Journal Entries
    Images

Default Update on snow levels

I heard the snow is behind now when before it was average. Whats the story on the snow level on the PCT and when can one make a decision on it?

Images

Here's a graphic representation of the Sierra snow levels. The levels could change if the jet stream moves. You can make your decision any time. You just have to decide you're going to go and deal with whatever snow there is.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

You really "never make a decision" about it. Most hikers hit Kennedy Meadows June 1st-15th and you hike on whatever the Sierra's give you. That being said, this is shaping up to be a really low snow year. The link Moose posted is the best info imho - The Southern Section is your primary concern, and it's at about 50%. Looks like SoCal is going to have a water shortage after a 2nd straight low snow year (I think last year was around 45%)

Having just read a bunch of articles on the CA DWR website trying to find snow depths at Bighorn, it seems they lucked out. There were a bunch of big storms in November and December that fill up the reservoirs nicely. Fingers crossed the snow pack remains low.
    Yahtzee

++ New Posts ++