WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Because sometimes you need crampons.

What are some good, lightweight but solid crampons? I am out for the next few months and I'd love to bag some peaks, nothing too crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations for solid crampons that aren't relegated to a few miles before falling apart? I've heard the microspikes are good but that they don't really last.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinand the bull View Post
    What are some good, lightweight but solid crampons? I am out for the next few months and I'd love to bag some peaks, nothing too crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations for solid crampons that aren't relegated to a few miles before falling apart? I've heard the microspikes are good but that they don't really last.
    What kind of peaks are we talking about? Local foot hills trails or more technical climbing?

Though meant for trail running, this article gives a great overview for traction devices for lighter footwear. The only review missing is for in-step crampons. In-step crampons are a bit impractical for trailrunning and/or for some lighter footwear. However, if you use traditional boots, the in-step crampons have proven to be a good option for hikers in icy, but non-technical, conditions.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-28-2013 at 01:41.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    What kind of peaks are we talking about? Local foot hills trails or more technical climbing?

Though meant for trail running, this article gives a great overview for traction devices for lighter footwear. The only review missing is for in-step crampons. In-step crampons are a bit impractical for trailrunning and/or for some lighter footwear. However, if you use traditional boots, the in-step crampons have proven to be a good option for hikers in icy, but non-technical, conditions.
    semi technical un roped climbing, nothing too gnarly but more than a hike up a snow covered trail. Some things in the Sierras and possible S. America. I'm not a seasoned alpineist so again, were talking relativity benign routes.

Images

Microspikes aren't crampons.

If you get Kathoola KTS crampons, or something similar, make sure you adjust and use them properly. I can't emphasize the latter strongly enough.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Sounds like the in-step may be good for you.

Get them, and try going up Fern Canyon here in Boulder. A very good test. It is a luge run in winter.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

great article, thank's a lot. Sounds like the Microspikes will work out after all.

I meant the Kahtoola Crampons, not the Microspikes. Great, thanks again.

Images

Default Because sometimes you need crampons.

It sounds like you mean tarsal 6 point crampons and not full alpine 10 points. Here with all the steep dunes and snow mixed in, having your foot stay where planted can be an issue. I like my Hillsound Cyprus 6. Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Sounds like the in-step may be good for you.

Get them, and try going up Fern Canyon here in Boulder. A very good test. It is a luge run in winter.
    i found in-steps useless going up or down. climbing down into the NOC in snow and ice the in-step had to hit each rock. not the front or heal of shoe, but in the smokies they were a God sent

i use icespikes now.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Kahtoola Flight Boots are great if you can find a pair in your size.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

It sounds like you might need real crampons. More important, you need more knowledge. Do these climbs with experienced climbers and go with the equipment they recommend.

Kahtoola microspikes can roll off your feet on steep terrain. They help a lot walking on ice/packed snow, but have limits. Once ice gets too hard or steep, you need crampons. In New England, microspikes (or snowshoes) are the most common traction, but once conditions get too severe people switch to real crampons or turn around. It's a lot easier to get into dangerous terrain in Colo. than in New England, so be careful.

So I may be in patagonia, and I'd like to mess around on some of the smaller peaks. I think the light weight Kahtoola Aluminum Crampons may be the ticket.

Journal Entries

At first I thought the title said that sometimes you need something else, rhymes with crampons.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    At first I thought the title said that sometimes you need something else, rhymes with crampons.
    You throw that in with the similarity to cramps, as well - it can be mistaken a number of ways. My coworkers still think I am nuts when I talk about crampons. My daughters won't even let me talk about them in public.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I am posting this as both a suggestion and a question for the more experienced folks; Based my extremely limited experience with crampons, it seems that any time that crampons are needed it is also a good idea to have an ice axe with you and to know how to use it to self arrest in the event that you fall down an icy slope. Just a thought.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

If you think you need Crampons I hope you also have a Traverse Axe...you'll need it for self arrest in case you do slip and slide down.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I am posting this as both a suggestion and a question for the more experienced folks; Based my extremely limited experience with crampons, it seems that any time that crampons are needed it is also a good idea to have an ice axe with you and to know how to use it to self arrest in the event that you fall down an icy slope. Just a thought.
    OOPS! Never mind its all ready been stated
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

definitely, I'm very new to alpine but I couldn't agree more. I'm not going to bite off something I can't chew if there's a climb way over my head, I'll sit it out.

Sarcasm the Elf, I'm in Ct right now, any solid hikes you can think of?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinand the bull View Post

Sarcasm the Elf, I'm in Ct right now, any solid hikes you can think of?
    What part of the state are you in?

For day hiking, the first thing tht comes to mind is Sleeping Giant park in Hamden, there are a huge number of trails in it with lots of options, the view from the old stone firetower on top are great.

http://www.sgpa.org/
    Sleeping giant trail map: http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file...W-Map-2012.pdf

If you're looking for a 2-3 day trip, several of us did the A.T./Mohawk trail loop in January and it was a blast, we started a thread when we were planning it that had the details:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...wk-loop-advice
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Serious?

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=450000...earch=Crampons

GOT IT COVERED!

What inspires you?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++