WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Baseball Bat Shelters

I was trying to compile a list of the shelters which one time or another had the baseball bat flooring. Please add others if you are early shelter knowledgeable.

Poplar Ridge: still has the baseball bat flooring
    Rainbow Springs: still has the baseball bat flooring
    Hurd Brook: still has the baseball bat flooring
    Cooper Brook: used to have
    Chairback: flat flooring has been laid over the baseball bats
    Joe's Hole: used to and shelter is gone
    Jerome Brook: used to and shelter is gone
    Spaulding: old shelter used to

Journal Entries

Default Baseball Bat Shelters

Sorry I can't help, but I'm curious what "baseball bat flooring" is.
    RIAP

Long, round pieces of wood laid side by side that look like baseball bats that leave gaps and make for horribly uncomfortable sleeping.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Anyone remember when the shelters just had dirt floors?
    We used to hike up to Ney's shelter (about 2 miles north of where Eagles Nest shelter near Port Clinton now stands)
    When it rained, there was a mud puddle in the middle.
    The older boys would make us sleep in the middle.
    That's a long time ago though. (early 60's)
    I was up there last year looking for remains and could find none although I remember almost exactly where they were (these were 2 double shelters)

Anyway, what about that one in PA that they didn't tear down because Earl Schaeffer lived nearby and didn't like the newer style shelters.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I just spent a lot of time looking for the quote from Earl Shaffer that's in the AT Museum in Pine Grove Furnace SP, but I couldn't find it. It's him enumerating his reasons why shelters shouldn't have floors, and the type of unsavory people that shelter floors would attract: there are some very innocuous groups listed, like "picnickers" and "weekenders." Does anyone have the exact quote?
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I believe "baseball bat" shelters were originally used thusly: every couple of days, or whenever a hiker would show up, one would cut white pine boughs and cover the floor to enhance smell and provide some insulation. Pine boughs obviously not cut any longer..

There is a gap left between the outside ledge and the actual sleeping platform in many of these shelters to keep out varmits (cant clear the gap). Hence the reason so many of them are short and difficult for those tallies

Source: from the journal kept at the shelter just north of saddleback in Maine, published by the long-time ridgerunner/caretaker (drawing blank on both names..)

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Anyone remember when the shelters just had dirt floors?
    We used to hike up to Ney's shelter (about 2 miles north of where Eagles Nest shelter near Port Clinton now stands)
    When it rained, there was a mud puddle in the middle.
    The older boys would make us sleep in the middle.
    That's a long time ago though. (early 60's)
    I was up there last year looking for remains and could find none although I remember almost exactly where they were (these were 2 double shelters)

Anyway, what about that one in PA that they didn't tear down because Earl Schaeffer lived nearby and didn't like the newer style shelters.
    I sure remember one time at West Mountain, when a friend and I arrived to find it mostly flooded. As it turns out two people can sleep under a 6x8 tarp in the rain and live.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Achilles View Post
    Long, round pieces of wood laid side by side that look like baseball bats that leave gaps and make for horribly uncomfortable sleeping.
    Sounds uncomfortable, thanks for the explanation.
    RIAP

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    Source: from the journal kept at the shelter just north of saddleback in Maine, published by the long-time ridgerunner/caretaker (drawing blank on both names..)
    It's Spaulding Mtn. Shelter, but I can't remember the caretaker's name. I thought that FAQ/journal was one of the coolest things on the entire AT; I spent an hour and a half lunch break there all by myself reading it cover to cover.

I thought I remembered that shelter having a baseball bat floor from when I was there in 2011, but now I'm doubting myself because of the OP.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER:1431497
    I thought I remembered that shelter having a baseball bat floor from when I was there in 2011, but now I'm doubting myself because of the OP.
    Unless it was been rebuilt in the last 18 months, which is entirely possible, it is a baseball bat shelter. Newish roof when I was there, lots of beaver chew marks.

I read the entire thing front to back as well. Another reason Maine is my favorite AT state..and twooper cribbage

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I was there in 2009 and it was baseball bat shelter. In the FAQ/Journal it said that the longtime caretaker and his sister cut, peeled and installed the floor.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Actually I'm wrong, the Spaulding shelter had plank floor in 2009. It was the Poplar Ridge shelter with the baseball bat floor. 1st pic is Spaulding and 2nd pic is Poplar Ridge.

CIMG1591.jpgCIMG1611.jpg
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Poplar Ridge shelter is a baseball bat floor...

Dave Field is the long term maintainer of Poplar Ridge Shelter and author or the popular register whihc expalins why they do the things they do in Maine. I expect as long as he maintains the shlter it will retain the floor.

A thermarest works fine on those floors.

I still cut cedar or spruce branches whenever I sleep on baseball bat floors. I figure that it was designed for just that and if the club wanted me to stop cutting branches they would fix the floor.

++ New Posts ++