WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail conditions in NY - Pawling >> Bear Mountain

Hi all,

Anybody have current info. on snow and trail condition in this area? My plan is to section hike this area in a couple weeks (last weekend in March).
    Thanks.

I'm going to finish NY this spring--then two states down!

Thanks.

Journal Entries

I'm a bit above that area but the time fram gives a lot of variability. I suggest looking at http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html to get a idea closer to the date.

Thanks--that site is definitely helpful for snow depth.

Has anyone hiked this area recently?

I haven't been out there recently but judging from conditions where I live, and assuming no major new snowfalls, you may still encounter old snow a few inches deep on the north slopes and very shaded areas. Mud, of course, from runoff. Nothing you can't handle.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Replying on this thread rather than starting a new one. I plan to do some hiking around Harriman / Fahnestock next week. The forecast shows next weekend and early next week going through the freeze/thaw cycle overnight and during the day, with some snow on Monday and Tuesday. Just checking to see if any of you have been hiking recently along the AT in NJ. Is there a lot of snow on the ground already, and how icy is it? Thanks!

My sister lives along the Delaware river, a few miles south of the Gap. She has lots of snow in her yard as of a few days ago and the river is frozen over. I would imagine you'll find plenty of snow and ice along the trail in NJ.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Looked like quite a bit of snow as we drove back from NYC toward Albany last evening on the Taconic Parkway (which goes thru Fahnestock) in a light snow storm. Up here the temps were just above freezing today but are supposed to drop back tonight and stay that way. Very little melting so the snow keeps blowing around as it's still fairly dry.

++ New Posts ++