WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section Hiker

Default Cook time with Pocket Rocket?

We went on a day hike today and broke out our new Pocket Rocket. It took FOREVER to boil 4 cups of water to make hot cocoa and then 4 more for ramen for two. The fuel seems just about gone after starting with a full small canister. Should I have turned the valve to full open to cook? What should I expect in terms of cooking times and fuel usage for two? We are sectioning GA in June and I want to be prepared; plan to cook dinner daily and perhaps oatmeal in the morning. Thanks!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

How wide was the pot and did you use a wind screen of foil or was it windy today?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Default Cook time with Pocket Rocket?

Open it all of the way. If the fuel is cold it might take longer too

Section Hiker

It was breezy but not windy. No wind screen, I thought you weren't supposed to or wouldn't have to use one with the rocket. That's what I'm thinking, maybe I should have turned it all the way up, which is fine but the fuel consumption worried me.

"

Journal Entries
    Images

I am going to guess you should have played with it at home a little more - or use it while the power is out for a meal... Yes flashing is fine so long as you dont reflect the heat to the canister.

here is what it says on the REI site

Lightweight and compact, weighing just over 3 oz., the Pocket Rocket boils a liter of water in less than 4 min.!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am going to guess you should have played with it at home a little more - or use it while the power is out for a meal... Yes flashing is fine so long as you dont reflect the heat to the canister.

here is what it says on the REI site

Lightweight and compact, weighing just over 3 oz., the Pocket Rocket boils a liter of water in less than 4 min.!
    That is accurate. I have read somewhere that if you half the water the boil time is much quicker even when it is doubled. I have not tried this ...just what i read.

To the OP what are you calling forever? Did you put a clock on it. Most likely temp effected the fuel.

Section Hiker

Originally it was going to be an at home trial, but the sun came out for a change and it was over 50 so a great day for a local hike, we figured what the heck. It worked, we ate, it just needs to work better. Thanks you guys!

"

Wind screen is very important.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Next time also warm the fuel canister first my putting it inside a jacket pocket,wrapping it inside a knit cap for a few minutes before using.

The MSR pocket rocket is really efficient at heating up 2 to 3 cups of water if the pot isn't too wide or tall. An oven roaster pan thickness is what I use as a wind screen. It doesn't need to be flush with the canister base to be a effective.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

You definitely don't want to tighly wrap an external wind screen around a canister stove; if the canister gets too hot, very bad things can happen. When I used to use the PR, I'd put a half-wrap around it though, made all the difference in the world. If there is any breeze at all and you don't have any wind protection, the efficiency goes way down.

May not be so cut and dried as one might initially assume! It might just not be your MSR Pocket Rocket stove! ~ Wind screen used, initial temp of water, initial temp of fuel(warm your can up first under your armpit or in a jacket pocket), outside temp, altitude(pressure), type of pot(shallow flat, tall narrow, Titanium, anodized aluminum, stainless steel, thickness of the metal used in the manufacture of the pot), fuel mixture(some isobutane or other compressed gas mixes work better at higher elevations/temp than others, Snow Peak Gold and Jet Boil fuels as well as some comparable iso mixes work well in colder temps), how long you brought the H2O to boil before mixing up the cocoa or Ramen? These can all play a role in your fuel consumption. Personally, unless I feel sterilizing my H2O is in order, I bring water to just below a boil and make food, like you mention, just warm/hot enough to consume/drink. Why bring water to a hard boil consuming more fuel in the process for cocoa when you then have to wait around for it to cool off before drinking? That's wasted energy/fuel! Same with the Ramen. Let Ramen sit a few minutes in warm/hot water to cook WITH the lid on your pot. Same with Knorrs rice and noodle side dishes, Idahoan instant Mashed Potatoes, mac & cheese, etc I'll also heat smaller amts of water like 1 1/2 cups at a time. Add my food. Turn off heat/fuel. Let sit to cook. And, if still hot after a few mins or not enough water for the meal add a little tepid/cooler water. That can save a bit of fuel each meal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    May not be so cut and dried as one might initially assume! It might just not be your MSR Pocket Rocket stove! ~ Wind screen used, initial temp of water, initial temp of fuel(warm your can up first under your armpit or in a jacket pocket), outside temp, altitude(pressure), type of pot(shallow flat, tall narrow, Titanium, anodized aluminum, stainless steel, thickness of the metal used in the manufacture of the pot), fuel mixture(some isobutane or other compressed gas mixes work better at higher elevations/temp than others, Snow Peak Gold and Jet Boil fuels as well as some comparable iso mixes work well in colder temps), how long you brought the H2O to boil before mixing up the cocoa or Ramen? These can all play a role in your fuel consumption. Personally, unless I feel sterilizing my H2O is in order, I bring water to just below a boil and make food, like you mention, just warm/hot enough to consume/drink. Why bring water to a hard boil consuming more fuel in the process for cocoa when you then have to wait around for it to cool off before drinking? That's wasted energy/fuel! Same with the Ramen. Let Ramen sit a few minutes in warm/hot water to cook WITH the lid on your pot. Same with Knorrs rice and noodle side dishes, Idahoan instant Mashed Potatoes, mac & cheese, etc I'll also heat smaller amts of water like 1 1/2 cups at a time. Add my food. Turn off heat/fuel. Let sit to cook. And, if still hot after a few mins or not enough water for the meal add a little tepid/cooler water. That can save a bit of fuel each meal too.
    Very good points and suggestions.

Another thing Slbirdnerd that you need to be aware of is that you are cooking for two hikers so carrying the larger 8 oz can may be better for you and your companion. Of course, this somewhat depends on your hiking style like how much you actually make heated meals, how often you plan on resupplying, etc

Section Hiker

Thanks, all. I'm starting to wonder if, especially cooking and packing fuel for two, if I need to go with an alcohol stove instead. I also like the idea of not having the waste of empty fuel canisters. Hadn't thought of that before. Anybody use a Caldera Cone?

"

IMO, YOU MIGHT better be served by FIRST learning about a few types of iso stoves, iso fuels, with possibly a few different combinations(designs) of pots BEFORE moving on. OR, even more simply, just start applying the good advice that posters have already stated on this thread regarding your initial concerns with the MSR Pocket Rocket whern cooking for two in one pot. Based on what you said in your initial post look at what your initial concerns were! - COOK TIME and possibly amount of fuel used for two people. There are MANY variables in that equation alone. AND, it's my suspicion you have not yet even tried the many options(good advice) given already addresing cook time and fuel consumption with your current cooking set up.What I'm saying is that before totally ditching the iso(compressed fuel) cooking approach LEARN MORE about that so that things don't become so overwhelming with all the different options and set ups of both fuel approaches. Simplify things for yourself so they are easier to digest and master. IF YOU DO THAT, you'll also be in a better place to make a more fair comparison between different fuel setups and approaches. FOCUS ON GETTING BETTER USE OUT OF WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE FIRST!

I'll tease you a little though by saying, IN GENERAL, IN MY EXPERIENCE(other folks may have different experiences), I find that ANY home made alchy stove and alchy stove fuel and pot setup with an alchy stove I've used takes longer to heat up an equal amt of water in a equal pot than a quality iso burner and iso fuel mix.

Did you put a lid on the pot?

I use a wind screen with mine and if it's cold at night i will put it in my sleeping bag to keep it warm.

1 8 oz can should get two of you through GA, bring an extra one of course. See above advice re: warming can, windscreen etc. Lots of folks have had great success with this model. Of course lots of folks have had great success with a coke can and some HEET too.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    1 8 oz can should get two of you through GA, bring an extra one of course. See above advice re: warming can, windscreen etc. Lots of folks have had great success with this model. Of course lots of folks have had great success with a coke can and some HEET too.
    Thanks! I appreciate having a reference point for how much fuel to expect to use. I'm not ignoring the other stuff, but everyone I know is in my ear about alcohol stoves. I have to ask.

"

1 8 oz can lastes me about 12 days and thats cooking one meal a day. Alcohol stoves are great but please learn how to use it before hand, since you are only doing GA i would stick with the pocket rocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++