WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll wear gaiters in snow or through wet grassy fields, but other than that I don't find them useful. I don't bring them for my Fall section hikes in New England.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Bro thats something you need to figure out for your self.

You may be okay with mid-tops like you'll be wearing. I didn't start with gaiters, but I was also wearing pants. Once I switched to hiking in board-shorts, my trail runners were overrun by trail junk. Sticks, dirt, pebbles, whatever! I can't stand having to stop and get stuff out of my shoes. Most of the people I saw with gaiters were using the dirty girl gaiters and had good things to say about them. I picked some up somewhere in NH...Mountain Hardware UL gaiters or something. If you get those, I recommend super-gluing the velcro to your shoes. When you change shoes, just rip the velcro patch off and re-super glue it to the new shoes. Those gaiters made it from NH to GA, the only thing that happened was the metal piece on the zipper broke, so I made a little fishing line hook to zip/unzip 'em.

Runfunky.com gaitors are a lot better than dirty girl. I've used both for years.
    No need to buy them at REI; you are not mountaineering. Hiking is more like trail running, so use that gear.

Journal Entries
    Images

no need for the AT.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Yes, I like gaiters. As I speak with and learn from really experienced hikers, I re-think my gear, etc.

Thru hiker Trek wears them, that is when I started..........they keep my laces tied, stuff out of my socks and low top hiking shoes.

Socks definitely stay cleaner.

Journal Entries

I have thought about the use of these too. I looked at the Dirty Girls but they velcro to the back of your shoe?? How does this hold up in inclement weather day in and day out? Thanks

Journal Entries

My son and I both use dirty girls as well, sometimes. Neither of us have have a good flat area on back of shoe for velcro to stick, have some ridges, etc. So have had problems keeping velcro on. Ive replaced several times, tried superglue, goop, etc. . Good thing is, generally they will stay put without it if it comes loose . More of a problem replacing with the wrong velcro, too small of hooks, that fill up with debris where it wont hold the velcro loops.

Others report no problems. With a good surface, cleaned with alcohol first, and let bond for 24hr before using. Just all depends I guess.

Someone on trail asked me where I got them once, and I answered dirtygirls.com. I really meant dirtygirlgaiters.com .
    Im sure they got something else if they went to the site I said.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Someone on trail asked me where I got them once, and I answered dirtygirls.com. I really meant dirtygirlgaiters.com .I m sure they got something else if they went to the site I said.
    I imagine more than one family argument has started based on the "dirty girl" line on the credit card statement.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingirl View Post
    I have thought about the use of these too. I looked at the Dirty Girls but they velcro to the back of your shoe?? How does this hold up in inclement weather day in and day out? Thanks
    The velcro works perfectly for me. The back of my shoes are not smooth either, so I use a 1.5 inch strip and hold it firmly in place for a minute or so before then letting it dry for 24 hours before using it. It has held for over a year and in every imaginable condition. This system is far better than the strap under the shoe. You won't be disappointed.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

OR shorty gaiters keep lots of small gravel and rocks out of my med. height boots. Yep, I use them even in the heat of summer.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    The only time I wear them is in deep snow, and I was always glad I did. Kept my pant legs drier and prevented snow from falling down into my boot.
    We will be doing a section from Hot Springs to Davenport Gap next week. Supposed to be snowing a few inches tonight and tomorrow in the mountains. Maybe it will still be there when we go through. I haven't had much experience hiking in significant snow, and I've never used gaiters. Would the Dirty Girl Gaiters be effective in 2-foot drifts? Or do we need to look at getting something else?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have the same boots, and bought the same gaiters. I haven't used them yet, but my plan is that they're to provide some tick protection once treated with permetherin (all on the advice of the guy at REI). I think they'll be even more beneficial to my grandson who'll be wearing low lightweights.

Journal Entries

I doubt it. Water finds a way. If you are that afraid of wet feet the only absolutely safe option I have found is high cut water proof boots. I rarely use gaiters, so take this with a grain of salt. Others swear by them in snow from
    Keeping chunks of snow backfilling your boot. I doubt there will be instance of that where you are hiking except in a few short examples. I was just in that area last week hiking and I wore regular mid keens and shorts and was fine. There was snow, but not a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    We will be doing a section from Hot Springs to Davenport Gap next week. Supposed to be snowing a few inches tonight and tomorrow in the mountains. Maybe it will still be there when we go through. I haven't had much experience hiking in significant snow, and I've never used gaiters. Would the Dirty Girl Gaiters be effective in 2-foot drifts? Or do we need to look at getting something else?

Unless your hikers are gortex, your feet are gonna get wet...gaiters aren't gonna matter at that point. I was climbing out of Pearisburg after Sandy hit and there were some drifts that were a good 2ft (more in some places) deep. One of the most uncomfortable days on the trail. Only way to keep dry at that point is high boots that are gortex. If you're wearing pants, the gaiters won't do much for you anyways. In response to the velcro attachment with the Dirty Girl gaiters, just krazy glue the velcro to the back of the shoe (preferably when the shoe is clean). Take your time and do it right. Put a fair amount of goop on there and hold it tight until it dries. I did this and had no problems with the velcro not staying on.

Received my dirty girl olive green gaiters in just 2 days after ordering. Am very impressed with both their lightness and quality of construction.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, ankle gaiters.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++