WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How often do you trip and fall

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    I know some hikers that seem to fall daily. I think pack balance and weight has a lot to do with it.
    I fall just as often with a light day pack. Some of us are just natural klutzes.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I fell six times on my thru-hike: 3 times in one day in Virginia (the day I hiked into Pearisburg in a drenching downpour), 2 times in one day in New Jersey, and once in Maine.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Default How often do you trip and fall?

Last weekend going for trash on back side of biggest dune in park. Got trash, let's just say involuntary glissading. Trekking poles did not help then. Had to break down and get the crampons out or I would have hurt myself. Should have already had them on. Otherwise, poles let me trip but not fall a lot!

Images

You guys do realize that who ever claims the most number of falls on this thread is going to be stuck with the name "Faceplant" for the rest of their hiking career.

Oh Hey... this thread makes me happy!! I'm seeing lots of friends... Hey everyone

When I fall- I faceplant. It's terrible. Poles help me not do that. I agree with snifur about pack balance and weight, that helps me from going down 2.

Images

I'm averaging about three times a year for the last few years. I'd average one a year, but I had an embarrassing series of falls while trying to chase cows in 2011.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    About as often as Jennifer Lawrence.
    She goes down a lot more often than once a month in Silver Linings Playbook.

Anyway. On the AT in 2011, I only had two really bad falls. One was on some slippery rock in the Whites. The other was on the front steps of the museum next to the Partnership Shelter. Seriously hurt my thru-hiker pride when I couldn't navigate four concrete steps in normal civilization.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    She goes down a lot more often than once a month in Silver Linings Playbook.

Anyway. On the AT in 2011, I only had two really bad falls. One was on some slippery rock in the Whites. The other was on the front steps of the museum next to the Partnership Shelter. Seriously hurt my thru-hiker pride when I couldn't navigate four concrete steps in normal civilization.
    I fell while climbing up the concrete steps from the parking lot on Roan Mtn, headed back to the trail. Pretty much face plant falling up because I was looking at my guide at the time. Of course there were multiple witnesses, people who drove up there with a baby and must have wondered how on earth I thought I would manage to hike the AT.

I fell a lot more times on my thruhike. I wrote them all down in my blog, but haven't counted up the numbers yet. The worst was when I rolled my ankle on a rock under fallen leaves and fell onto the opposite knee, crunching it onto a rock. I had more spectacular falls, but that one actually injured me and hurt for months.

I think I am tripping now.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by FatHead64 View Post
    Last weekend going for trash on back side of biggest dune in park. Got trash, let's just say involuntary glissading. Trekking poles did not help then. Had to break down and get the crampons out or I would have hurt myself. Should have already had them on. Otherwise, poles let me trip but not fall a lot!
    Would that be in Warren Dunes Park? I took an unplanned ride down the dunes there myself once...talk about road rash!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I think I am tripping now.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

I fall only when I am hiking west to east or east to west. Sobo or nobo I don't trip or fall , why? Just because I can. Go figure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Would that be in Warren Dunes Park? I took an unplanned ride down the dunes there myself once...talk about road rash!
    Real close - Grand Mere - maybe 10 miles North. Maybe 2 from my house.

On a weeklong section hike I'm good for one painful fall. SOBO down Mahoosic Arm is another story.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

I'm good for at least one on each section hike. The last one was right before the side trail to the Wintturi shelter in VT. Descending in the dark with my headlamp over wet rocks... BAM! I waited a few seconds for the pain and feeling of blood running down my shin but nothing happened. A quick inspection of my leg reminded me that I was wearing a knee brace on that leg and it took all of the impact.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

Images

Real close - Grand Mere - maybe 10 miles North. Maybe 2 from my house.
    This is the front side of the dune a few weeks ago - I was slip-slidin' on the back side - pretty much just as steep, but with briars and trees at the bottom. Note the sledders at the bottom.

IMG_0494.jpg

Images

Fell four times from Springer to Davenport Gap. Each time I was looking at something other than the trail ahead or where my feet were . I'm a slow learner. Worst was a fall at Yellow Creek / Gap? just before Fontana. Fell down the four or five log steps into a pool of rock and mud. Face down. Had to limp into Fontana and stay two nights till the swelling went down. I was able to score an 800 mg tylenol from a hiker going the other way in exchange for one Hershey bar. Pain gone. New rule, if your eyes aren't watching the trail, you feet ought not be moving.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

This is the front side of the dune a few weeks ago - I was slip-slidin' on the back side - pretty much just as steep, but with briars and trees at the bottom. Note the sledders at the bottom.

IMG_0494.jpg
    Nice pic FH64...beautiful!! Looks Cold!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Fell four times from Springer to Davenport Gap. Each time I was looking at something other than the trail ahead or where my feet were . I'm a slow learner. Worst was a fall at Yellow Creek / Gap? just before Fontana. Fell down the four or five log steps into a pool of rock and mud. Face down. Had to limp into Fontana and stay two nights till the swelling went down. I was able to score an 800 mg tylenol from a hiker going the other way in exchange for one Hershey bar. Pain gone. New rule, if your eyes aren't watching the trail, you feet ought not be moving.
    I absolutely agree. Mine were often because I was talking with somebody on "easy" trail and not paying as good of attention to the trail as I should have been. I learned on my thru to stop walking if I wanted to look around.

Well it's great to know I won't be alone or standout too much when i do my thru next year. Though most of my falls are just trying to get my pants on in the morning. So if you see someoone walking the trail with no pants just know I had a rough morning

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++