WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cozy Thoughts

Default Cozy Thoughts

Recently I have become aware of the homemade cozy. Here are a couple of links for those who need more info:
    http://www.modernbushman.com/2012/02...acking-hiking/
    http://sectionhiker.com/diy-freezer-bag-cooking-cozy/

Here is what I think I am hearing about cooking in a homemade cozy.

Method of cooking:

1) Boil water
    2) Put packaged meal in cozy.
    3) Pour boiling water into meal package that is in cozy.
    4) Close cozy and wait.
    5) Stir and eat out of package.

If this is true, I note the following:

1) Stove would be run just long enough to boil water
    2) Pot would not have to be cleaned.
    3) Portions would already be measured.
    4) Meal packages would be only trash.

Am I thinking correctly?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Yes. You don't have to fully boil water, near-boiling is enough. You can heat enough water for a hot drink at the same time.

Get a long-handled spoon. Easier to eat from the bag that way.

Cozies are completely unnecessary. If you have a pot and a lid, boil your water, add your food, cover with lid and let sit til done. I've used both methods and found the 'cozy is extra weight and space in my pack. It works either way. A cozy is just a peice of unnecessary gear.

I will put my freeze dried meals in zip lock bags. Those bags will go into an empty/cleaned Mountain House bag and be zipped up. The Mountain House bag makes a minimal cozy. It can be reused many times, is super light, and can be rolled or folded to take minimum space.

Cozys conserve fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Cozys conserve fuel.
    That was my thought. The weight conserved in fuel and the fact that there is no cleanup make it an option I will use.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Prop Blast View Post
    I will put my freeze dried meals in zip lock bags. Those bags will go into an empty/cleaned Mountain House bag and be zipped up. The Mountain House bag makes a minimal cozy. It can be reused many times, is super light, and can be rolled or folded to take minimum space.
    Is there an issue with boiling water in zip-locks? Do you use a special zip-lock?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prop Blast View Post
    Is there an issue with boiling water in zip-locks? Do you use a special zip-lock?
    What I have read elsewhere on WB is that brand is important - don't use off brand ziplocks.

Also you can find pint ziplocks which I did not know until recently. These are the perfect size for two packs of oatmeal or two packs of easy mac.

Images

Yes, you are thinking correctly. Cozies are great. One additional feature is that you can put small flour tortillas inside the cozy with your rehydrating dinner and they will warm and soften. (Can't do that in the pot ) I like to make burritos and this works very well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I will just use the heavier freezer bags. They can stand up to boiling for trail cooking. That way, my trash is composed of thinner, more flexible zip lock bags and not the heavier Mountain House or commercial bags. I will have only one Mountain House bag as a cozy until it wears out. Then I'll trash it and buy another meal but wash out and reuse the bag as a replacement cozy. Like you mentioned earlier, it sure saves on cleanup by cooking in the bag.

Images

If you make your cozie out of the blue pad foam or the eva type foam or even the foil coated bubble stuff, you can use it as a seat cushion when you are not cooking with it.

Birdbrain, I started using a cozy last year...experimented with different materials. You can use ductwork insulation that looks like foil covered bubble wrap, or a car windshield sunshield. The best material I have found to use is a re-useable foil lined grocery bag.

Reflex is the best stuff I have found.

Images

Always use ziploc freezer bags. The storage bags do not work well with boiling water.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Birdbrain, you are indeed thinking correctly. I favour Reflectix insulation and foil flue tape (not duct tape, it peels off after a while of being exposed to the heat) for making the cosy. Make it like an envelope with a flap to tuck in over the freezer bag - it's more efficient when it's closed.

Sometimes I do hybrid cooking. For example, rice and lentils in the freezer bag and curry in the pot. The curry gets poured over the rice and lentils at the very end. That way the rice doesn't turn to gluey mush the way it would if I heated them all together. Disadvantage is that then you do have to wash the pot.

And the other poster is right. Do not use generic freezer bags from Target or Wally World. There's nothing like having the bag containing your chicken-vegetable-and-couscous-stew burst.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 03-12-2013 at 22:31.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Just a thought: I've known some people who use their fleece beanies/hats as FBC cozies. They swear by it, and claim that it allows them to eliminate one more piece of "unitasker" gear. I've not tried it myself (I use a homemade Reflectix cozy), but I've thought of giving it a test, just to get a feel for it.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yes, you are thinking correctly. Cozies are great. One additional feature is that you can put small flour tortillas inside the cozy with your rehydrating dinner and they will warm and soften. (Can't do that in the pot ) I like to make burritos and this works very well.
    Great idea! I hadn't thought of warming the tortillas in the cosy next to the beans. Must try that next time.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    Just a thought: I've known some people who use their fleece beanies/hats as FBC cozies. They swear by it, and claim that it allows them to eliminate one more piece of "unitasker" gear. I've not tried it myself (I use a homemade Reflectix cozy), but I've thought of giving it a test, just to get a feel for it.
    If your dinner springs a leak, your head warmer smells like food.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    Always use ziploc freezer bags. The storage bags do not work well with boiling water.
    Working well is very important and that advice is needed as well. However, my concern is with the plastic breaking down and getting in my food. I read a response from the Zip-lock company where they stated that it was not safe to cook food in their product using this method. I am not sure if they are covering their butts and don't want a McDonald's type lawsuit or they are saying their plastic is not designed to withstand that kind of heat. After researching the subject, I found this company sells bags designed for this kind of abuse.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++