WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Black flies

Default Black flies

The sections i am hiking this year include Duncannon Pa to Bennington Vermont and all of Maine.
    I am wanting to avoid the worst of bugs, so when are black flies the worst and when are they cleared out in these sections? How about mosquitos too? I like information from hikers who have the direct experience. Thank to you all.
    Katie/Painted Lady

To remember the black fly season in Maine, just remember your parents. They run about from Mother's Day to Father's Day (maybe a couple weeks later).
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 03-01-2013 at 02:42. Reason: Spelled "they" as "then"
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    To remember the black fly season in Maine, just remember your parents. Then run about from Mother's Day to Father's Day (maybe a couple weeks later).
    Oooh, I like that BB...good way to remember.

I've heard the black flies love mother's (day) and hate father's (day), but did see them in MA over 4th of July week last year. I'm doing NH in July, and Maine in Aug/Sep, hoping to miss most of them.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

I have been up in the woods of Maine in mid June and gotten feasted on by black flies. Most folks stay away from Baxter until early July. In the whites they are usually gone by early June although some years they just move up the mountains so they arent bad down owo but can be bad up on the ridges.

When I hiked all of Maine as a section hike from mid-August to mid-September, there were virtually no mosquitoes. I was pleasantly surprised.

Black flies are at their worst in the spring, which is usually June in New England. However, they are around all summer, just not as bad. If they start to get annoying in the afternoon, its usually a good sign a thunderstorm is comming. Massachutes is known for its swarms of mosquitoes, which are also at their peak in the spring. Locals stay out of woods around here until after July 4th.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    Since we are posting videos, I will post the one I always post when this subject comes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAd_JIFzceo
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

For me the Mosquitoes were far worse in June, and then the rains came...and although wet there were no bugs!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Last year there were black flies here in n. central Mass. all summer and the mosquitoes were not bad; normally it's the opposite. Black flies are usually at their worst in June in northern New England and May/June in southern New England. Usually black flies are worse further north (i.e., VT, NH, ME). Mosquitoes can be bad all summer here.

Bring a headnet, DEET, and a tent. Treat your clothes with permethrin and be prepared to wear long sleeves and pants (tucked into your socks for ticks/Lyme). Check yourself for tiny deer ticks every night.

Don't you hate the feeling when you accidentally inhale a black fly? Who would have thought a tiny little fly could almost make me empty my stomach contents! Gag gag gag!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Anyone have any good recommendations for a headnet to keep the Blackflies out?

Images

http://www.petersheadnets.com/
    I can't stand most head nets, but I can tolerate peter's headnets -- highly recommended. You can find cheaper ones and if you don't mind wearing them, they all work. They are made with tulle (bridal veil material) that is easier to see through and breathes better, and is not at all easy to sew. The holes are larger than no-seeum; it works on mosquitoes and black flies, but I'm not sure about smaller gnats/noseeums.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    Lol,cool song.

Journal Entries

Mosquitos are not too much a bother . Black flies make me insane. Impossible to enjoy a hike with those feasting on you. I would rather hike northern New England in January than in black fly season. They say there is a second hatching in in late summer but I have not had a problem in August September area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    For me the Mosquitoes were far worse in June, and then the rains came...and although wet there were no bugs!

Journal Entries
    Images

In Mass usually the worst time is mid May. Last year however was not bad at all.

Check out Niacin ... 50 mg a day two weeks before you hike and every day of your hike.

OR garlic.

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Don't you hate the feeling when you accidentally inhale a black fly? Who would have thought a tiny little fly could almost make me empty my stomach contents! Gag gag gag!
    Reading your post almost gave me the heaves!

I wish the incidental inhalation of the little monsters was totally preventable. A headnet helps but is incredibly uncomfortable on a hot day. It might as well be made from a plastic bag.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Was out memorial weekend and got chewed up pretty good. Luckily with a high snowfall winter, the bugs wont be as bad as the last 2 spring and summers.

++ New Posts ++