WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Walmarts website carries way more stuff than the stores have. They even have some top shelf gear at unbeatable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Some Walmarts sell freeze dried meals as well, if you are so inclined.
    Not a big deal but I think you will find that the Coleman Meals made by and also sold under Enertia TrailFoods are dehydrated and not freeze dried.

Only matters when comparing prices.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Not a big deal but I think you will find that the Coleman Meals made by and also sold under Enertia TrailFoods are dehydrated and not freeze dried.

I've never bought them, I don't know if they are any good either:what:. I have bought other brands in the past but I usually focused on price and taste not method. I only looked them over briefly in case I saw something particularly interesting. These store bought meals are just too expensive to me, dehydrating one's own is fairly cheap. For me roughly $1-2/meal. They do sell the dehydrators at Wal-Mart.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I got some really great deals on headlamps and lighting at Target when clearanced. Also they carry Champion brand shirts, jackets and underwear (men's poly/spandex boxer briefs, women's sports bras).They also have a pretty good selection of travel-foods (foil-packed meats, dried sauces, etc)

At Walmart you can get the microfiber towels sold at REI in the housewares dept for about $3 (+29 at REI)...along with tons of accessory stuff. Check for things you can use in all the Sporting Goods Depts, as well as Hardware (rope, duct tape).

I know some of the stuff is of lesser quality and will need to be replaced, but it should get us through a few sections.....but a Nalgene bottle is a Nalgene bottle wherever you buy it (TARGET $6)

Images

The mosquito head net/was $2.00. Very happy to have it in MA and weighs less than an oz.
    Turtle2

Some items I have purchased are anondized cookset, isopropane fuel, survival blanket, Sponge Bob water wings....cut them at the seam for a great pillow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I already have several, but Swiss Army Knifes, the small ones with scissors are sold there, not sure if there's a savings to be had there???

No but if you work really hard you might score a few hungry women who have not seen a dentist in a while...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I've never bought them, I don't know if they are any good either:what:. I have bought other brands in the past but I usually focused on price and taste not method. I only looked them over briefly in case I saw something particularly interesting. These store bought meals are just too expensive to me, dehydrating one's own is fairly cheap. For me roughly $1-2/meal. They do sell the dehydrators at Wal-Mart.

They are fine.. not great and not fd - they are fbc.. dried... no biggie...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle2 View Post
    The mosquito head net/was $2.00. Very happy to have it in MA and weighs less than an oz.
    Yea.. its OK - the better ones are Pyrthrin infused .. if this is what you can afford - buy it.

Woo

Academy has some good stuff fairly cheap also. Just bought a 1/4 zip merino wool base layer for $22.00, normally $44.00 which is still a great price, identical to the Terramar I already have. Also bought a rain jacket for $19.95 that I like better than the Goretex I already have, rain pants were also $19.95, a complete set of Driducks is < $20.00, good deals on shoes also and other gear.

Journal Entries
    Images

What can yo get at Walmat? a cheap poppin' optomolgist... Thanks Tosh.o

Woo

I carried a $10 fifty degree Walmart sleeping bag for 850 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post

Just got back from Walmart. They are closing out the Coleman meals for $4.00 a piece. Now carrying Mountain House for $5.88 - $6.88.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

If you're really sly, you can get one of those electric carts that all the obese Wal-Mart shoppers use and take it on the trail. Those suckers are fast! But you have to go during off-hours, since most the carts are otherwise in use.

Walmart-Mario-Cart.jpg

I was in Walmart today. The Coleman meals were gone. There were maybe 6 MH meals hanging on pegs looking very lonely.
    I di fine Coleman Butane/Propane mix canisters. The connection looks like a Lindal valve for my Primus Multi-Fuel stove. I'll find out tomorrow when the gas meets the stove. Does anyone know for sure if these Coleman gas canisters match the canisters from MSR, JetBoil, Primus, etc.?

51WzqPlO0OL.jpg

Journal Entries

I really try not to support China-Mart.

My objection to them, is that today all they sell, is the cheapest, crappiest, chinese made junk possible, that they sell for the highest profit margin.

If you want a quality item of some sort, you have to go elsewhere.

Once upon a time they were more balanced.

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-09-2013 at 21:41.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    +1 on these. Coleman brand. Depending on the store some pretty good selections. I like them and they're only just over 5 bucks not 8 or 9 like the big name brands.
    I actually saw Mountain House meals at the local Walmart today....something they've NEVER carried before. Just Beef Stew and Chicken with Rice, and the same price REI sells them for 30 miles away.

I found freeze-dried fruit in the cereal section. Didn't price it. We had been there awhile & it was time to go. I will price it next time.
    We also found a brand of granola bars new to us - Sunset Bakery. Bought two flavors. Like them so far. Very disappointed by the tuna & chicken in foil selection. I think we need to go to a real grocery store for those goodies.

Wayne

Not a Mountain House fan myself, but you can order them from Walmart online with free shipping to your selected local store.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Just got back from our Walmart. Shelves are surprisingly bare. No Mountain House or Coleman meals at all. Yellow Heat is all gone. General camping gear is gone. Everything "useful" shelves are all empty. Hmm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++