WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

As long as it's successfully been done before, I think we should try to do without it. Worst case scenario, we rush order one at Breckenridge. I've spoke to Teresa in depth about this and from the start, she's agreed that we don't need one. She's one of those anti-cooking hippies who believes heat kills nutrients. (Teresa, if you're reading this... Yes, I just called you a hippie)

Thanks Mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fisher View Post
    As long as it's successfully been done before, I think we should try to do without it. Worst case scenario, we rush order one at Breckenridge. I've spoke to Teresa in depth about this and from the start, she's agreed that we don't need one. She's one of those anti-cooking hippies who believes heat kills nutrients. (Teresa, if you're reading this... Yes, I just called you a hippie)

Thanks Mags.
    Trail Sushi........

Totally off topic, but...

SNOW GEESE! (In South Dakota)

Click here (link to imgur, an image uploading website)

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    it all boils down
    No pun intended...
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

So, a little update... Teresa and I have had a few months of hell at work recently. Basically, one of the children I've taken care of full time for the past two years, hung herself out of her second story bedroom window. I heard the noise and responded quickly due to knowing something wasn't right with her. I went to her room, opened the door and approached her window to find her hanging lifelessly be an orange extension cord. I grabbed the cord and rolled out the window. With our combined weight, the cord broke. We landed on the ground, she wasn't breathing, I untied and unwrapped the cord and started CPR. She started breathing shortly after. I stabilized her airway until EMS arrived. Road with her to the ER, and long story short, she's fine. The problem was... My employer needed someone to blame for this incident. They investigated and combed through our reports. The last person to speak to the girl was her counselor, who made an emergency stop at our residence upon our request. The counselor left saying everything was fine and she was going to bed. Thirty minutes later she was hanging from the side of the building. My employer focused on my statement of "I knew something was seriously wrong, I had no intention of sleeping because of how strongly I felt." And also, they blamed me for the student having access to the extension cord in the first place. So long story short again, what I thought would be inconceivable happened. I was fired. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it to be honest. I thought they should have gave me a significant raise for my efforts, not fire me. So anyways, it took about 45 days for them to come to that conclusion. They asked me to work to the end of the school year though... I thought, I could handle that, but I couldn't. I ended up checking myself into a mental institution for 10 days. Teresa and I decided to leave that whole situation in the past. We drove to Cortez, CO to visit family, acclimate and hike. We plan to do the CT as soon as the snow is clear. Our gear list and itinerary has changed a good bit since this thread started, and I think we will be ready.

After the CT, we will need to find new jobs. We are thinking we may settle down in Durango, to be close to family who live in Cortez. (We aren't a big fan of cortez) So, if anyone reading this is planning on doing the CT in a couple - three weeks, I hope to see you there!

Anywho, we've hiked just about everything in Mesa Verde. We hiked some of the western CT terminus today and we'll be doing more hiking until the snow clears. Our latest gear ravs are about our GoLite umbrellas. They're lightweight and wonderful! An instant must have after we experienced our first rain. We ditched our solar panel for a biolite camp stove. We are still testing it and we may ditch it too if we don't like it, but so far, we like it! We're going to skip Buena Vista as a resupply point, and do snack/restaurant stops by Copper Mountain and Princeton Hot Springs, helping us make it from Breckenridge to Salida without a full resupply. We'd wait until July, but we're getting so impatient already! Once Section 7 clears, we'll probably make a run for it!

Daniel, I'm sorry for what you went through on all fronts. Risking injury to yourself to save this girl's life should have gotten you rewarded, not fired. I hope that hiking the CT will bring you a measure of peace and solace. Best wishes to you on the hike and your future plans.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Daniel, the wilderness can be a healing place.

I hope the CT, and the other local journeys, can bring some healing and peace into your life.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++