WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Stir Fry

Amen I could outfit a small boyscott troup.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

I carry an external frame Kelty Trekker 3950. It comes in at at about 5 pounds. And on my last trip my total starting pack weight with 4 days of food and 2 quarts of water was 28 pounds
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Pack: Dana Designs ArcFlex Terraplane
    Weight: Don't know. Don't care.
    The Terraplane works for me.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wayne
    The whole story...Jumping in the Wayback Machine...

Back in the Dark Ages. After a couple of failed attempts with less than perfect frame+bag combinations, I stumbled upon the Jensen Backpack from Rivendell Mountain Works in Victor, Idaho. A frameless design and, unless somebody can prove otherwise, the first Ultralight Backpack capable of carrying 40 pounds or more. I still have this pack. The more I read about the AT, I might just use it on the AT. I was also amazed to learn that the packs are still being produced. Who knew? My only regret was not buying the Large (Giant today) version originally. I do have the external pockets which add considerable volume and storage versatility. Weight is probably under 3 pounds, I know-The Horror of such a heavy pack , with the pockets.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.co.../jensen-packs/

2012-Jensen.jpg

The third backpack in my inventory is a panel loading Osprey Zephyr from the mid-90s. I originally used this pack as carry on luggage when I was commuting between New Orleans Chevron's Tengiz facility in Kazakhstan. More recently I have used the Zephyr to haul a ton of Linhof 4x5 camera, 3 lenses, film holders, etc., etc. No idea of weight, definitely in between the Jensen and the Terraplane. Educated guess: 4 pounds. (+ or -). Capacity: 3,000-3,500 cu. in., + or -. I am also giving this pack serious consideration for the AT.

There you have have it. 3 very different load carrying solutions. So many packs. So little time.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    After reading many many reviews and much forum cross referencing and input...and trying them on for fit....I found it was a close call between the VC 60 and the Osprey Exos....I settled on the Exos 46, more features and better price to weight ratio for my needs....couldn't tell you a thing about performance...it works really well in the packaging! My base weight will be around 12-13lbs depending on which camera I end up taking....
    I win! Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaidment View Post
    I win! Sweet.
    Okay... grabbing the e-brake and commencing serious thread drift.

What did you win?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Today I use a 9-year old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone with Top Lid, weighing in at 48 oz (3 lbs), to carry 25-27 pounds for Spring/Fall section hikes with 3-4 days of food & water.
    The Kelty Tioga I used for my late 70's hikes typically came to 40 pounds, and the Dana Designs Terraplane X I replaced it with in 2000 (the frame broke after sitting in the garage for decades) was a 7.5-lb behemoth that easily could lug 45 pounds or more.
    I'm looking at the ULA Ohm 2.0, zPacks Arc Blast, HMG Windrider, Granite Gear Crown, and Gossamer Gear Gorilla to get my total Spring/Fall carry weight down below 25 pounds with full supplies.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Eberlestock V69 Destroyer. 7lbs 2oz.

After 40 years of this stuff I have a lot of equipment to choose from but for solo hiking I use the SMD Swift (15 oz), a Gatewood cape (11 oz), TYVEK ground sheet (7.5 oz), and a down bag (REI Mohave, 46 oz). That's 79.5 oz for the big 3. A little under 5 lbs. I did 475 miles of Virginia in 26 days in 2011 with this outfit.

With my wife I carry a bigger tarp tent (Rainbow 42 oz), which generally calls for a bigger pack (SMD Starlight; 24 oz); 7.5 lb base weight for big 3.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

ULA CDT - weighs under a lb. trimmed and washes with the rest of my laundry in town. Love the simple dyneema construction, and the fantastic customer service is what keeps me coming back

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus....22 oz

Another vote for the GG crown 60 here. It's a key reason my base weight w/o food and water runs around 18lbs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wicca witch View Post
    Deuter 65+10 Internal frame-3lbs. 65-70 lbs. after gear & food. I am very comfortable with this pack,have no problems hiking up or down mts.
    I have this pack, and I really like it that it is both top and front loading, with a separate sleeping bag compartment. I didn't think it was only 3 lbs though, so I went to the website. Deuter says it weighs 7 lbs! When we bought it, I thought it was just over 6.... Doesn't matter, I like it, and I'll keep using it.

I have the Aether 60, had it loaded up to 45lbs total to try it out and it works for me. I won't have quite that much on my thru hike, but it's nice to know I could without it being unbearable if I end up carrying more food/water on certain sections. It's my only backpacking pack right now, but I plan to add a lighter pack eventually for smaller loads...ULA probably. I have a few tactical packs, heaviest being my Terminator F4 at almost 10lbs. I wouldn't want to hike long distances with it, but it serves it's purpose for weekend shooting courses. The Aether was my middle ground, I wanted durability and something kind of mid range in size with the ability to hold fairly substantial weight without being uncomfortable...for that I kept going back to the Aether and finally bought it. Plus, it looks good in Tundra green...I just despise bright and flashy gear.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++