There is a free map/trail guide available.

I have heard of folks planning doing the Kilkenny Ridge Trail (part of Coos Trail), then looping back via a side trail to York Pond road then bog dam loop to an old road/snowmachine route to connect up with the Pond of Safety area and then a 2 or 3 mile road walk back to the beginning but haven't seen any post hike reports

I wasn't sure if there were official loops, but I was hoping I might be able to find other trails to get me back. I'm not opposed to a few miles on the road. I'll look into both loops you mentioned. I was also considering taking two days and doing the Pemi Loop. But I'm sure there will be people. The other option was lots of day hikes.

As I side note, when plans first fell through I looked at Baxter but it was quite full. Instead I have a site in late September.

Also, feel free to suggest other loops/trips I can quickly plan for next week, 2-3 nights on trail, and preferably see very few people

Off-hand, I can't think of any loops in the remote areas of the Cohos trail. Once you get into the southernmost stretch, you are moving into the heart of the Whites - and there are lots of possibilities, but here the Cohos trail uses established White Mountain trails. Be sure to check for the trail updates at http://www.cohostrail.org/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++