WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Aren't Crocs a little bit heavy? I've got some cheap adidas sandals that are molded as one piece and extremely light. The only downside is that they don't strap by themselves onto my backpack.
    Crocs are great, nothing lighter, they indestructible and you can eat em when starving.

I carry them. Very handy in Maine.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I would 80 percent of people have crocs.

They are great for camp, good for fording streams and awesome to have in town.

Crocs are the most ideal hiking shoe for the AT. After 1500 miles in various shoes, we resorted to hiking in our Crocs out of necessity. It was amazing to come to the realization that we had been hiking with the most perfect hiking shoe of all time strapped to our backs while our feet were going through hell. The Sourpatch Kid and I thru-hiked in 2012 in 3 months and 3 weeks, and the Crocs saved our hike and made it all possible (Injinji toe socks, then performance wool socks, then Crocs. Aided, of course, by trekking poles.)

It's natural to think that you have to hike in "hiking boots", because that is what the advertisements and shoe stores tell you. Traditional hiking boots are entirely too heavy for long-distance trekking, and the hard rubber and tight laces restrict the feet's movement and slowly pounds them down. As with most topics of long-distance hiking, the lighter and simpler, the better.

- lightest shoe you can find
    - very grippy rubber
    - waterproof, dries quickly
    - soft cushy rubber is the most comfortable surface you can walk on
    - loose design allows the foot and the toes to spread and move for the best balance and traction

Crocs might not be for everybody. If you are walking 10 miles per day with 50 pounds on your back, they may not be ideal. But if you are light, quick, minimalist, and want to have some very happy and healthy feet, take the Crocs off of your back and try hiking in them for a few miles, you might never go back.

If it is really warm out and I plan to do some swimming or what not I will take them. Otherwise, no extra footwear for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

no croc's for me
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

P7050035.jpg.............:d

Quote Originally Posted by wise old owl View Post
    no croc's for me

Love my crocs. A bit bulky attached to the outside of your pack but are great to slip into at the end of a long day hiking...and that's a fact. Life is good on the trail. swamp dawg

Images

Here'sy biggest complaint with crocs, though I still carry them. I find that my toes, especially under the nails get absolutely filthy from the dust and dirt they seem to stir (almost scoop) up when walking around camp.

With nothing much else to do on a Saturday I decide to go into my smugmug keywords and find some of my glorious Croc fotogs.

They come in handy if you're backpacking along a creek trail in the winter and must keep your boots dry. (Brookshire Creek trail, TN).

They make excellent creek crossing shoes (along with excellent camp shoes). (Slickrock Creek, 12 crossings, NC).

The old Terraplane with the old blue Crocs. (South Fork Creek Citico wilderness TN).

Newer red Crocs with the Mystery Ranch pack. (Rock Quarry, BMT TN).

Hemp Top trail at Penitentiary Branch jct in Cohutta wilderness, Georgia.

I just pulled this crossing over Slickrock Creek; now I'm sitting down to watch 3 other backpackers do the deed.

South of Partnership Shelter on the AT in Virginia.

I was doing a winter trip in the Snowbird backcountry with its 12 or 15 creek crossings and Little Mitten got me a new pair for Christmas (it's a cold January trip) and the dang things were too small and killing my feet. I thought I had developing frost bite from the cold creek crossings cuz my toes hurt like heck. So I got the old penknife and cut out the toe ends to relieve pressure. Voila!

I love wearing my Crocs all the time here in FL but I was hoping to find something as versatile but much lighter weight to take on my thru-hike next year. So far haven't found a good replacement, but I'm open to suggestions. Probably won't get them on this thread though, lol.

Journal Entries

I swore I'd never get Crocs (or knock off crocs), but I've heard too many good things from hikers. Might have to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by MelNino View Post
    I swore I'd never get Crocs (or knock off crocs), but I've heard too many good things from hikers. Might have to check them out.
    They are near perfect except for the blasted rivets which often pull out and you're left with a hanging strap and a lost rivet. And the newer rivets are almost impossible to separate w/o destroying.

Images

Tipi, in the almost year that I have been on white blaze, between your stories of birthing Turtle heads in the snowy backcountry in the middle of the night as well, carrying 90 lbs to get there and then lounging campside in pink crocs over wool long Johns, im afraid to admit that I may be developing a man crush.

Please don't tell "gizzybear" !

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Tipi, loved the pics! But that first one with no socks and in the snow??? Brrrrr........

Crocs are too heavy and too bulky for me, they are nice in camp though.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling teacher View Post
    Crocs are great, nothing lighter, they indestructible and you can eat em when starving.
    I've tried a lot of different camp shoe, including Crocs, and still am searching for Mr. Right. The attached photo is where I'm at for the moment. I coated these with silicon seam seal to keep them dry in wet grass.

2013_07130001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly58 View Post
    I love wearing my Crocs all the time here in FL but I was hoping to find something as versatile but much lighter weight to take on my thru-hike next year. So far haven't found a good replacement, but I'm open to suggestions. Probably won't get them on this thread though, lol.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-M...ivo+ultra+pure There a quite a few threads mentioning them here on Whiteblaze.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Tipi, in the almost year that I have been on white blaze, between your stories of birthing Turtle heads in the snowy backcountry in the middle of the night as well, carrying 90 lbs to get there and then lounging campside in pink crocs over wool long Johns, im afraid to admit that I may be developing a man crush.

Please don't tell "gizzybear" !

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
    I know where you're coming from. Man Crushes are common and so feel free to use any of the below fotogs for a screensaver.

What better picture of me than in a pretty winter scene??

Or you can use this one showing the all-important Power Clenchings---with fellow nylon pumper Patman.

Or this one showing a rare shot of the last mountain man of the Tennessee hills, Dr. Colon Flaccid, who lives out permanently and never comes in.

Or this important Gear Review taken at the Redneck REI. It's a great pack, folks. And you can't beat the price or the warranty.

The joy of going ultraheavy. Won't you join me??

And finally, a PSA safety reminder about the dangers of turtlenecks.

Jeffmeh, I've been keeping an eye on those Vivos. They are pretty pricey tho. Plus I'm not sure how slip-on they are. Like someone above said, Crocs are so easy to slip on out of my hammock to make a midnight walk for potty or for creeks. They are just so easy. Still looking for the perfect thing. Also agreed, feet get grossly dirty with them with no socks. But I already have multiple pairs of Crocs in lots of styles and colors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++