WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Unhappy Steve Longley The Ferryman

Sad news,

Sorry if this is a re-post but The Ferryman, Steve Longley passed away in his sleep last night. I have no link to post but it was on WCSH6 news in Portland Maine on the noontime report. He was a personal friend and a friend to all hikers.

I'm very saddened to hear this news. Steve was too young to leave us now. RIP Steve.

Steve Longley.jpg

Sad news. He invited a few of us to his place after ferrying us across. I believe he played the guitar that evening. We then camped on the hill behind his place.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

sad news indeed, he was a great guy, very helpful, stayed at his place twice.

That sucks. I blew out my knee about 2 miles before his place and when he saw me hobbling in he came out with a bag of ice. Great guy.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

When Steve ferried me on my '05 hike, everything went well until he lifted my pack out of the canoe, he lost his grip, and it fell into about 18 inches of the Kennebec. At that point in the hike, the comic relief was almost worth it but he felt bad and profusely apologized. I stayed at his place that night and ordered pizza which he picked up for me - his way of making amends.

You went too soon Steve - RIP.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Sorry to hear it, more than being a friend to hikers, he was a friend to the trail.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Was Steve the regular ferry man in '11? When I crossed the regular guy was off and the guy who had done it in years past was filling in.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Ferryman's response to Whiteblaze on his "2007 Agency Partner of the year" award:

Forever close to my heart...well, maybe!
    First of all, I would like to thank Bob Proudman, Matt Stevens and all the folks from the ATC and the Maine ATC for presenting this New England "2007 Agency Partner of the year" award to me recently. For twenty years, I had an incredible amount of help from over 70 people, some still living and others now on the other side. All I can say is Thank You! I remember back in "86" when I spent three hours hitchhiking to meet with MATC personnel near Waterville to be interviewed for the job. After the interview, I had to stall long enough for them to leave so they wouldn't see me hitchhiking home. At that time I would never imagine spending over 3,330 days by the side of a river with a paddle making a living or transporting over 19,000 hikers across "without a scratch", given the strong independent nature of trail hikers. Yesterday, I pulled the last canoe out of the crossing, but not without the obligatory "Our Father", "Hail Mary" and "As It Was In The Beginning" prayers I would say everyday waiting on hikers. The Spirituality of the river became the spirit of me. Add to this special place all the hikers from every "walk" of life and no one could have been as blessed. To all the pro-forders out there...Peace. Part of me felt compelled to jump into the internet fray to not only raise my heart palpations "wicked", but to protect the other ferrymen who asked only to go home to loved ones after the job was done. Besides, chasing hikers out in the open, moving river was just getting too hard for this 50 yo body. And now a foot of snow has fallen upon the river landscape opening up a new season while laying to rest the memories of hiker season's past. I have the wood stove and kerosene lantern both burning brightly so if the power goes out, I will still be the grateful ferryman to all the hikers right here in the middle of the north Maine woods. Happy Holidays, Steve Longley

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?30217-Steve-Longley-aka-Ferryman-recognized-as-ATC-partner-of-the-year
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Oh my... he was a wonderful human being and a good friend over the years... this is quite a shock... condolences to his family and loved ones.... and to avoid those ubiquitous dishonest 'he was the best human ever' kind of sentiments.... no... he was a stinker from time to time... and that makes me miss him even more... Thank you Steve so much for being there when the hikers showed up on your shores... and god bless you... much love...]

Images

Steve was a kind soul. Only met him once, in '04 when the WB gathering was at his place. Sent him a condolence when his father (mother?) passed on a few years back. He sent me a Thank You note, which I still have. He was taking the time and making the effort at such a time to reach out and thank me. That was the kind of guy he was.

RIP, Ferryman.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

If you take the ferry across this year give Dave your condolences. Dave was a good friend of Steve's and has been running the ferry these past four years. Dave is straight out of central casting for Maine tour guides and will be very happy to talk to you about Steve. Steve took me across the river 3 times... RIP my friend...

Do we have a link to a news story or obit? I haven't found anything online yet to verify. If true, very sad.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am so shocked right now, I can hardly believe this. This hits me very close to home and the heart. Steve was a very good friend. I spent a lot of time talking to Steve about the Appalachian Trail and many other things. He helped me organize and put together the first two WhiteBlaze hiker feeds at his place. Steve has given a lot to the Appalachian Trail community. He will be missed by me and many many people.

Thank you Ferryman for all you have done for the Appalachian Trail and your friendship.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

R.I.P Ferryman Steve.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Do we have a link to a news story or obit? I haven't found anything online yet to verify. If true, very sad.
    The MATC Facebook page says he died of a heart attack.
    I remember Steve, he ferried me across in 2011 when Dave was off one day.
    Condolences to his family and friends.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I never had the privilage but my wife remembers him fondly. I really wish I could have been able to meet this great fella. To those of you that knew him and those that knew him well, my thoughts are with you and his family today. Thanks for all your kindness Ferryman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++