WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default pack good idea on a 16lb jack Russell?

Is it worth it buying a pack for s small dog? I have a jrt who weighs about 16lbs should I get him a pack?

My daughter bought this pack at Trail Days. It's a Trail Hound pack... www.trailhound.com It's held up well and has quite a few AT miles on it. Tamber- her Cairn Terrier is a "cool" AT dog.

Images

Thanks for the link HikerMomKD, I've been looking for that type of pack.
    My dog is a Bassador, stands almost a foot & half high @ the shoulders less if your measuring from the ground to his deep Basset hound chest. His current weight is 54 lbs. which per the vets is a over by 3 pounds.
    I was planning on modifying his harness adding a handle if I couldn't find a suitable pack one that wouldn't drag on the ground.
    As to what gear he would carry well real lite items like his brush, poop bags, rain coat, his sleeping mat, and his soon to be made booties. He has Basset style legs & paws so normal boots don't work.
    The more room I can make in my pack the more of his special kibble I can carry.
    We both have a medium quick pace but break often so we carry extra eats.

Beautiful hiking partner your daughter has.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post

My daughter bought this pack at Trail Days. It's a Trail Hound pack... www.trailhound.com It's held up well and has quite a few AT miles on it. Tamber- her Cairn Terrier is a "cool" AT dog.
    That's 'bout cute. He could carry his chew toy and a biscuit.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Haa to cute...

How do you post a link for pix on wb?

Quote Originally Posted by pelenaka View Post
    Thanks for the link HikerMomKD, I've been looking for that type of pack.
    My dog is a Bassador, stands almost a foot & half high @ the shoulders less if your measuring from the ground to his deep Basset hound chest. His current weight is 54 lbs. which per the vets is a over by 3 pounds.
    I was planning on modifying his harness adding a handle if I couldn't find a suitable pack one that wouldn't drag on the ground.
    As to what gear he would carry well real lite items like his brush, poop bags, rain coat, his sleeping mat, and his soon to be made booties. He has Basset style legs & paws so normal boots don't work.
    The more room I can make in my pack the more of his special kibble I can carry.
    We both have a medium quick pace but break often so we carry extra eats.

Beautiful hiking partner your daughter has.
    Thanks, I'll pass along the compliment! Glad you found the website helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    That's 'bout cute. He could carry his chew toy and a biscuit.
    Yup, she carries her own food etc....

Thanks GB... it's a "girl dog".. Tamber. She LOVES to hike and meet all the hikers on the trail.

My daughter said, more than one hiker told her that when they first saw Tamber hiking, they thought (to themselves), this wimpy lil dog can't hike long distance. They thought she would be arriving at camp all tuckered out, barely able to move.... nope. She still had lots of energy left at the end of the day. She went around meeting and greeting everyone she could.... So, after that observation, ppl told my daughter that Tamber was the coolest trail dog they had ever met! She was given a trail name- "Yogi". She's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    How do you post a link for pix on wb?
    They had different size packs ... Tamber is about 12lbs. I think it would be a great pack for your Jack Russell.....

Do you want me to post pics from their web site? I posted my pic, like this... I just click on a pic. Right click -hit copy. Then put the cursor in the reply box. Right click- then hit paste.

Oh i see the site isn't showing pics of their products .... it looks like it's down.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 03-13-2013 at 13:22.

Images

Thanks, I'll pass along the compliment! Glad you found the website helpful!

Yup, she carries her own food etc....

Thanks GB... it's a "girl dog".. Tamber. She LOVES to hike and meet all the hikers on the trail.

My daughter said, more than one hiker told her that when they first saw Tamber hiking, they thought (to themselves), this wimpy lil dog can't hike long distance. They thought she would be arriving at camp all tuckered out, barely able to move.... nope. She still had lots of energy left at the end of the day. She went around meeting and greeting everyone she could.... So, after that observation, ppl told my daughter that Tamber was the coolest trail dog they had ever met! She was given a trail name- "Yogi". She's awesome!
    I'll BET she's a yogi if she's anything like our dogs. And she clearly gets more exercise. Very cute.

Anything to slow those crazy little bastards down I say.
    Just kidding. Love those guys.

Works with my daughter though.

So how much weight does Tamber carry? I'm always amused when I meet people with big hulking Newfoundlands and such carrying nothing.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    So how much weight does Tamber carry? I'm always amused when I meet people with big hulking Newfoundlands and such carrying nothing.
    She weighs between 12-14 lbs... depending on how much she's been hiking lately...

She weighs between 12-14 lbs... depending on how much she's been hiking lately...
    Sorry, I meant in her pack.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have a Jack Russell Terror...I mean terrier and I sincerely think with the proper motivation he could carry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Sorry, I meant in her pack.
    My bad I read it wrong....
    My daughter said Tamber's pack weighed about 3 lbs fully loaded. She said they aren't supposed to carry more than 25% of their weight. Tamber was at least 2 years old. She said you shouldn't take them backpacking any younger than 2.

Maybe just get him a clutch purse, hehe

My daughter walks a Jack Russel every day after school rain or shine for a family down the street, that's neat little dog man. I guess if you go pretty light it wouldn't be a problem.

Great pic of Tamber... Some nice sun fade on that pack!! Little dogs will shock people with their energy and stamina
    thanks for posting!!

Trail hound doesn't build anymore so think ill try ruff wear approach but $70+ is slot hot a fog pzck

I wonder if that dog could cary two pints of crown?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    I wonder if that dog could cary two pints of crown?
    This just caused to me look at my dog and reevaluate the advantages of taking him with me the next time I'm in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++