WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I don't own any Darn Tough socks, guess I'll try em out at some point. I always shop the sales, and so far been able to find "buy one sock, get one free"....always!

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Try their womens sizes, you can never tell.
    They have some boring sedate colors if you're shy
    Do womens come in size 13?

I caught a pair at trail days and wearing nothing but that one pair of socks lasted me until bear mountain NY. Furthermore I'm sure I would have gotten more life out of them if my shoe size hadn't grown to the point that my shoes were too tight.

Question for you guys:
    Do you wear the Darn Tough Socks with a liner sock, or do they work by themselves? My feet sweat a lot (perhaps that's too much information) and as such I've always found that a liner sock (like a coolmax type) works very well for wicking, while having the wool sock (in my case, Wigwams) on the outside does a nice job of providing all the creature comforts one looks for in a sock (soft inner, durable outer, stretchy and contoured, etc). Do they wick sweat well enough to negate the use of a liner sock?

Images

I bought a couple of pair while on sale - I'm not a real fan of them so far. They seem to be a bit snug on my 13W feet and I got the extra-large. They also don't seem to have the cushion of my LLBean Cresta hiking socks. They do seem as if they would last a while - the weave is tight, the material seems well made and I like the style of the design.

I liked my ThorLo hiking socks as well. I get more of them.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I bought a variety of Darn Toughs at the factory sale this fall, they make a lot of styles and some have more cushioning than others. I particularly like their military spec socks, real thick cushioning. I wear size 13 EEEE and was right on the edge of their large and X large. THe X larges are a bit long for me but do have a bit more width, but the larges work. Price was right.

I like them a lot, but I prefer thin synthetic socks because they're lighter and breathe better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Do womens come in size 13?
    No idea, but call the customer service folks and they can probably hook you up. All kidding aside, the womens sizes might fit better at specific points like heels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
    I don't own any Darn Tough socks, guess I'll try em out at some point. I always shop the sales, and so far been able to find "buy one sock, get one free"....always!
    http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Losing-...ashing-Machine

maybe one day your sock orphanage can close its doors

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Losing-...ashing-Machine

maybe one day your sock orphanage can close its doors
    The first place i look for runaways...is behind the dryer, sometimes thee there, some times there not......

I think it's the barrowers at work here

Quote Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
    The first place i look for runaways...is behind the dryer, sometimes thee there, some times there not......

I think it's the barrowers at work here
    I blame the underpants gnomes

Quote Originally Posted by oroy38 View Post
    Question for you guys:
    Do you wear the Darn Tough Socks with a liner sock, or do they work by themselves?
    No, some people still wear liners and swear by them but a lot of us stopped wearing them after the wool socks stopped being super itchy and now find that they're just another thing to clump up and cause blisters.

I have had pretty good success with my two pair so far.

Journal Entries

I gots some.
    They are OK.
    I only use the lightest "mesh" ones, for cycling and running
    That have no cushion, just fabric

I like my Defeet wooleators a bit better though. Not as tight in toesies, a bit thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I find with my DTS, they shrink up a bit in the wash and are a little snug when I put them on at first (size 12 shoe, size L sock). But soon, the shape conforms to my foot.
    It almost looks like he's got the toe of the sock twisted in that pic.

I've also found that shrinking/stretching process to be important to getting a good fit. By the time my darn toughs are broken in I end up with an obvious left and right sock.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    They then hold that shape all week (I wear them for a week without washing - they don't smell).
    It's usually about a month of wear before mine start smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Did I hear my name? IMO...they're good socks and will last a long time but I dont care for the pair I have, the weave is too dense, thereby the toughness I guess, so they don't have the cushion some of the other brands have. I'm no sock engineer but my guess is that the more cushion they have the shorter the life, the pair I have has found it's way to the back of the drawer.
    My dad and girlfriend stand all day at work and like cushiony socks to help with that. I wouldn't recommend darn toughs for that, there are thicker, squishier wool socks out there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++