WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I really try not to support China-Mart.

My objection to them, is that today all they sell, is the cheapest, crappiest, chinese made junk possible, that they sell for the highest profit margin.

If you want a quality item of some sort, you have to go elsewhere.

Once upon a time they were more balanced.

This is so sad and so very true. I remember when you could get anything you wanted at Walmart and in 3 types of qualities according to your budget. You could get a good option at a really fair price, a better option for a little more but still a fair price and a best option for a little more but still a decent price. Now if you can even find the item you are looking for you have one choice and it has turned into a cheap import with the "this is all we got take it or leave it" option. Very sad.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I bought a pair of perscription sunglasses, comfy, wrap-around, lightly tinted rose colored, UV coating for $70. I was impressed with the variety of frames in the optic shop. Walmart continues to impress me with prety decent stuff for a solid bargin. I'll have to do some AT shopping with the ideas in this post, thanks! (My wife now grocery shops at Walmart, swears she saves money over Kroger)

I was thinking about including almonds in my drop boxes. My local walmart sells my favorite almonds at <$10/30oz: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blue-Diamo...30-oz/22234371. Blue Diamond Lightly Salted.

Walmart carries 2mil pastic. We used some to make a footprint for our tent. It came in at half the weight of the old one.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I was in Walmart today. The Coleman meals were gone. There were maybe 6 MH meals hanging on pegs looking very lonely.
    I di fine Coleman Butane/Propane mix canisters. The connection looks like a Lindal valve for my Primus Multi-Fuel stove. I'll find out tomorrow when the gas meets the stove. Does anyone know for sure if these Coleman gas canisters match the canisters from MSR, JetBoil, Primus, etc.?

Attachment 20291
    Yes it is the standard valve and works with the Jetboil (as I've use it for that)

The one and only thing I have ever purchased from Wal-Mart that I still use is an Ozark Trail fixed blade. I used it for years, sharpened 3 times so far and has held up EXTREMELY well. I believe I paid $10-15 for this knife and it has held up as good as some of my $60 blades.

Wait.... maybe I got it at k-mart? It was like 6 years ago...
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Yes it is the standard valve and works with the Jetboil (as I've use it for that)
    Thank you! Good news! I'll buy more as they were at least a dollar less than the name brand canisters elsewhere.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I was in Walmart today. The Coleman meals were gone. There were maybe 6 MH meals hanging on pegs looking very lonely.
    I di fine Coleman Butane/Propane mix canisters. The connection looks like a Lindal valve for my Primus Multi-Fuel stove. I'll find out tomorrow when the gas meets the stove. Does anyone know for sure if these Coleman gas canisters match the canisters from MSR, JetBoil, Primus, etc.?

Attachment 20291
    Never knew it was called a Lindal valve, learn something new here every day, gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Cool, was wondering the same thing.

I bought some cheapy trek poles from Walmart just to see if I like hiking with them...I don't, but need em on the down hills...so fer now..there in!

Just left the store - they now carry a 1 liter canteen similar to the Platypus bottle. Walmart's version comes with a sports cap and a carabiner.

Images

I buy my hiking shorts there. Just buy a pair of black swim trunks (or whatever color you like), go home and cut the web liner out. You get nice quick drying shorts and most come with 3 or 4 pockets. I've used them for years. Of course it can be hit or miss with anything at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    I buy my hiking shorts there. Just buy a pair of black swim trunks (or whatever color you like), go home and cut the web liner out. You get nice quick drying shorts and most come with 3 or 4 pockets. I've used them for years. Of course it can be hit or miss with anything at Walmart.
    ^^ Very true. I picked up a hiking shirt there a few years back. I believe it was $10 bucks and it has 3 seasons on it already and holding up just fine.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Yep..the Coleman canisters are indeed the Lindal valve. Jetboil, SnoPeak, MSR, Coleman etc use Linda valve stoves.

Something I wrote on the CDT list:

>but we haven't been able to fit Coleman with our Pocket Rocket -are you sure??
    >>Kristina, I used Coleman canisters on two occasions with my Pocket Rocket,
    >>
    and both times I never had issues threading the PR to the canister.

I think the confusion is that Kristina may be thinking of the 16.4 oz propane canisters Coleman sells of lot of for mainly car camping.

Most canister stoves will *not* use this type of canister of course. http://goo.gl/1ZQJg

Coleman does sell their own branded isopro fuel blend that works with any stoves using the standard Lindal valves http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Bu...-Fuel/20595064
    (More info than you ever wanted to know about Lindal valves :O http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FA...oves.htm#EN417 ).

Most recently made backpacking stoves(Jetboil, Pocket Rocket, Snopeak and the Coleman's own F1 (great little stove BTW) ) make use of canisters that use the Lindal valve.

All these stoves and brands of canisters are interchangeable. Use a Coleman F1 stove with an MSR fuel and or an MSR stove with a Jetboilcanister and all is good.

Wally World and other places sells these Coleman canisters so resupply may be a little easier for canister stoves in many places that traditionally sold more car camping than backpacking gear.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ferk View Post
    I was thinking about including almonds in my drop boxes. My local walmart sells my favorite almonds at <$10/30oz: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blue-Diamo...30-oz/22234371. Blue Diamond Lightly Salted.
    Raw too, basically half price from other venues.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    From my experience in cycling, I quickly learned that a bike shop will take an el cheapo item, put a picture of a bike on it and triple the price.

I've seen the same thing in outdoor gear too. Walmart sells a trowel for under $5 that REI sells for $16. I bought neither one since sticks are free and I have an extra tent stake.

I understand that my experience as a weekend and short trip backpacker doesn't fully qualify me to evaluate gear for the long haul. I've seen though, through trail and error, some of the things where I needed/wanted to spend some dough - almost anything with down or wool, a lightweight tent, Osprey packs, I've also used a few things from Walmart that seem to be cheaper and as functional as need be: grease pot, HEET, butane gas, wool socks, synthetic base layers (which will end up smelly but are cheap enough to replace), a beanie/skullcap/tuque, a head lamp. My question is - what other things could you good folks suggest I get at Walmart (or other discount) store?
    Ask walmart joe.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

I'm not a prepper nor do I have a "bug out bag", that's what my home is for.

While browsing for some other food items i found that Walmart online now has Augason Farms long term storage foods. Some might be good if you do enough hiking to use them up once you open them.

Things like dried eggs, honey, butter, cheese type stuff.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++