WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mt. Cammerer Lookout Trail

Anyone know if this trail is one way or does it loop back around to the AT?

Default It's an In and Out

Quote Originally Posted by Stix
    Anyone know if this trail is one way or does it loop back around to the AT?
    ================================================== ===========
    It's an out and back trail of about 0.60 miles. But even if it was a loop, purists would go out they way they came in, so as not to miss any stretch of white blazes.

From the National Geographic trails illustrated map GSMNP, it looks like the trail continues past the tower and connects with the AT. Were National Geographic cartographers smoking crack?

In 00' I hiked the.06 in and out and avoided the hiker crush and had the lookout all to ourselves it is worth the 1.2 mile trip
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stix
    ... Were National Geographic cartographers smoking crack?
    I think you are mistaking the state line for a trail?

I did the AT through the Smokies the first week of April this year, and made a point to do the .6 side trail to Mt. Cammerer. There were too many clouds to get really grand vistas, but as the wind blew the clouds over the course of 45 minutes or so, I got plenty of peeks this way and that. It was well worth the time and 1.2 mile extra distance, in my book.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 06-19-2005 at 13:29.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Default Mt. Camerer

The Mt. Camerer Trail is out and back to the tower (1.2 miles round trip). In my opinion the tower provides the best view in the park. There is a Lower Mt. Camerer Trail that connects to the AT north of the Mt. Camerer side trail. It travels west from there to the Low Gap Trail.

no i found it by accident and did not mean to go their
    losers allways whine about their best, winners go home and f#*k the prom queen

O.K., I got it. It’s a 1.2 in-out and well worth it…best vista in the park. I admit it, I’m

a lazy fat bastard and I thought I saw a short cut!

Thanks for the info

Images

its a one way trail and its awesome,the look out tower and view is excellent

neo

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

One way in and out ...grand ole CCC built octagonal stone fire lookout tower, very different from the usual metal skeletons...well worth the trip and a great place to hang out and read Edward Abbey books as his spirit is very familiar and comfortable in haunts such as these.

great place to "get caught" by inclimate weather for the night and not be able to leave until the next morning when the weathe clears and light comes and it is safe to do so....safety first
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

"I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

To each his own, but this guy doesn’t sound like someone I would want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    its a one way trail and its awesome,the look out tower and view is excellent

neo
    Thankfully, it's not a one way trail. But don't give the Park Service any ideas!!!

Images

I heard that the park service has now locked the door to the tower. I know last month it was open.

++ New Posts ++