WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Seeking advice on tents

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had some advice about shopping for 1 person tents for a thru-hike. I'm new to backpacking. Any suggestions on tent models/brands would be highly appreciated! I'm looking to spend no more than $200, hopefully quite a bit less. Also, are there any specs I should be particularly interested in? What's a good lightweight weight range, and is it important to have a freestanding tent? Thank you!

I like these open ended things. It seems like you have started thinking about specifics. There is no simple answer to this question. Everything is a trade-off. You need a lightweight tent but you also need to figure out what you really want because everything has weight ramifications: Do i need to manage insects, a bug net? How will I manage interior condensation? How many seasons will I be out in and what kind of weather? Will I be hiking with poles? How much interior room do I need? How much privacy? What about a hammock? Once you have these questions straight then I suggest you go to : http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/tents. This listing has over 600 tents to compare based on your previous answers.

BTW I bought a Lightheart Solo last year on sale for $199. Very pleased. You should also know that I have been living in tents for 55 years for up to 8 months per year in climates ranging form desert to the high arctic. I was a prospector and still am an avid canoist.

Good Luck!

Garlic
    Images

Some inexpensive and light hybrid tarptents are available at www.tarptent.com and other similar vendors. I've been using a Contrail for many seasons.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

It depends on how big you are and how claustrophobic you are, as well as how enclosed you want to be. The lightest way to go is with a tarp or a tarp-tent. If there is a floor, it is not connected to the fly, or it is loosely connected. Tarps are very configurable, offer a lot of flexibility, and are very light. The level of weather protection varies, largely with the method and quality of set-up. Tarps require some skill and expertise to use effectively. In general, tarps and tarp-tents are lighter than tents.

On the tent side, you have overgrown bivy sacks, like the Eureka Solitaire/Gossamer, collections of pointy triangles like the Sierra Designs Light Year 1, Kelty Dart, Eureka Spitfire, etc., and more conventional tents, like the Eureka Backcountry 1, the Kelty Gunnison 1.1, etc. My 3 categories are given in rough order of weight. If you aren't claustrophobic, are under 6'5", and don't need to sit up in your tent, the overgrown bivy sacks will work. They are light and compact (2.5 to 3 lbs), so you can use a smaller pack (decreasing base weight even more).

The other tent categories have weights from 3.5 lbs to 5 or so.

Freestanding tents tend to weigh more than others. Freestanding tents work in places where you can't sink stakes. The importance of this feature depends on how likely you will be to be camping in an area where you can't figure out a way to anchor the tent.

With your budget, you have a lot of options, so you should find something that suits you.

Journal Entries

I just got the zPack Heximed 1p with the 1+ floor, with stakes and strings and the bag (which I'm not certain I'm taking), it comes to 16.7oz. I have just set it up inside and feel it is my tent for this year, and is also my luxury item in terms of light weight luxury. Something to be aware of cuban fiber is translucent so semi see through, I just never had such a tent so it will be a bit of adjustment I would guess and how will bright moon lit nights effect sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by poopsy View Post
    Once you have these questions straight then I suggest you go to : http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/tents. This listing has over 600 tents to compare based on your previous answers.
    Awesome link. Thanks. Just when I think I know what I want to upgrade to, I find something that may be more suitable. LOL.

Images

Tarptent Contrail

Hubba one person is my vote for an all round hiking tent.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Journal Entries

I don't know if it is still made, but Six Moons Wild Oasis worked great for me on a long section hike. 11.5 oz, including six stakes....and seam sealed. Floor less, uses hiking pole.

Definitely explore:

http://www.tarptent.com/
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/
    http://www.lightheartgear.com/
    http://www.zpacks.com/

The first two have options within your stated budget.

Tarptent Notch.

as an option you can remove the floor/net, and just use it as a tarp.

You said no more than 200$.

You also said "new to backpacking".

I would forget open tarps for now since the learning curve for the setup is a little difficult. I would also forget UL somewhat fragile tents with complicated maintenance like seam sealing. For now. You have to start like everybody did and get a less expensive but tought well made no frills tent, even if it mean it will be a little heavier. Some are excellent shelters with great reviews, weight around 2.5-3 lbs (not UL but still very manageable). I carried one for years. Some of these tents are : Eureka Spitfire (120$) (great reviews), Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1 (130$) (looks perfect), NorthFace Mica 1 (160$) (great free standing and sturdy). Rei Chrysalis (? Read good reviews but dont know this one).

Basic line : You should be on the trails learning and getting experience with good, tought, sturdy material. Light. NOT lightest. Not now.
    once I dug an early grave, to find a better land
    she just smiled and laughed at me, and took her rules back again

Images

Default Tarptent-Tarp Options

Here are some pics-I use the Tarp Tent Contrail (25 oz.) as my go-to shelter for long distance -I use the Wild Oasis Tarp (15 oz.) for shorter hikes. Treating with silicone spray really helps performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Btw, my tent is a contrail. I definitely wouldnt lend it to a beginner.

And its the most simple of em all.

UL is a process. You will read people here talking about tent pegs for hours. You should be on the trails. Not the forums. Gaining experience. Thats what you need.

I would concur that properly pitching a tarp under varyious circumstances requires some good skills, but I would not discourage the OP from looking at tarptents. Operating them is not rocket science, nor is seam-sealing. I would encourage some experimentation in the back yard in the rain before heading out to the backcountry.

Free standing tents have the advantage that you can pick them up and move them if you don't like the spot you set up on. That can make finding just the right spot to lay down easier. They also have an advantage on the tent platforms common in New Hampshire. You do have to remember to stake them down if it is windy, or they can blow away if there is nothing inside to hold them down. The disadvantage is there is a weight penalty and there is always a chance you might loose or break a pole.

Personally, since I use trekking poles, I use tents which use the poles as the support. This saves some weight and reduces the number of things I need to keep track of. I recently bought a Six Moon Design Skyscape Trekker. I can't wait to try it out on the trail. I really like the A frame design as it gives pleanty of head room to sit up and elbow room to change shirts. However, it is $25 more than what you want to spend.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

@jeffmeh

Not even one single season of learning and practice ? Before stepping in with a fragile silnylon condensation inclined TT ?

You know what ? Im starting to think hammock would be a better place to start than UL tents.

Images

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...ds=alps+zephyr

1st "real" backpacking tent I had - used it for several week long section hikes with the Scout Troop. Went back to this from a hammock in the cold, blowing rain on the AT. Little less than 4 pounds - NOT UL, but very good, inexpensive (not cheap) tent. Bought a second one, just for a back-up at the time. Free-standing, pick it up to move or shake out in the morning.

Also have an ALPS Mystique - http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...s+mystique+1.0

Not as much room as my Zephyr, though.

Went to a Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 for realsies.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...st-Impressions

Good luck. Learn from this web-site and hammock forums, it that's the way you decide to go.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalled View Post
    @jeffmeh

Not even one single season of learning and practice ? Before stepping in with a fragile silnylon condensation inclined TT ?

You know what ? Im starting to think hammock would be a better place to start than UL tents.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...nt-Sublite-Sil

Two ships in the night, happens all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...nt-Sublite-Sil

Two ships in the night, happens all the time!
    Hope 1 of them has radar.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++