WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "The unit of the Bovis scale is the ångström (1 Å = 0,1 nm or 10−10m). The measurement consists of the operator placing a detecting device on or near the Bovis scale diagram and noting the Bovis number. A number of 6,500 (fresh, raw, vegetable foods) is considered "sufficient" (to keep the energetic balance), lower figures negatively affect human life and body functioning, higher numbers (as detected in fresh, ripe fruit and freshly pressed juices, seeds and sprouts, which score 8,000-10,000 on the Bovis scale) have positive effects aiding physiological functions. Numbers above 10,000 are in the "ethereal range", considered Places of power."
    This has new age BS written all over it. Measuring the life force of food and minerals- yea right. There is no doubt that freash, whole foods are better for you then the highly processed stuff most of us eat these days but to try and qualify it in the above manor is simply absurd.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

While I have found that there is some truth that a calorie isn't just another calorie as body chemistry in how it treats that calorie is different. There is a reason why sugary and heavily processed foods tend to make you gain weight over getting your calories another way, at least if you aren't physically active when consuming them. When I thru-hiked the PCT, I only lost 10 lbs, in part because I paid some attention to my diet and tried to eat healthy, even on the trail. That is because I believe that you need other nutrition inorder for your body to get the most out of the calories you consume. But Olive Oil and Peanut butter were also a big part of my diet and were likely the reason I only lost 10 lbs since I suspect I actually gained some weight back towards the end when I upped my Peanut butter consumption by adding it to all my snicker bars.

I dont know much about activated Barley, but it could be that adding some to a diet could be beneficial to how your body uses the calories it consumes. But, I have issues with the idea that Barley is better then fat calories at keeping a thru-hiker from looking like a skeleton after a few months. It might make a nice supplement, but not a replacement for high calorie food.

Images

Science is a wonderful thing, but scientists need to do two things to stay scientists and not become door men or food service technicians. They either need to show enough promising research to get grants and get published, or they need to get a job with a business that will pay them to publish good things about their products.

The food and supplement industry ripe with the second type. A five minute Google search will bring up promising research on every type of snake oil sold on late night TV.

My point is, what a few "scientists" say about a new and revolutionary product or how one calorie is different from another is highly suspect, especially when it comes from a web page that is trying to sell something.

Keep in mind Kellogg's Corn Flakes was developed as the ultimate health food by a doctor who made millions off the idea.

I'm still tryin to get my head around the whole quantum particle jump from one orbit back to another latent Bovis measurement type thing...been up all night thinking about it...all most had it around 3....then I lost it in the either....fun to think about though.

post script...Note, could be an important piece in the constantly changing "Unified Hiker Theory" i've been working on.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 03-12-2013 at 06:30.

Imo: "Science" falls into two categories 1) Observing and preserving measurable data, and
    2) Redefining terms to make your preconcieved beliefs more palatable, therefore saleable, to the end that it brings glory and honor to your intellect. (#2 reminds me of theology ).

The reader is probably justified in his/her skepticism when the almighty dollar is concerned .

Btw: Boiled Grapenuts are one of my favorite hot cereals when I'm on the trail. Add a little honey or brown sugar, powdered milk - great stuff! (I have never thrown it up ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL. I find it more than a little ironic that posters will find ways to dismiss something such as the possible benefits of foods high on the Bovis Scale when they don't even make an attempt at understanding the science and principles behind these ratings. Talk about not being open to new ways of thinking regarding nutrition and efficient usable energy in consumables that some might say are revolutionary. Talk about being about close minded.

"The unit of the Bovis scale is the ångström (1 Å = 0,1 nm or 10−10m). The measurement consists of the operator placing a detecting device on or near the Bovis scale diagram and noting the Bovis number. A number of 6,500 (fresh, raw, vegetable foods) is considered "sufficient" (to keep the energetic balance), lower figures negatively affect human life and body functioning, higher numbers (as detected in fresh, ripe fruit and freshly pressed juices, seeds and sprouts, which score 8,000-10,000 on the Bovis scale) have positive effects aiding physiological functions. Numbers above 10,000 are in the "ethereal range", considered Places of power."
    I'm certainly no athlete, nutritionist or horticulturalist but I have spent some amount of time in labs with instruments that measure vibrational frequencies on the electromagnetic scale, aka vibrational spectroscopy. X-rays, ultraviolet, visible, infrared - those are terms I understand and can discuss somewhat intelligently the design of detectors for acquiring measurements in each of those areas. So I am very interested in "understanding the science and principles behind these ratings".

Part of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovis_scalewikipedia article that you didn't quote: "The Bovis scale, named after French radiesthesist André Bovis (1871–1947; also referred to as either Antoine or Alfred by some authors), is a concept used by dowsers and adherents of geomancy to quantify the strength of a postulated "cosmo-telluric energy" inherent in a location."

Dowsing? Oh come on now. Really? There must be some mistake...
    But I guess not...

The first one is to give the pendulum a back and forth swing, lengthwise along the baseline, moving progressively along the numbers, concentrating on the object to measure and asking "Is it 1000, is it 2000...?" When you approach the number that is the result, the pendulum will change direction and swing back and forth perpendicularly to the line. The number above which the movement is the strongest is your result.

The second technique is to swing the pendulum back and forth perpendicularly to the baseline, moving progressively along the numbers, concentrating on the object to measure and asking "Is it 1000, is it 2000...?" When you approach the number that is the result, the pendulum will start turning clockwise. The number above for which the clockwise movement is the strongest is your result. If you pass the result, the pendulum will show an anti- clockwise movement.

Please don't use the term 'science' in reference to this Bovis scale thing.

The correct term would be 'belief'.

Just sayin'
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

What are the units for the Bogus scale ?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK:1437296
    It's a blend of metric and imperial with a smidgen of Klingon.

This is sprout-able barley and is about $23 per pound too expensive. You would be better off having a nice microbrew beer.

Dogwood, I get what you're saying about being open to nutritional information that may be a bit counter-intuitive, but my point in making fun of the product was the idea that they're taking one of man's oldest foods and trying to repackage it and charge a ridiculous price for it. Actually Ecaz did the smart thing by running an uninformed purchase they were considering by a group of people that may possibly have greater knowledge on the subject. Kind of like if you get on a car repair forum when your engine starts making a whiny sound and you only have a rudimentary understanding auto repair. Somebody on that forum will probably know if your mechanic is jobbing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Imo: "Science" falls into two categories 1) Observing and preserving measurable data, and
    2) Redefining terms to make your preconcieved beliefs more palatable, therefore saleable, to the end that it brings glory and honor to your intellect. (#2 reminds me of theology ).

The reader is probably justified in his/her skepticism when the almighty dollar is concerned .

Btw: Boiled Grapenuts are one of my favorite hot cereals when I'm on the trail. Add a little honey or brown sugar, powdered milk - great stuff! (I have never thrown it up ).
    J/K Tinker. I like most cereals but just never liked Grapenuts, I guess I should have boiled it first.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I believe you mean bovine scale. The unit is the patty.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    You guys can be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Actually, that would be 0.1 nanopatties or 1 pÅtty.

I think I'm done with any serious discussion of this. But I do wish I had a nickel for ever time I saw Doctor of Philosophy abbreviated incorrectly here on WB.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    You guys can be brutal.

For real!

Btw: if you were from the Boston area your name might be bfayah.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

My nutrition mantra (misuse of grammar for emphasis ) - Eat watcha want what don't make ya sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecaz View Post
    Are calories all created equal?
    I dont know if all calories are created equal but I can say that I would lose weight eating nothing but junk food and drinking beer. I would gain eating vegetables and breads.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    They either need to show enough promising research to get grants and get published, or they need to get a job .
    As long as you can get grants why bother with a job?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecaz View Post
    So, I understand that a calorie is a measurement of energy, so I agree that by definition, a calorie is a calorie, so I will refine my argument if I can find further evidence that this food will provide more energy than other foods commonly eaten on the trail. Thanks for the feedback!
    I may be in left field but I believe the body processes the calories from different foods with varying efficiency, and not necessarilly the same for everyone. Diesel fuel has calories as does gasoline but a gas engine doesn't process diesel too well.

Images

$50 for 32 oz--i don't think so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I may be in left field but I believe the body processes the calories from different foods with varying efficiency, and not necessarily the same for everyone. Diesel fuel has calories as does gasoline but a gas engine doesn't process diesel too well.
    Nice analogy, but I think comparing grades of gasoline is more apt. The difference would be in the energy used to convert the different foods to glucose. which should be a known number for those who care enough to seek it out.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++