WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

OP, actually, I find this one of the most inspiring stories here. A REAL person attempting (not an athlete driving to beat the AT in 60 days), hitting all kinds of roadblocks that require common sense to say enough is enough, and willing to have another go at it, armed with more knowledge and experience. This is the human touch, with all the struggles and still with hope.

(I want to sing "...climb every mountain...."

Reminds me of my solo travels around the country in an RV....I hit so many blockades, and while I did manage to hurdle them, some really were very challenging (one even life-threatening).

You were right to "pull over" as it were, and stop. Alone in the mountains during snow, rain, thunder and hail, with physical health clamping down.

But you're an inspiration to have another go at it. And it would be fine to also NOT have another go at it. One needs to know when enough is enough...and you seem to know.

Smart man, that.

Journal Entries
    Images

It isn't just "A Walk in the Woods". I am sure Bryson created that title tongue in cheek. Everyone should learn a lesson from your experience. Prepare physically and spiritually for this hike. Learn all you can about the climate of the Appalachians. Use your equipment until your are comfortable with it. Find a way to keep yourself aware of the approaching weather. Plan for extreme circumstances of every kind.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Great story, thanks for sharing and I hope to meet you on the trail some day. Your story made me think of one of my favorite short stories, To Build a Fire, by Jack London. It's sort of a morbid storie but for some reason I relate to it since for some reason I'm drawn outside in bad weather, if there's a blizzard or hard rain storm I'm normally out in it walking, dont know why the attraction.
    Great story, that! Classic Greek tragedy with the twist that the protagonist is never named, the antagonist is Mother Nature, and the Greek chorus is a dog.

My daughter's godmother is an English teacher, and had assigned that story to her class about a week before I took my daughter on her first winter ascent of a 4000-footer in New York. Godmother gave me a piece of her mind, let me tell you!

As far as the tendon stress goes - you need to get the Achilles and hamstrings stretched out. Stair climbing won't do it because the soles of your feet stay level. You need to do things like stretch with your toes on the bottom step of a staircase and your heels as low as they can go comfortably - get a good stretch going in the back of your legs. The thing with the forward insides of the ankles - that's your big toe tendon (extensor hallucis) trying to oppose a too-short Achilles. Also, do you use poles? You might need them - they surely help me with my bad knees.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Thanks for sharing it! It's not often that people can put their unsuccessful ventures out there for the world to see.
    Nonsense. He had a successful two-day trip.

It satisfied Objective #1. Getting there is optional. Getting home is mandatory.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

You've all gotta admit, the OP had a hellish start to his hike.
    I've had a lightning strike within 30' of me once. It was not only scary, but a blue flame hit me across the knees and knocked me down.
    Luckily there was a shelter within a mile and I was able to get out of the storm and just relax for a few hours.
    The OP didn't have that luck.

Also, I've been in some downpours and snow squalls that are so heavy, visability is cut to 20' or less.
    But (again luckily) I had enough experience to know to immedietly set up my tent and hunker down until it was over.
    The OP was smart enough to do this also.

Starting out in winter was probably his biggest mistake.
    Not knowing what a real mountain is, another one.
    Not being in shape with at the very least, some time on a step machine, didn't help either.

If he continues to hike, he'll more than likely always be able to compare his situations to his first one and I'm betting he will never experience a worse one.
    Good job on the common sense amid all the tough luck.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

Default Hike in the Southern Mountains this Summer

"My Appalachian Trail adventure is over for this season, but I am hopelessly hooked."

Capt.--Thanks for posting your story. It wasn't the lightening, snow, your knowledge, your equipment, or your attitude that forced you off the trail, but simply the beginning, or perhaps renewal, of a debilitating foot injury.

I infer from your post that you went to Springer in order to start a prospective thru hike. After all. why else would any sane person who is not already a winter camping enthusiast (Yes, that strange species exists, see Tipi Walter's posts.) head out on the AT at this time of year? You seem to be very goal oriented. But, at this point no one can know with certainty whether or not your feet will ever allow you to complete an AT thru hike. But by all means, ive that another try.

Whiling waiting until next year to start your next thru attempt, yield to your nascent addiction, being "hooked" on mountain backpacking. Return to the southern AT during more seasonable weather (May, June, July, August, or September) simply to be up there. Not needing to prepare for winter weather, you could safely lower your pack weight at that time, perhaps carrying just 25 to 30 lbs, instead of your recent 40+ lb. load Also, take something along to entertain yourself, such as an activity, book, or audiobook. Deliberately walk slowly, doing shorter mileage days. Think of the experience as hiking, pleasantly interspersed with "back country camping", instead of a race from Georgia to northern Maine.

I've received inspiration from my father ("Grandpa Paul" Daniel). Twenty-five years ago, when he was about the same sage that I am now, 62, he retired from his zoology teaching job and then, over the course of two seasons, successfully section hiked the entire AT, mostly SOBO. He took one zero day per week and walked eight miles per day, on average. Dad carried a stove but spend lots of time cooking instead over wood fires. He probably could have walked faster but chose instead to savor the experience, hiking his own hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    "My Appalachian Trail adventure is over for this season, but I am hopelessly hooked."

Capt.--Thanks for posting your story. It wasn't the lightening, snow, your knowledge, your equipment, or your attitude that forced you off the trail, but simply the beginning, or perhaps renewal, of a debilitating foot injury.

I infer from your post that you went to Springer in order to start a prospective thru hike. After all. why else would any sane person who is not already a winter camping enthusiast (Yes, that strange species exists, see Tipi Walter's posts.) head out on the AT at this time of year? You seem to be very goal oriented. But, at this point no one can know with certainty whether or not your feet will ever allow you to complete an AT thru hike. But by all means, ive that another try.

Whiling waiting until next year to start your next thru attempt, yield to your nascent addiction, being "hooked" on mountain backpacking. Return to the southern AT during more seasonable weather (May, June, July, August, or September) simply to be up there. Not needing to prepare for winter weather, you could safely lower your pack weight at that time, perhaps carrying just 25 to 30 lbs, instead of your recent 40+ lb. load Also, take something along to entertain yourself, such as an activity, book, or audiobook. Deliberately walk slowly, doing shorter mileage days. Think of the experience as hiking, pleasantly interspersed with "back country camping", instead of a race from Georgia to northern Maine.

I've received inspiration from my father ("Grandpa Paul" Daniel). Twenty-five years ago, when he was about the same sage that I am now, 62, he retired from his zoology teaching job and then, over the course of two seasons, successfully section hiked the entire AT, mostly SOBO. He took one zero day per week and walked eight miles per day, on average. Dad carried a stove but spend lots of time cooking instead over wood fires. He probably could have walked faster but chose instead to savor the experience, hiking his own hike.
    That's a great post, yourself

Journal Entries

OOPs - I accidentally sent that last post prematurely, without proofing or adding my conclusion. Here it is:

I myself have backpacked for brief periods (typically several days, occasionally several weeks) covering perhaps 1,300 or 1,400 miles, during the past 30 years. So far I've avoided contracting either the "Thru Hiker" bug or the "2000 Miler/Section Hiker" virus. My lack of grand ambition may a good thing, because recently I've had bouts of plantar fasciitis. Also, having had a mild case of polio as child, I have never, even with conditioning, been able to walk or run as quickly as other boys and men my own age. So, I backpack about one mile per hour. At this point in my life an eight mile day along the AT, or similar trails, is a long one for me; I prefer to do five or six mile days. I gravitate to especially scenic stretches of the AT, and to equally attractive connecting trails.

Good luck recovering from that foot injury, Captain Nate! And, let us know about how the training regimen has been prescribed for you is working out: keeping your finger in an electric socket, while on a tread mill, in a freezer. Do you ever backpack on the Florida Trail? That might be more fun than the treadmill, at least for a little longer this spring. Swimming is also a great low impact means of developing strength and aerobic fitness.

Thank you Mr. Siestita, Yes, I have hiked over 100 miles of the Florida Trail and done pieces of that section numerous times. That is what I based my image of what hiking is. Knee to waist deep water and mud would not have surprised me so. Solid swarms of mosquitoes and debilitating heat are the only obstacles I've had to endure.

Though the steep mountains were an obstacle, they were beautiful! The cold air smelled and felt so fresh and clean, I loved it. I stopped to catch my breath on the south side of Springer, looked down where the snow was landing on my jacket and gloves, and saw actual snowflakes for the first time!

I will get some tsk tsks from folks for going to the mountains for the first time in the winter, but I didn't die, didn't get frostbite, and saw things for the first time that they have come to take for granted. I had a great and magical time. The excitement will carry me through the long hot summer. Local friends and family are catching my excitement and there is talk of some trips up there this summer. That will give me a chance to practice walking in the mountains and see how my exercise is working.

I'm going to start out shocking myself with a car battery and try to work up to more voltage. In case I didn't mention it, it hurt like all get out when I got zapped!

Images

capt nat
    thank you so much for your story. its great to hear the "failures" even more than the successes. I still learn something new everytime i go out for a few days. its the "failures" we learn from to make us better the next time around. many are too embarrassed to post when they dont achieve their goal,or they suffer a setback.and like you found out, you can research all you want, but until you're out there doing it, you cant really know what to expect.
    but if you learn, and help others to learn from your perils, pitfalls,mstakes and misjudgements, well its all good.
    every one of my hikes is better because of both the hikes that came before and the stories and knowledge shared here on whiteblaze.
    thank you for sharing

Journal Entries

If you can find a football stadium with steps you can access, thats a good way to get used to climbing uphill with a pack.
    Or stairwells in a really tall building too.

I am surprised that so many people are implying that the OP was "ill-prepared". The OP was actually much better prepared than many who attempt a thru hike. A 40 lb pack is lighter than many people start with (And 30-40 years ago, that is a weight many of us would have hiked with--without batting an eyelash). He had trained to the point that he could already carrying that 40 lb. pack 8-12 miles per day. He had hiking experience. (It was just on flat terrain--and in warm temperatures). We would be fortunate if many potential thru hikers were as prepared (and in as good of condition) as Capt Nat.

He had three big issues:
    1) He had no idea that hiking in real hills was so different than hiking on flatland--and the toll that difference takes on muscles and tendons.
    2) He had no reference point to what hiking in cold weather really is.

With both # 1 and # 2, given his geographic location--he had no realistic way of preparing for hills and cold. That is hardly his fault.

3) His ankles/legs let him down. He became injured. Nothing more. Nothing less. That hardly makes him "ill-prepared". Snow, ice, cold, getting hit by lightening, rain, shortness of breath did not stop him. He still hiked on until his injured ankles could essentially go no further. How many of us could say the same? (And, he still wants to come back for some more!)

My hat is off to you Capt. Nat.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Loved reading your story and thank God you are ok. That is one of the reason I am waiting to start mid April. Hoping to avoid most of that kind of weather. Good luck in your next attempt.

This thread reminds me of a phenomenon that I see often on WhiteBlaze. Many of the WB posters take for granted that most people can get out to "real" trails with relative ease. That is perhaps fairly easy if one lives in many places in the Eastern part or the Western part of the country (and even in small portions of the middle section of the country. However, for those of us in vast portions of the Midwest and Plains--it is a challenge for us to get to real trails--especially longer trails with serious hills and significant wilderness areas and distance. Thus, it is not as easy for us to have training hikes and "serious" shakedown hike.

For me to get to "real" trails is easily a 6-12 hour drive (one way) Significant mountain trails are 10-16 hours away (one way). It makes it a challenge to get out to these places for a "weekend hike".

Once, someone suggested to me online that I train for an upcoming hike by hiking on the hills and mountains near my home. I jokingly replied: "In central Illinois--our idea of a hill or mountain is the pitcher's mound at the local baseball field".

Those of you located close to the AT, the Rockies and many other mountains and trail systems really need to celebrate how great you have it. For me to do a weekend trip on the AT requires roughly a 20-24 hour roundtrip drive. To get to the Rockies is a 26-28 hour roundtrip drive.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Default It's Not Just Walking

One suggestion a little closer to you - here in sand dune SW Michigan you don't have the same height, but the 3 steps up, 2 steps down does a pretty good conditioning job too. Shouldn't be more then 4-6 depending where in IL you are.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    I am surprised that so many people are implying that the OP was "ill-prepared".
    Ummmm . . . . Capt Nat labeled himself as 'clueless and unprepared'. I would agree, though, that Capt Nat was better prepared than many. As I mentioned in my original reply, I have seen plenty of 'clueless and unprepared' hikers.

My take on the original post was that Capt Nat overestimated his own abilities and underestimated the requirements of walking in the mountains. He made a good decision to stop on that first night when he could go no further. But a better decision would have been to stop at Black Gap Shelter. Who knows how things would have turned out.

Many hikers push themselves too hard in that first week. I like to suggest to start with an itinerary with less than 10 mile days and to stick to it. If you get to a shelter or campsite too soon, stop anyway and wait for the next hiker to show up and then talk gear the rest of the day.

I think Capt Nat did fine and my hat also goes off to him. I'm sure alot of hikers will read this thread and maybe a few will make adjustments accordingly. But there will probably be more that will shrug it off and just think 'I'll be ok, I'm better prepared than Capt Nat.' Who knows? Personally, I just want everyone to enjoy their hike and possibly minimize the misery at the beginning.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Ps. I spent 20 years in the Navy in Food Service . . . I spent ALOT of time in walk-in freezers . . . . brrrrr

Journal Entries

Default Your not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    Thank you Mr. Siestita, Yes, I have hiked over 100 miles of the Florida Trail and done pieces of that section numerous times. That is what I based my image of what hiking is. Knee to waist deep water and mud would not have surprised me so. Solid swarms of mosquitoes and debilitating heat are the only obstacles I've had to endure.

Though the steep mountains were an obstacle, they were beautiful! The cold air smelled and felt so fresh and clean, I loved it. I stopped to catch my breath on the south side of Springer, looked down where the snow was landing on my jacket and gloves, and saw actual snowflakes for the first time!

I will get some tsk tsks from folks for going to the mountains for the first time in the winter, but I didn't die, didn't get frostbite, and saw things for the first time that they have come to take for granted. I had a great and magical time. The excitement will carry me through the long hot summer. Local friends and family are catching my excitement and there is talk of some trips up there this summer. That will give me a chance to practice walking in the mountains and see how my exercise is working.

I'm going to start out shocking myself with a car battery and try to work up to more voltage. In case I didn't mention it, it hurt like all get out when I got zapped!
    I left out of Springer last April 8th. Survivor Dave gave me and another hiker a ride to trail. Hiked for 12 days, got lucky and had no injuries. Going to pick up where left off last year this April 12th. Lots I hiked with did not make their distance they wanted All kinds of reasons.

One hiker that was young and experienced-light pack and all. He got home sick and pulled out at a gap.

Several hikers blew knees-some with youth on their side-pushed downhills too hard.

Some had dogs that messed up their paws.

Some ran out of money too soon.

One guy I met just was not in the right shape(round) it did not work on the trail.

Feet problems knocked off some to.

Some got sick.

Ok this was in just 12 days, think what the thru's could tell us how many they saw dreams end short. I went to Trail Days and ran back into several of the thru's that were still living their dreams and saw some of the names in the AT mag that just came out that made it all the way to K. So, my point to all this Capt. Nat is try again next year - it is a fine line you make it or you don't. The dream is the fun part, the rest is walking and trying not to get knocked off the trail before you want to. Hike On!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    ...I like to suggest to start with an itinerary with less than 10 mile days and to stick to it. If you get to a shelter or campsite too soon, stop anyway and wait for the next hiker to show up and then talk gear the rest of the day....
    Regarding physical conditioning, this makes the most sense to me and it's advice I give when asked: first of all, get yourself in aerobic shape so that your first day up the Approach Trail isn't like Bill Bryson's - and now Capt. Nat's - and secondly, do low mileage in the first week, even if your aerobic fitness would let you continue because of the strain on other parts of the body - feet, knees, quads, hips et. al.

Of course those hikers who live near mountains and have time to condition themselves in AT-like settings are in a better stead to start strong and hike more miles at the outset.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 03-15-2013 at 20:30.

I agree with the OP.

Unless you're in one of Warren's Doyle's Circle Expeditions which is basically just walking, hiking the AT with a backpack is not "just walking"

Quote Originally Posted by FatHead64 View Post
    One suggestion a little closer to you - here in sand dune SW Michigan you don't have the same height, but the 3 steps up, 2 steps down does a pretty good conditioning job too. Shouldn't be more then 4-6 depending where in IL you are.
    Thanks for the idea. The commute to the dunes is 5-7 hours one-way (10-14 hours roundtrip) depending on the Chicago area traffic and which dunes I would be going to.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++