WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stumbling Thru: Hike Your Own Hike (A New Novel about the AT)

Hey all! I wanted to give a shout-out for my buddy A. Digger Stolz's first novel, which just so happens to be all about a thru-hike of the AT. Digger thru'd in '99 (trail name = Jiffy) and hiked from Springer to Bland, VA with me in '11 (we renamed him Lt. Dan) while doing research for the book.

This is a novel, thus fiction, but the stories and characters ring very true for me. The writing is top notch.

He probably didn't want to write non-fiction since we all hiked circles around him. Check it out if ya want!

http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Thru.../dp/0615763588

-Frizzle

Thanks for the suggestion! I just bought it for Kindle - if it's good, I'll post about it!

Thanks for the lead

Read Stumbling Thru and loved it! Highly recommend- Five Stars!!

Images

Thanks! Right now it's $3.99 on the Kindle.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Just finished the book! Great read! Brought me back to the trail and reminded me of why I hiked (and why I continued hiking.) The story follows multiple groups of hikers from Amicalola Falls to Damascus. Give it a read! It is a great introduction for those who haven't hiked and a great "flashback inducer" for those who have.

This one reminded me of way back when I hiked. Nice to read AT fiction instead of memoirs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oceaneire View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion! I just bought it for Kindle - if it's good, I'll post about it!
    To be fair, don't you need to post either way?

Thanks, Wuff, for the heads-up. I love reading AT books (well, usually) and will take a look at this one now.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Question Publisher? ISBN number?

I just contacted Parnassus Books, my local, independent bookseller here in Nashville, and they could not find this book. Even on Amazon, no publisher nor ISBN number was apparent. I also could not find it on www.alibris.com, my usual online source.

Would someone please give me that info? I'd love to order this book and from a local bookseller, NOT Amazon.

The ISBN is right above the bar code on the back of the book. The publisher should be somewhere inside the front cover.

Thanks in advance!

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

I think I just found the answer to my own question, and will pass the info along to any others who might need it:

Published February 10th 2013 by Follywork Publishing, LLC
    ISBN13: 9780615763583

RM

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I just contacted Parnassus Books, my local, independent bookseller here in Nashville, and they could not find this book. Even on Amazon, no publisher nor ISBN number was apparent. I also could not find it on www.alibris.com, my usual online source.

Would someone please give me that info? I'd love to order this book and from a local bookseller, NOT Amazon.

The ISBN is right above the bar code on the back of the book. The publisher should be somewhere inside the front cover.

Thanks in advance!

Rain Man

I picked "Stumbling Thru" up on Marta's suggestion. Not very far into yet, but so far I'm loving it.

Images

I enjoyed it a lot. Ditto ApeDrape's comments. Very vivid depiction of trail life. Should be required reading for anyone who asks whether they need to being a tent on their hike, :-)
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

Not too bad. And I generally dont like fiction.

However, the heavy slow people, and hamburger feet, seemed to be hiking the same pace as the faster people, which didnt exactly jive.

Hey all - giving this thread a bump. My buddy Digger just published the 2nd installment (and conclusion) of this AT novel series. You can find both volumes on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...a+digger+stolz

How ironic! The book arrives for sale just before the holidays! I'm about halfway through Book 2 and its easy to jump back into the story. So far I'm really enjoying it. But I'm obvs biased.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first volume. I was skeptical of "yet another AT book" to be honest.
    (Same plot: Another person buys equipment. Gets on the trail. Has a tough beginning. Meets some strange people. They become his or her family. They trip winds down. Katahdin is reached. An epiphany is had.)

Then I read it!

A work of fiction, but one that really resonates. Lots of little Easter eggs in there for those who know the AT and the culture of the trail.

A very good read and one of the better trail books I've read. Funny, poignant, and entertaining.

Going to get book 2 for sure.
    Last edited by Mags; 12-09-2013 at 17:15.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++